Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First in a while

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
During a dream on Saturday night, i developed a migraine, and sure enough, when i woke up from the dream, my head was pounding, my heart was racing, and that all too familiar sick feeling was setting in. Knowing all too well that if I took pain killers then and there, they would come back up in a while, i laid in agony for the sick feeling to reach its peak, went to the toilet and was (unsupprisingly) sick. Brushed my teeth as I always do after reversing my dinner, and took 2 panadol extra, as i had ran out of Ibuleve (painkiller with ibuprofen to reduce swelling) and went back to bed. Slept through most of Sunday, waking up on and off in extreme agony taking more painkillers and trying desperately to sleep again whilst avoiding the light coming through the window.
Now, this was my first migraine in over 6 or 7 months. This morning the dull pain is still lurking in my head, around the front and at the top of my neck, what i call the residual migraine headache, but I can't understand what set it off. I used to put it down to stress, and whilst i was doing A-levels i used to (yet again unsupprisingly) get them a lot. Saturday was a quite day though, went out for a meal, then caught Kill Bill at the cinema with the other half, and was in bed by midnight, not a drop of alcohol consumed, no arguments, a very peaceful day.
Do any of you guys suffer from migraine attacks? What painkillers/anti-inflamateries do you use? Have you any ideas as to what causes yours? I would do a search on google, but I would prefer personal reponses before i get pointed towards www.search-for-it-you-lazy-bugger.com

Thanks in advance guys n girls
Euly :)

Comments

• Options
    Re: First in a while
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    During a dream on Saturday night, i developed a migraine, and sure enough, when i woke up from the dream, my head was pounding, my heart was racing, and that all too familiar sick feeling was setting in.

sorry no advice on the migraine but you describe the same thing that happened to me during saturday night except it wasnt migraine but i was having a bad hypo(low blood sugar levels, im diabetic). it was so weird, i dreamt i was hypo and couldnt get rid of it and then i woke up and thought wtf is going on.my heart was pounding out my chest and the sweat was pouring down my neck. guess it was my bodies way of telling me " your having a bad hypo, wake up and do something you fool". it was wierd, in 16 years of being diabetic thats never happened!
  • Options
    I suffered from migraines a few years ago. I was put on tablets... I can't remember for the life of me what they were called. They were yellow though, 0.5mg, to be taken once a day every day. I was on them for about a year, and haven't had a single migraine since. I was most impressed, especially considering how bad they were.

I don't actually remember taking anything to ease the pain during the migraine though.. I suppose I must have done. Or I just suffered/slept through it. Or whatever I took came straight back up again. Hmmm. :confused:
  • Options
    Yeah i suffer from Migranes quite badly, well i used to get horrid horrid attacks, Sickness, Feeling like theres a knife in my head, my Right arm would go numb and i'd loose my eyesight (it'd go all blurry and static like)

First thing i did was go see my doctor about it, they can prescribe you stuff if you get them really bad (beta blockers etc) unfortunatly i can't take anything like that because of a previous heart condition, but i get Migraleave on prescription (cause it's cheaper) or i get Co Codomol/Co Proxymol on prescription they seem to work better than Ibuprofen if i'm having a bad attack, but normally as soon as i see the tell tale loss of vision coming on i'll pop two Ibuprofen and that normally nips it in the bud (i might have to suffer 10-20 mins of excruciating pain but for some reason they don't last as long now.

Also i went to the opticians and turns out i needed glasses so all the squinting i was doing was triggering them, but mainly for me it was Bright sunlight.

Another thing, if you don't exercise regular try that it helped me,

PM me if you want a natter about it
  • Options
    I used to get stomach migraines, which are basically the same but no bad head- pain in stomach instead. I was having a really rough time and my doctor gave me Paramax, which is a painkiller and anti-nausea drug in one. It helped but not enough so he put me on Pizotifen which is basically an anti-migraine drug. What you described sounds pretty horrible, so maybe it might be worth going to your GP and asking for meds. And depression caused mine- as soon as I was put on anti-depressants, they just disappeared Good luck:)
  • Options
    Stinger, sounds like your migraines cause the same effects as mine, and i know what you mean about the beginnings when your visions goes stupid as if you have looked directly at the sun/a bright bulb. Id normally take a few painkillers, but then i would have to go to sleep, because they still dont stop the pain completely.

