Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Face-scans and fingerprints

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Recently, the USA decided that people going there would have their face scanned and fingerprint inked, so that they will be better able to control them in case some of them are terrorists. Certain countries were excluded from this.

First, doesn't anyone think that this measure is a bit... exaggerated?
Second, and most important, seperating people in two categories depending on their ethinicity, is not only stupid (IMHO) but insulting. They're basically telling people "You're from *insert country here*, welcome to our beautiful country, go through freely" and "Wait, you're from *insert another country here*? Sit over there, you, and tell us what the **** you want in our country? We'll be watching you."

Yes, there is anger in those words, and yes, part of this is because my country is not of the excluded ones. But that's beside the point, as this seperation is totally unfounded, as there's the same chance someone is a terrorist (or any other kind of criminal) irrelevantly of their origin.
I made a quick search on the board and found nothing on this. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In my opinion the United States are free to impose whatever restrictions they see fit on foreigners entering the United States, and the facts are that those who are continually attacking the United States in the past twenty years have been from Arab states, usually Saudi Arabia.

In my opinion the United States are perfectly entitled to impsoe these restrictions, because no-one is forcing you to go to the United States. If the US was imposing them on its own people that would be a different matter, but foreigners can choose to enter the US or not.

If they dont like the rules, they should go and visit Canada instead. Its nicer.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Note that I wasn't angry about the measures, but that they are not for everyone who enters. If it was only for the countries you describe I'd be more understanding, but not completely.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Note that I wasn't angry about the measures, but that they are not for everyone who enters. If it was only for the countries you describe I'd be more understanding, but not completely.

The measures are for those countries whose passports are not deemed "secure" enough by the US Government. In order for the British to get into the US it will be necessary to purchase a visa, costing £65 each, with the retina and fingerprint scans on them.

Personally I dont want to go somewhere where they want that information, so I wont.
  • Options
    What angers me most as an American is that whatever rules are imposed on foreigners visiting the US will be reciprocated by other countries on we Americans (and there are millions of us) who live abroad.

All the Bush admin is proving is that it has learned nothing from the disrepute it has already brought upon our foreign policy and are only intent on furthering the erosion of constructive relations through even more draconian and ineffective measures aimed at giving the illusion of enhanced security.
  • Options
    i have to agree with kermit.
    wether you believe it neccessary or flawed is besides the point.
  • Options
    When it comes to addressing misguided and arbitrary policies which in fact hurt America, I personally consider that very much the point and one which needs to be hammered home in order to force such measures to be abolished along with the police state mechanisms from whence they arise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    When it comes to addressing misguided and arbitrary policies which in fact hurt America, I personally consider that very much the point and one which needs to be hammered home in order to force such measures to be abolished along with the police state mechanisms from whence they arise.
    welcome to the age of state enforced paranoia.
    but kermits right wether anyone likes it or not. the american government keep proving his point over and over and over ...it's what this admin are determined to do.
    anyone want to place any bets ...the u's will reinlist enlisting? within the next 18 months ...?
    ...and people will be dodging the draft ...

you can get anything you want ...at alices restaurant.
  • Options
    Thing is, the US government doesn't seem to have a clue about Canada. You DONT need a VISA to enter Canada, and you don't need one if you enter the USA at some point along it's 3000 mile border.

What's that i hear, I think it's "REDNECKS".

As for me needing to fork out for a visa, America's a shithole anyway, fuck em. If they want me to pay £65 for a fancy passport then they can obviously afford to lose £30 billion from British tourists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

As for me needing to fork out for a visa, America's a shithole anyway, fuck em. If they want me to pay £65 for a fancy passport then they can obviously afford to lose £30 billion from British tourists.
    you'lll pay ...you'll all pay if necessary.
  • Options
    fuck that, id just go to canada or mexico or somewhere similar, visiting america isnt that good and theyll regret it when all their tourism goes to other countries
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    fuck that, id just go to canada or mexico or somewhere similar, visiting america isnt that good and theyll regret it when all their tourism goes to other countries
    i fear it's all to late.
    i fear that the next american election has already maybe been planned ...
  • Options
    The posters who're saying they wont visit the US, have already at many occasions on this board stated their opinion on that matter. With or without those newly imposed passports their opinion hasn't changed.

Basically, people who were already headed for the US, would pay the extra money. If you have the money for the trip, then I doubt you wont have money for the new passport.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    In my opinion the United States are free to impose whatever restrictions they see fit on foreigners entering the United States, and the facts are that those who are continually attacking the United States in the past twenty years have been from Arab states, usually Saudi Arabia.

Do you mean attacking the U.S itself or its interests outside the country? as apart from the World Trade Centre I can only think of the one done by Tim McVeigh.
  • Options
    Indeed. You make it sound as if foreign attacks on our soil were a regular occurrence Kermy. Not like you to exaggerate like that.
  • Options
    ive never been to america, and although i dont agree with its politics id still have gone there if id had the money, but now i just cant be fucked going down to london to be scanned, prodded and poked just so i can have the pleasure of being allowed in there country for a couple of weeks