Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Armed guards on planes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what a waste of time and money this will be, its almost impossible for anyone to bring a gun or lethal weapon onto the plane in the first place, and if they had got a small knife, surely a couple of the passangers would manage to take them down, and if there were armed guards on planes, we don't know who the guards are, for all we know there could be a terrorist who trained as a police officer on a plane with a gun "protecting" us. my solution is that there shuld be a protective bullet proof door into the cockpit that only the pilots knew and could only be opened from the inside the cockpit, therefore no1 could hijack it and crash it into more buildings.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, thanks for using the term 'armed guards'. This "sky marshals" bollocks is really getting on my nerves. You just want to go and shoot one, with such poncey name.

And yes, I think it is a waste of time, a knee-jerk reaction and that it will actually make aircraft less safe. All terrorists need to do is have a 'sleeper' on the aircraft, who can neutralise the guard and take him by surprise after he has to reveal himself to arrest the other terrorists.

Besides, terrorists are not going to be able to fly an airliner again. No pilot will open the cockpit door regardless of how many people the hijackers kill in the cabin. If intelligence reports are to be believed terrorists are now looking into flying a small private plane and crash it into an airliner, or take it down with a shoulder-launched rocket.

But then again, now thanks to armed guards terrorists have a chance to take the plane down from the inside, by smoking him out, retrieving the gun and shoot at the fuselage.

Like I said, knee-jerk reaction and scare tactics by our beloved governments.
  • Options
    armed guards= bad idea :no: I think Aladdin summed it all up :thumb:
  • Options
    Id take issue with the assertion that its "almost impossible" to get onto an aircraft armed, because most airport security guards have the intelligence of a mollusc.

But other than that youre right. What if this armed guard misses and, say, shoots through a window? Ooh, there goes 360 people out of the window. Way to save them :thumb:
  • Options
    I wonder what would happen if you were sitting next to someone who jumped up with a gun in their hands? Who are they? A terrorist or a policeman?

What if a terrorist stands up and shouts 'it's ok, I'm a sky marshall'

Ok, these are both silly suggestions and big 'ifs' but they are possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I wonder what would happen if you were sitting next to someone who jumped up with a gun in their hands? Who are they? A terrorist or a policeman?

good point. If the air marshall sat there in a nice big suit saying 'air marshall' then the terrorist or whoever would be able to easily identify them and take them out first. However, if their not identified who can the people on the plane trust?
  • Options
    I think it's a really bad idea and I hate the way the US are trying to force it on us by saying that if we don't do it we won't be allowed in their airspace!!

I won't fly on a plane with armed guards on it...no way Siree
  • Options
    Don't mind them. Not when knowing that the El-Al ones actually are useful, and have prevented catastrophes.
    That said, enforcing them could create leaks for terrorists. Also I assume that most air-craft staff are trained in how to handle certain situations.
  • Options
    A big waste.
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand the ammunition carried are of of a low calibre, enough to take out someone without putting a hole on the plane.

What I can't understand though is why airport security cannot be strengthened enough to ensure that no one can get on a plane with a weapon.
  • Options
    I certainly wouldn't want to risk the possibility of being 'an innocent bystander' when the shit hits the fan in a small enclosed space thousands of feet in the air, clever bullets or no clever bullets!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

What I can't understand though is why airport security cannot be strengthened enough to ensure that no one can get on a plane with a weapon.

Cause there are so many methods to smuggle stuff onto the planes which makes it impossible to check for all. By the security check you get asked a lot of general questions and if your answers are not to the well-liking of the staff, they'll take you to the side and make a bigger re-search and dig for the details, most probably open your suitcases and bags, and at the worst strip-search you. Not even that is a 100% guarantee.

Have mentioned this before, but as my mom says "I'd always prefer flying with El-Al (Israeli airline, who probably have the strictest security checks) well-knowing that it is a possible and wanted target".

So far El-Al guards have proved to be a life saving investment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Well hello there BumbleBee. How are you?

Nice to have you back :thumb:
  • Options
    But surely seeing as you can only take hand luggage and whats on your person a metal detector should be sufficient. I have had the pat down when it went off and the only metal item was my belt buckle.