Question to all of you who have replied, were any of you told what might cause your migraines? Anything in particular that could kick them off?
  • Options
    Pain killers eh?

I've found Voltarol to be quite useful, they come in these neat little triangle pills that disolve and turn the water pink so you dont have to swallow a nasty pill. 50-100mg of that and any aches/pains I have go away.

Tramadol, this is technically above Voltarol in the scale of painkillers, its sort of an opiate, but not really, its actually in the same family of drugs as asprin and Ibruprofen, they're Non-steroidal Anti-inflamatory drugs.
    This does work for pain well, 50mg is relatively strong but 75-100mg will numb most pain. However these can be quite nasty on the stomach and cause it to be more upset which Voltarol doesnt really do for me.

Obviously there is also Codine in various forms, its quite good but it can back your intestines quite badly which is nasty. Its soft on the stomach though. I've found that about 60-100mg will do the job nicely.
  • Options
    Currently taking Co-Codamol 10/500 tablets... one three times a day apparently is the recommended dosage, 2 4 time a day keeps me happy :)
  • Options
    I always think its such a skank when they prescribe things like that, you can get stronger things over the counter and in most cases its cheaper to do that too.

The 10/500's your talking about are really weak, as I was saying really you want about 50mg of codine to ease strong pain.

Can you get Nurofen Max over there? Thats got 12.8mg Codine to 200mg Ibruprofen, they are good, they work well for my mrs when she has nasty head aches.

If its really bad you could take the Nurofen Max with the 10/500 you have been prescribed as the Ibruprofen and the paracetamol dont react badly with each other.
  • Options
    These werent prescribed to me, they were to my mum, who was in hospital with chronic migraine for 2 weeks... along with a load of other pills...

These will do just now, if it gets worse, ill try get some NuroMax :)

Cheers bongy
  • Options
    Luckily i haven't had one for quite some time, but when i used to suffer they also made me violently sick so couldn't take anything to start with.
    The doctor told me it was quite possible that it was caused by something i ate. At the time it was something on pizzas my body didn't like.
    I also found eggs to trigger them, it was a case of finding a pattern in things i ate before it happened.
  • Options
    That really does take the piss, you get hospitalised for the head ache and they give you 10mg codine three times a day!

You can barely feel a dose that small.

Also I have heard if you are having them regularly you should keep a little diary, what you ate, and so on, then you can look over and see a patern. Same with allegies.
  • Options
    Eul Grep, I've never found out what actually caused my Migranes all though if it was particularly bright then i tended to get them more, other than that it was a mystery, all though i seem to have been fortunate and they just got progressivly better since i left college, fraid i can't really offer much more help :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Stinger
    Eul Grep, I've never found out what actually caused my Migranes all though if it was particularly bright then i tended to get them more, other than that it was a mystery, all though i seem to have been fortunate and they just got progressivly better since i left college, fraid i can't really offer much more help :(

That happened to me. Once i finished my alevels, they seemed to get better, and the frequency of them dropped. This is why the doctor and I put it down to stress.
  • Options
    Yeah thats from what you say i would say thats the most likely cause of them, i had a bad period when i was getting really stressted about work and had 4 days on the trot wih migranes! being blind for the better part of 4 days really funks you up
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    Currently taking Co-Codamol 10/500 tablets

They are my life line when i get ill lol.
  • Options
    I know what causes mine, it's dark chocolate, which is a bitch :) I get the blank spots in my vision too - it's because of the blood vessels to the brain constricting. That's what causes pins and needles too, which i also get round my mouth and in my fingers. Very scary.

GIRLS - If you get any of those symptoms when you're on the combined pill, go to the doctors IMMEDIATELY. Having aura migranes (which is what those symptoms are called) whilst on the pill increases your risk of stroke from 1 in 100,000 to 2.7 in 10,000. Mightily scary.