Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anyone NOT going to Uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in my final year of college, I turn 18 this year, and in October I WAS going to go to University, but now I have almost certainly changed my mind. I'm just not sure I could really commit myself to the course for 4 years. I also hate being away from my friends and family, and having to juggle a full-time education with a part-time job. Now I think I just want to have a good full-time job, train up, settle down with a flat and have a good steady income. I've spent nearly 14 years in full-time education and it's stressing me out.

Am I the only one here, or is anyone else my age and decided not to go to University?

I'm not looking to be persuaded to go to Uni, just want to hear from others going through the same thing.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yere i had to choose between work and uni. Never sure if i did make the right choice, it never is the same when you come home and wonder back into people lives and you want it all to be the same again. Also you actually have to get a job which can be quite hard, maybe you should look for jobs first. Maybe even take the job. If it all goes tits up just quit and go uni in September...........

Bopz
    I always felt the way you do now, i dont know what made me change my mind. A few of my friends have gone to uni and loved it...

University isnt for everyone, and you can get much further ahead more quickly if you work from the bottom than try and jump in with a degree in some lines of work. (For the line of work i want to go in, i want a degree to ensure that i get as high up as i can because due to sexism it may be a lot harder for me otherwise)

But as i said, a degree isnt always an advantage.

I have about 30 mates who arent going to uni, about 4 who have gone already so thats a lot of people not wanting to go to uni, so youre nto the only one out there :)

Not really answered your question, im sorry, just adding my views.
    I'm going to uni, yes. Only after doing a 3rd year at college. I had decided I wasn't going to go..then changed my mind and now I can't wait.

You can always defer for a year/take a year out and see then.

There's always open university things
    i was dead set on going to uni, but when i got my first full time job i was hooked on the money, im making good money for someone with only A levels (highers) i may go back and do an open university thing or go back to college part time later on, who knows. a lot of people myself included get made to feel in the wrong for not going to uni, but now EVERYONE has degrees in the simplist courses and not even specified, id rather learna trade than waste four years of my life on something that may not guarantee me a job
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i was dead set on going to uni, but when i got my first full time job i was hooked on the money, im making good money for someone with only A levels (highers) ..................id rather learna trade than waste four years of my life on something that may not guarantee me a job

The way I look at it though-I still have my A-levels when I finish uni. I just have a degree too.
    I could have gone to uni in Sept 2002 but decided I couldn't take another three or four years of committed studying. Another problem was that I couldn't find anything that really grabbed my attention and made me want to study it for all those years!

I ended up working as a waitress (was only helping my best mate's boss out of a pickle at the time) which was only meant to be a temporary thing just for the money, but I was still there 11 months later! In that time, I'd decided I wanted to be a PA but never found any suitable vacancies (and was getting rather confortable in my job anyway, so didn't put that much effort into looking!), then a job just fell into my lap and I've been there for the last five months and am loving it!

Don't regret not going to uni for a second! I don't need a degree to do what I'm doing or to climb higher, so I'm happy :)
    I'll admit, the uni life is what's made me want to go to uni. I know there's the debt and stuff, but I want to go to uni to experience it. But it's not just that, I'm thinking about joining the police and I want something to fall back on :)
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I'll admit, the uni life is what's made me want to go to uni. I know there's the debt and stuff, but I want to go to uni to experience it. But it's not just that, I'm thinking about joining the police and I want something to fall back on :)

thats so similar to my situation, only the police is my fall back if i fuck up uni!
    i'm in a similiar situation at the moment except im in yr 12. i dont think im gonna manage the rest of 6th form let alone uni.emotionally nad physically im falling apart at the seems and really don't think i have the temprement/attitude for anymore time in educaton. but my parents are FIXATED that i wont get a good job if i dont go to uni, how do u make them see sense?
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    thats so similar to my situation, only the police is my fall back if i fuck up uni!

well yeh, there's always that!

but...hopefully, I won't fuck up :yeees:
    my parents are FIXATED that i wont get a good job if i dont go to uni

It's not about what they want and if your at the age of going to uni you should be taing more control of your life. They want the best for you and that understandable but there is no point in doing something you dont want to do.
    You do have to ask yourself why you feel so bad, a job may not be better but think about your future and doing a degree is still only jusat worthwhile academically. The socail side is fun, but you can do that if you still have a job. A gap year working or something really may help ya

Bopz