BTW when are you coming over to London and how long for?
  • Options
    Who says they have to use metal? The potential shoebomber had explosives. And even after Sept 11th a man went up to the stewardess and handed a gun he had taken with him to the plane without him remembering it, and without the security check noticing.

Will be in London from the 6th to the 14th of February :D
    Only a month left! I can't wait.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Who says they have to use metal? The potential shoebomber had explosives. And even after Sept 11th a man went up to the stewardess and handed a gun he had taken with him to the plane without him remembering it, and without the security check noticing.

Will be in London from the 6th to the 14th of February :D
    Only a month left! I can't wait.

What're you in London for?

Oh... never go to Sega world, it sucks.
  • Options
    Couple of friends (+ sister of friend), buying another friend a plane ticket to England for her birthday so she could see her boyfriend. Of course the trip included that 3 of us would come along :D (and her mother would never let her go alone).

Basically we're gonna see a musical, visit Tate's gallery and the likes, usual sightseeing, drinking, clubbing (hope the bouncers aren't strict there) and go to a LostProphets concert :mad:, inbetween raiding the shops of London for clothes, shoes, music and candy :hyper:
  • Options
    I think the money could be better spent on tightening airport security. A quick pat down isn't good enough really. When I last flew only the male members of the party were patted down as there weren't any female members of staff around.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    The only security questions you get asked at check in are:

Has anyone asked you to carry anything on board?

and

Could anybody have interferred with your bags?

Depends on the airline and location you're travelling to/from.
  • Options
    not really.. those are the two security questions you MUST get asked in accordance to CAA

Did I deny that?
    Look at what you originally wrote.

You said the only questions were the ones you mentioned, while I said not necessarily, meaning that you could get additional questions depending on the airline and location.
  • Options
    *reads back*

sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough, you mis interpretted (sp?) what I meant...

what I meant was that they were the only two that they are legally obliged to ask.. I didn't mean that they were the ones that would get asked in any circimstances.. but those are the only two they are legally obliged to ask..

I know what I mean anyhoo

I know what you mean!! :)
  • Options
    If I had been there on one of those unlucky Boeings and if I had had…ehhh some small mechanical device like one that my dad taught me holding, maintaining and shooting.. ( Beretta or Makarov or Colt or (oh horror!) Kalashnikov are not bad names?) since my 11.…I think at least one of those ugly skyscrapers have would still stand- right, tall and proud.
    Be happy and be safe! Believe in Hammas and FBI, Italian ’carabinaria’ and French ‘Surte‘, Intelligence ( what a nice word!) Service and Scotland Yard, KGB and Mossad, Gestapo and Interpol, they are caring of you, they love you, they are always here to rescure you!!!!!!
    Trust them and never trust yourself!
    You have no right to defend yourself, you stupid kindergarten citizens, there are lots of politicians and gendarmes who are always ready to help you, really!!!!
    If- Your -Life -Doesn’t -Belong -To -Al-Quaeda -It -Belongs -To -CIA -and -Royal -Navy -And -There -Is -No -Any-Third -Way -For -Your -Silly -Sheep.
    Democracy Akhbar!
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    If I had been there on one of those unlucky Boeings and if I had had…ehhh some small mechanical device like one that my dad taught me holding, maintaining and shooting.. ( Beretta or Makarov or Colt or (oh horror!) Kalashnikov are not bad names?) since my 11.…I think at least one of those ugly skyscrapers have would still stand- right, tall and proud.
    Be happy and be safe! Believe in Hammas and FBI, Italian ’carabinaria’ and French ‘Surte‘, Intelligence ( what a nice word!) Service and Scotland Yard, KGB and Mossad, Gestapo and Interpol, they are caring of you, they love you, they are always here to rescure you!!!!!!
    Trust them and never trust yourself!
    You have no right to defend yourself, you stupid kindergarten citizens, there are lots of politicians and gendarmes who are always ready to help you, really!!!!
    If- Your -Life -Doesn’t -Belong -To -Al-Quaeda -It -Belongs -To -CIA -and -Royal -Navy -And -There -Is -No -Any-Third -Way -For -Your -Silly -Sheep.
    Democracy Akhbar!

