Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My Job Hunting Idea

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some of you guys know I enjoy doing various events.

And had this idea that I think could help people find work.

I used to work as an IT contractor and the worse thing about finding a new contract or job is having to deal with IT employment agencies.

Everything is like cloak and daggers, they'll post vauge details of some job on a website but they never tell you any kind of specifics and they'll never tell you who the company is because they are worried you'll go to them directly. Most won't even tell you the area in which the jobs are.. and I foudn they treat people pretty badly because all you are to them is their next commission.

I plan to do a big event in London (to start with) to help match up employers with jobs on offer with people that want those jobs - cutting out the problems and hassles of going through an agency.

The idea is to cut out the middleman and meet the employers directly face to face and have maybe up to 10 job interviews in one night.

A company will do perhaps a 10 minute presentation of their company and the job they have on offer and then people there looking for jobs can ask questions.

Then the next company comes up and does the same, until maybe 10 companies have done a presentation. Then after a break and some food the interviews begin and people go up to the booth of the job they liked the sound of and with their CV in hand have a maximum of an initial 10 minute interview. And then on to the next booth, so maybe they can have upto 10 interviews in a night if they are lucky.

Then maybe the companies can call back the people they think suitable later on in the week at their own premises.

So that my idea ... I have no idea how I'd get the ball rolling on this one, quite a lot more difficult then doing a singles event.. but what do you guys think of the basic idea?

Part of my aim is to also cut down the huge chunk of cash agencies get so that more goes to the employee - I know what it's like to leave Uni and go for that first job through an agency only to discover for every hour you work the agency gets more money then you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: My Job Hunting Idea
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    As some of you guys know I enjoy doing various events.

And had this idea that I think could help people find work.

I used to work as an IT contractor and the worse thing about finding a new contract or job is having to deal with IT employment agencies.

Everything is like cloak and daggers, they'll post vauge details of some job on a website but they never tell you any kind of specifics and they'll never tell you who the company is because they are worried you'll go to them directly. Most won't even tell you the area in which the jobs are.. and I foudn they treat people pretty badly because all you are to them is their next commission.

I plan to do a big event in London (to start with) to help match up employers with jobs on offer with people that want those jobs - cutting out the problems and hassles of going through an agency.

The idea is to cut out the middleman and meet the employers directly face to face and have maybe up to 10 job interviews in one night.

A company will do perhaps a 10 minute presentation of their company and the job they have on offer and then people there looking for jobs can ask questions.

Then the next company comes up and does the same, until maybe 10 companies have done a presentation. Then after a break and some food the interviews begin and people go up to the booth of the job they liked the sound of and with their CV in hand have a maximum of an initial 10 minute interview. And then on to the next booth, so maybe they can have upto 10 interviews in a night if they are lucky.

Then maybe the companies can call back the people they think suitable later on in the week at their own premises.

So that my idea ... I have no idea how I'd get the ball rolling on this one, quite a lot more difficult then doing a singles event.. but what do you guys think of the basic idea?

Part of my aim is to also cut down the huge chunk of cash agencies get so that more goes to the employee - I know what it's like to leave Uni and go for that first job through an agency only to discover for every hour you work the agency gets more money then you

Know what you mean about the agencies. It can be such a frustrating process going through them I'd rather go direct to the company. This recruitment plan seems like a good idea to me though. If you think you can organise it then go for it!
    Re: Re: My Job Hunting Idea
    Originally posted by will haycock
    Know what you mean about the agencies. It can be such a frustrating process going through them I'd rather go direct to the company. This recruitment plan seems like a good idea to me though. If you think you can organise it then go for it!

That's one huge benefit gettig to meet the people doing the actual hiring directly.

The other is to help get job seekers out of their routine.

I know what it's like when you're not working ... it's so easy to become hooked on day time TV ad stuff like that and not really end up getting much done.

The idea is to be both a career event but also social event and help get people out of the house and doing something positive and feeling better about themselves. :)
    speed interviewing...i like it :thumb:
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    speed interviewing...i like it :thumb:

Yes kind of .. I don't actually believe in Speed Dating as an entire event (Maybe a useful part of a bigger thing)

But yes.. the idea is to cut out the middleman (i.e. the employment agency) and also help break the cycle people get into when they are out of work and give them a break from endless filling out of forms and actually speak to people, get soeme interview practise, etc.