Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Marvelon - pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The doctor has put me on Marvelon, it's a brand of pill. Just wondering if any of you people use it, or what you've heard about it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Marvelon - pill
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    The doctor has put me on Marvelon, it's a brand of pill. Just wondering if any of you people use it, or what you've heard about it.

From a random website - Marvelon® is a low dose Pill. Each of the 21 tablets active contains small amount of hormones. There are 30 microgram of an estrogen - called ethinyl estradiol - and 150 microgram of a progestogen - called desogestrel. These hormones mimic the natural sex hormones from your own ovaries. (They are made from a special type of yam-plant that grows in Mexico).

(http://www.inhousepharmacy.co.uk/bcp-hormones/marvelon.html)

Looks ok to me.
    It is a relatively new pill. I can look up some information at work for you if you're still interested?
    My friend's on it. I don't know much about it apart from that it's low dose so it shouldn't give you as many side effects in theory. But that's only what I've heard from her and she's no doctor so don't take my work for it.
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    My friend's on it. I don't know much about it apart from that it's low dose so it shouldn't give you as many side effects in theory. But that's only what I've heard from her and she's no doctor so don't take my work for it.

what sort of side effects you talking about exactly?... ie bigger boobs and lower sex drive? :confused:
    marvelon is usually prescribed to girls who are coming off the pill 'dianette'. i think its good for the skin. so i presume its quite safe if its like a 'step down' from another pill.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    It is a relatively new pill. I can look up some information at work for you if you're still interested?

It's not relatively new. It was one of the first pills of its kind available in the USA. Possibly it's newish to Britain though.
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    It's not relatively new. It was one of the first pills of its kind available in the USA. Possibly it's newish to Britain though.
    Ah I'd better get onto MIMS then and let them know :)
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Be nice of you if you could. Im still interested. Reading through the leaflet is kinda confusing. Doc suggested i try that one cos i can get acne...
    Yeah the reason my friend got Marvelon was because she was prone to bad skin and other pills like Microgynon (the one they tend to start people off on) can make it worse.