I see what you are saying, but I don't want the governments of the world to make decisions about how I should be protected on an aeroplane. It is neither right for individual passengers to take guns on planes to protect themselves, nor governments to force 'Air martials' upon us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I see what you are saying, but I don't want the governments of the world to make decisions about how I should be protected on an aeroplane. It is neither right for individual passengers to take guns on planes to protect themselves, nor governments to force 'Air martials' upon us.

so what do you propose in terms of protecting yourself/others? maybe better security measures at the airport? i know, in the cockpit they should have a button which releases sleeping gas, so when the pilots find out the plane is being hijacked, they can press the button and hey-presto....the terrorist is asleep :)
  • Options
    thats actually a really good idea!

mind if I steal it?

i've already copyrighted the idea! :p sorry
  • Options
    I heard somewhere that El Al has had the sleeping gas system operational in its planes for some time now. It is certainly a very good idea.

Let's hope that they have calculated the amount of gas needed better than the Russians did a while ago during the siege of that Moscow theatre though...
  • Options
    Sky Marshals? Great idea, I for one would feel much safer if a pair of armed security guards were aboard the plane for my protection.

They work in pairs, so it is difficult to over power them.

It is not obvious who they are, most are not uniformed. Believe it or not but the Americans have actually thought this through before implementation.

Their weapons are of a kind which does not puncture the windows or fusilage.

Remember the flight which crashed into Pennsylvania on September 11? The terrorists only had knives then and they still took over the plane, imagine the difference a couple of trained professionals with guns would have made.
  • Options
    They are never uniformed.
    Though they're not that hard to guess ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Sky Marshals? Great idea, I for one would feel much safer if a pair of armed security guards were aboard the plane for my protection.

They work in pairs, so it is difficult to over power them.

It is not obvious who they are, most are not uniformed. Believe it or not but the Americans have actually thought this through before implementation.

Their weapons are of a kind which does not puncture the windows or fusilage.

Remember the flight which crashed into Pennsylvania on September 11? The terrorists only had knives then and they still took over the plane, imagine the difference a couple of trained professionals with guns would have made.

but what if they missed when shooting and shot a passenger? or even (if the terrorist was in the cock pit) they shot the pilot? Because they are not uniformed how would the majority of passengers know that they are real "sky marshalls"? they could just as easily be terrorists?

as for the sleeping gas idea, I think it would work if they used enough for 1 hour maybe? At least by then the pilots (or another official person) could get all the terrorists handcuffed into seats etc so that when they wake up it will be very hard for them to pose a threat to others.
  • Options
    imagine the difference a couple of trained professionals with guns would have made.

Until those guns were taken from them by sleepers who undoubtedly would be aware of just that sort of potential for plain clothed security agents on board.

All in all this is just another lame idea dreamed up by right wing authoritarians to keep the public unsettled and paranoid whilst they continue their perpetual wars of aggression and economic hegemonising which only increase the insecurity of the planet.

God forbid they themselves should be investigated for the illicit machinations they have cooked up to make themselves and their corporate cronies even richer at our expense. Start bringing these criminals to justice and perhaps we could rid ourselves of the elitest stranglehold on our political systems and restore necessary social justice to our policies both domestically and abroad and thereby begin to practice what our leaders have long used as an excuse to damn other nations and leaders (e.g. the "rule of law"). Then and only then might we reverse the global causal factors that inspire radical fundamentalism and terrorism.

But of course, that wouldn't be reactionary enough of a "solution" for those who think increasing our militant posture will somehow make us safer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    They are never uniformed.
    Though they're not that hard to guess ;)

not being cheeky, but how do you guess? because if they arent uniformed the only way you'll know is if they jump up if the plane is hijacked

but i think at the end of the day, its putting a gun on a plane when it shouldnt be there, also they could get too....disciplaniry, i mean if they found someone smoking in the toilet they could use the typical american philosophy of 'act now think later' and kill an innocent