Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni in England

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I currently live in Scotland and am working towards an HND in business adminstration at college at the moment, however I was considering going to uni to do a degree but wanted to do it in england just to get away from home. But would I be entitle to get anything paid for like fees or anything like that?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Uni in England
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I currently live in Scotland and am working towards an HND in business adminstration at college at the moment, however I was considering going to uni to do a degree but wanted to do it in england just to get away from home. But would I be entitle to get anything paid for like fees or anything like that?

Yep, as long as your home address remains in scotland. We moved up to Scotland four years ago, and I go to an English uni but still get my fees paid for me.
  • Options
    Also if i do complete my HND at college and go to uni could I still get straight into 3rd year like I would in scotland?
  • Options
    someone please reply and help me out :(
  • Options
    Well I'm planning to go to Derby uni hopefully however when I was looking at the entry requirments it was really hard to understand. Can anyone maybe help in some way please?
  • Options
    hey

i think i could help. what course are you wanting to do at derby? i am doing an HND too, and with that you can sometimes do a year top-up course which will convert it into an honours degree, or sometimes enter into the second year of a relevant degree program. my course, business information technology, has its own top-up course, and i'd probably be able to get into 2nd year for similar courses like information technology. do get in touch with derby and ask them about it. i'm sure you will get in :)
  • Options
    My HND is business administartion but I want to do business studies at uni.
  • Options
    ok, i would think you'd be able to do that. best to just look at the propectus and ask the admissions staff.
  • Options
    I think I might contact the uni and enquire about it.
  • Options
    A lot of it depends on the Uni's opinion of the college where you did the HND. If they dont think you will be able to handle the 3rd year they wont let you on.

It will also depend on your grade, if you pass with a high grade they are more likely to be let onto the 3rd year. But be warned I did almost exacty the same thing you are doing, I did Business HND then the 3rd year, it is quite a bit harder.
  • Options
    Unless I got completely scammed over when I was at uni, you'll have to pay fees if you go to uni in England. I live in Dumfriesshire in Scotland and went to Lancaster Uni but I still had to pay fees. I went through the SAAS (the company that deals with loans applications in Scotland) and I got a loan with no trouble (roughly £3000 a year).

As for wanting to continue on to a degree course, that depends on the university you apply to and whether they deem that your current course and results are suitable for entry into the degree. You might have to sit an entrance exam or something so you can start in 3rd year for example.

Just get in touch with the uni, they're usually very helpful - you are a business customer after all ;)