Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nicorette patch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just started them today and it says on the packet if it increases your heart rate you should see a doctor. I think it's just the nicotine as when you smoke it makes your heart pump faster. Not sure whether to take it off or not.. I don't want to cus I have only just started and it would be a waste of money.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well how badly is it going? I want to go back on the patches but its really hard to find ones im not allergic to. its the glue they put init you see...But as soon as i do i'll be off the fags for good.
    And joolzy me dear you can get them pascribed by the doc so you wont have to pay a penny, that is if your under 18 and in full time education.
    You may as well be injecting the nicotine...give the patches up - buy Allen carr, or admit you don't really want to stop..

And....Don't go wearing patches and smoking at the same time.

3.5 months (possibly longer because I'm just not counting) and no fags all through the use of .................

Allen Carr
    Originally posted by byny
    You may as well be injecting the nicotine...give the patches up -
    Allen Carr

STRONGLY disagree with that statement. Yes you are still getting nicotine but you are not inhaling it. Its a measured amount and for some people they can quit within a week, others need the patches longer and they may take 3 months, but the end result is they are no longer smokers, even if it takes 3 months.

If someone can wear patches and they do not give any side effects then they SHOULD wear them. Whatever methods someone uses to quit smoking is a good way if the end result is they pack in smoking.

Id say to anyone who is quitting smoking try any method you can be it patches, Alan Carr or go cold turkey. There will be a way that will suit us all differently and there is no right way and no wrong way, we are all different.
    Whats suits one person is not going to suit the other, so be open minded about any way to quit.
    id never tell anyone to go cold turkey, ive tried it a few times and i become a moody little bitch from hell, id cut down gradually
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    id never tell anyone to go cold turkey, ive tried it a few times and i become a moody little bitch from hell, id cut down gradually

No, but even that doesn't work.

Seriously, byny is right. The Allen Carr book is very very good, and well worth spending £9.99 on- that's only 30 fags these days though!
    you can get them pascribed by the doc so you wont have to pay a penny, that is if your under 18 and in full time education.

Say your on the dole then you'll get 'em free. They won't need any proof.... not round here you don't any way.

As for the heart racing thing. It's the nicotine. Nicotine is a stimulant so it will make your body more active and give you a little faster heart rate. You might as well go cold turky... the only real thing you need is determination.
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

Thats what im saying though, just because it didnt work for you does not mean it isnt going to work for everyone.

Byny quit with the Alan Carr way so obviously she is going to swear by that way. Many years ago I quit with patches, but at the end of the day patches wont work for everyone and neither will Alan Carr.
    I say be open minded about any way of quitting smoking, try to quit a particular way and if that dont work try another way.
    Whats good for one person is not good for another.
    Originally posted by Kermit

Seriously, byny is right. The Allen Carr book is very very good, and well worth spending £9.99 on- that's only 30 fags these days though!

or if your short of cash it should be available from the library, if not they will order it for you and when its available telephone you to say they have it.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Say your on the dole then you'll get 'em free. They won't need any proof.... not round here you don't any way.

Charming.

Anywho, I would recommend getting them prescribed by your GP as you can get two weeks supply for the cost of one prescription. Also, you can make appointments to be reviewed with the practice nurse who will chastise you when you do badly (hehe - only joking!). Having a person to answer to who you don't know it pretty good motivation!