Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Serious Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I need help as soon as possible. Can anyone tell me the laws of the age of consent for seeing someone. I am 15 but the person I like is 22 and he could get fired if we see eachother. I like him a lot and he is worth it but does anyone know what the age of consent is for a none sexual relationship? Also, does the age of consent count for kissing as well?

Comments

• Options
    How could he get fired? Is he a teacher?
  • Options
    as long as your not having sex their nothing anyone can do...unless he's like your teacher or somthing. i think you are old enough to know what kissing is and to understand it but as yet there is no age of concent for kissing. but be carful cos you are under age, if you two do end up having a sexual relationship and you both feel its right for you, just dont tell anyone cos it could get him into a lot of trouble.
  • Options
    So a homosexual non-sexual relationship is fine? It doesn't run the risk of him getting in any trouble? His job is freelance so sometimes he works around kids which would mean a paedophillia charge would fuck him up.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Just so as you know, there's a new sexual offenses act coming in to operation in May. Find out more about it here.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

CB
  • Options
    Okay, so if its consensual then it would be fine? As long as it isn't a sexual relationship it will be fine?
  • Options
    Hiya,
    I take it you've read the article and to be honest it's really difficult to say because the new laws don't come into force until May, but when they do come into force there could be serious consequences around a relationship between two people of those ages (expecially as the new act could outlaw an intimate act like snogging if one or both of you is under age).

To get a clearer picture of the situation from people who'll really know it may be a good idea to call the London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard on 020 7837 7324 (it doesn't matter if you're not from London, it's just where they're based).

Hope this helps some,
    CB
  • Options
    What are the new laws though? I mean, once I am 16 in June I will be legal so I don't really have to worry do I?
  • Options
    Hiya,
    The new law will be that it is a criminal offence for any kind of sexual activity to take place between two people where one or both participants is under 16. At the moment it is basically the same.

And no, technically you won't have to worry once you're over 16 as then you'll be over the age of consent.

Hope that's clearer,
    CB
  • Options
    It does, I just need to double check everything and make sure there is no way he can get in trouble. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    So what their going to make it illigal for people under 16 to kiss now!!! thats just stupid! i think it should be 13 for kissing.
  • Options
    Yeah because, lets put it this way, 13 is too young to begin forming any relationships at all other than friendships...
  • Options
    I thought that the age of consent for homosexual sex was 18. Or is that wrong?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    So what their going to make it illigal for people under 16 to kiss now!!! thats just stupid! i think it should be 13 for kissing.

technically yes - but as it says consensual teenage fun :p will not be prosecuted :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I thought that the age of consent for homosexual sex was 18. Or is that wrong?
    Na it got changed to 16
  • Options
    Oops there's me behind the times there. Then again I've never really needed to know so my information is based on stuff I read about 6 years ago. My bad.
  • Options
    You sound mature so I hope it goes ok for you. A seven year age gap may seem like a lot, particularly as you are so young, but many such relationships have survived this kind of age-gap.

One thing...Only have sex when you feel it is right for you. There's no law saying you should jump into bed the day tou're 16 either.
  • Options
    Ain't gonna jump anywhere. I am hoping it works out good too, ain't going to be the reason he gets fired...
  • Options
    You'll be fine as long as noone finds out. I have to question what a man like him wants with a 15 year old boy.
  • Options
    Its more of a case that I like him a lot and he likes me back but he is a nice guy who ain't all on for sex...