Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

it's the end of the world as we know it!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
front page of todays Guardian ...
scients shocked by results of reasearch!
one million species will be killed off ove the next fifty years ...possibly more and possibly a lot faster than the two year study suggests.
a third of all life forms doomed by 2050.
WHAT HAVE WE DONE?

Comments

• Options
    whats worse is that hardly anyone will even care!
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    whats worse is that hardly anyone will even care!
    yes i know ...lets eat drink and be merry ...for tommorow we may die!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yes i know ...lets eat drink and be merry ...for tommorow we may die!

crikey this post is very political! not for people who are about as deep as a puddle, e.g, me :p

my science teacher said something like "we dont realise what we are doing to the world, you never know how long there is till the end" i was quite upset but i suppose its true!!!

live life to its fullest i say.
  • Options
    What!? The end of the World!!!!! :eek:
    ......again. :yeees:
  • Options
    the sad thing is that a lot of the species will have been undiscovered and we will never will have known them :crying:

one of the species could have been the cure to cancer :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    one of the species could have been the cure to cancer :yes:

like a doctorfish or something :)
  • Options
    the good news is i'll be dead and buried.
    the bad news is by the time your children are sitting their exams a large portion of the planet will be waste land. most of the trees will be gone ...the variety of foods available will be very minimal ...as will the ammount.
    we are heading for disaster. no ...you are heading for disaster!
    mortgages and carears will be a thing of the past ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blackout
    like a doctorfish or something :)

lol, made me laugh :)
  • Options
    I think the fact that everyone keeps threatening with this shit and it never happens has caused people not to take it seriously, not that it wont come true. They will take it serious when higher authorities do and they can see that they are in the shit.
  • Options
    the good news is i'll be dead and buried.
    the bad news is by the time your children are sitting their exams a large portion of the planet will be waste land. most of the trees will be gone ...the variety of foods available will be very minimal ...as will the ammount.
    we are heading for disaster. no ...you are heading for disaster!
    mortgages and carears will be a thing of the past ...
    Right then, when I have kids I'm going to emigrate to the US so they can become part of the most powerful nation with the biggest army in the world, and a huge arsnel of thermonuclear weapons! Also, they can be brought up in a society where gun ownership is easy, and they can join a gun club, and a survivalists club, and learn how to shoot and defend themselves.
    That will ensure their survival. :D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    :yes: and its probably all MY fault too.. I didn't happen to start any wars in my sleep, did I? :mad:

It scares the life out of me, but life and death in general usually does..

I think most people take the attitude of 'well its not my problem' but I suppose in a way they're right, they (we) are creating this huge mess, but we're not gonna be around to suffer to consequences
    but YOU lot are going to be around to do the suffering ...and my kids and grandchildren.
  • Options
    but YOU lot are going to be around to do the suffering ...and my kids and grandchildren.

You keep pointing that out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    You keep pointing that out.
    only trying to get the point over.
    go to a link on todays guardian front page to see how alarmed the scientistsd are! it realy is grim reading. we have been warned and warned but carried on regardless.
    sorry J but we're a million miles away from being able to adapt the plants and insects and indeed environment needed to sustain ourselves.
    what bad mood by the way?
  • Options
    maybe theres hope in this little piece written two thousand years ago by a guy who as in jail at the time ...

revelation chptr 11 ...vrse 18.
    and god will destroy those ruining the earth ...
  • Options
    Well if you believe in survival of the fittest its just that happening.

Nature in the main isnt cute and cuddly, its harsh, mean and doesnt care.

It is going to reach a point where it is, us or them, we cant keep growing as a species and expect there to be always enough food, water and land.

So either we start trying to slow down growth of humans or we decide which species of animals we like now and set aside places for them to live.

Or we could actualy try and reduce the amount of waste and polution we churn out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Right then, when I have kids I'm going to emigrate to the US so they can become part of the most powerful nation with the biggest army in the world, and a huge arsnel of thermonuclear weapons! Also, they can be brought up in a society where gun ownership is easy, and they can join a gun club, and a survivalists club, and learn how to shoot and defend themselves.
    That will ensure their survival. :D

Mr_Wobble ;)

id like to see you get a green card

'so mr *whatever your real name is* what can you offer the united states'

'mmm id love to see your erect nipples in a wet t shirt, let me take you from behind baby'

:yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Sounds feasible. So too does eating chicken instead of fish to maybe save some of the sea life that is a balance too.
    Chickens and grain are both easy to support and they require no intricate systems of balance to keep.
    in the report, trees and grains are under serious threat becuse of climate change. chickens are indeed easy to keep and they adapt to all kinds of environments easily.
    survival of the fittest doesn't come in here or nature fighting back.
    what we refer to as nature is now so weakened it won't be able to fight back! we are not realy in a position to select which animals we want and don't want! cows would be pretty handy but there are going to be fewer and fewer places which will be able to sustain them.
    we can't control or reajust the temperature or humidity of the atmosphere in differing places to suit our needs. life as we know it realy is going to change fast and beyond and out of our control.
    our science now points to the fact that famine, flood, hurricane etc are going to be fiercer and more often ...massive areas are rapidly turning to desert.
    i'm sure man with all his ingenuity will indeed survive ...but not in the comfortable way we have learned to love so much.
    global warming and climate change ...along with oceans rapidly dying off are the biggest threat our modern societies face. terrorism is nothing compared with this threat!
  • Options
    ah well, I probs won't be around in 50 years! We probably could do something to make the situation not so serious but at the state of the world at the moment, I doubt preservation of humanity as we know it is top of George Bush's list of things-to-do. Well if we don't survive it will be the cockroaches, mutants and robots roaming the lovely desert lands :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    ah well, I probs won't be around in 50 years! We probably could do something to make the situation not so serious but at the state of the world at the moment, I doubt preservation of humanity as we know it is top of George Bush's list of things-to-do. Well if we don't survive it will be the cockroaches, mutants and robots roaming the lovely desert lands :p
    it's not going to happen in fifty years it's happening now and the road along the way is going to consist of some serious upheavels.
    there are things we can do about it to lessen the impact and reduce the problems but who's bothering?
    when i switch everything off in the lounge at night ...there are half a dozen little red standby lights glowing ...more in the kitchen. there are now billions of these things ...biliions and billions and they reckon if we ALL started switching them off at night we could make a huge difference to the ammount of harmful emmisions we are pumping into the atmosphere. but are YOU ...going to bother?
    most people won't and i blame the governments for not having campaigns actualy educating people to the seriousness of the situation we are finding ourselves in.
  • Options
    when i switch everything off in the lounge at night ...there are half a dozen little red standby lights glowing ...more in the kitchen. there are now billions of these things ...biliions and billions

that bit of your post makes you sound crazy :p no seriously, I understand where you're coming from and probably if the government was concerned about things like the planet then we could do something. But at the end of the day the majority of us won't be around/are too ignorant to care/don't think it will happen. I do my bit for the world, I recycle, never litter, buy some fair trade, give to charity and turn off the majority of electrical appliances my family uses at night. I'm just one person in 6 billion thought. So everyone has to do their bit before we see any big changes and that is where I think we will fail. At the end of the day, if there is no God we'll all die, if there is a God, the good ones will go to heaven :D

I'm kidding by the way :p
  • Options
    that bit of your post makes you sound crazy

thats ok i sound crazy on a regular basis! there has been a report about the ammount of increased emmisions regarding those little red lights i'll have you know ...
    and governments are notorious for only seeing short term.
    there SHOULD be public info ads on all channels to make people more aware.
  • Options
    and governments are notorious for only seeing short term.
    there SHOULD be public info ads on all channels to make people more aware.

do you think the adverts would change anything? You see all those anti-smoking adverts, drink-driving adverts etc and people carry on doing what they do. It would have to be one pretty cutting edge hard hitting advert to make a big enough impact. What kind of changes would you like to see?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    id like to see you get a green card

'so mr *whatever your real name is* what can you offer the united states'

'mmm id love to see your erect nipples in a wet t shirt, let me take you from behind baby'
    You've had to think about that reply, especially the last part. I see you've taken the erect nipples in a wet t-shirt from VinylVicky's thread where she posted a pic of a bloke with a big cock in wet shirt and pants, but you're the one who's thought up and added on the "take you from behind" part. :D And you have the gall to have a go at me after you've just projected your sexual thoughts on to my personality. Tut tut.

To get into the States, I'd probably have to either have a load of cash (ie have a fantastic well paid job - or win the lottery), or marry an American. my_name, marry me! It's for the sake of my future, yet to be, kids! :D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    do you think the adverts would change anything? You see all those anti-smoking adverts, drink-driving adverts etc and people carry on doing what they do. It would have to be one pretty cutting edge hard hitting advert to make a big enough impact. What kind of changes would you like to see?
    good point hyb! maybe us humans aren't as bright and clever as we like to think.
    yep ...i suppose it would have to be very hard hitting and then the friggin moaning complaining brigade would be up in arms.
  • Options

like some of them in America ? Ive heard about some of them being really bad to watch, they make them as real as possible and if that can help stop drink drivers, smokers etc then its a good thing.
    I think we need more adverts here that put the fear of god up you when you look at them, something that will prick the consience of drink drivers etc.
  • Options
    Some of those drink driving ads have made a difference. Drink driving offences have gone down. Not a lot, but they have gone down. But that's only after quite a few hard hitting adverts, posters, etc, over several years. It does take years to make even a small difference. You've just got to hope that people don't become complacent about the ads and don't bother looking at them, or thinking about them, anymore.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    agreed that some drink driving and smoking adverts do work (have you seen the latest smoking advert :eek2: disgusting!) but like Mr Wobble said, it only really affects a few people. If the world is doomed in 50 years or so then it may be too late. Or by the time the people who at the moment don't care, realise that there is a problem, it could be too late.
  • Options
    Nahh, I'll stick to Revelations to find out my preferred version of the end of the world :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Some of those drink driving ads have made a difference. Drink driving offences have gone down. Not a lot, but they have gone down. But that's only after quite a few hard hitting adverts, posters, etc, over several years. It does take years to make even a small difference. You've just got to hope that people don't become complacent about the ads and don't bother looking at them, or thinking about them, anymore.

Mr_Wobble ;)

The percentage of drink-drive incidents was up this year on last, but I think they did not show as many adverts this year.

They should show the sort of adverst that they show in Oz. Far more hard hitting. Ours are quite tame really.
  • Options
    i aint read the thread so it might ave been said already,

but according to good old mr bush. our favorate presisdent:rolleyes:

where all be living on the moon and mars soon so no need to worry about all of us dieing,

except all the inbreeds that aint allowed to go and have to die/fry on earth.