Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The most painful medical problem you've ever been through.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what I might have to come and not to look forward too. If its too confidential, dont post ;p.

Comments

• Options
    I once broke my arm. :yes:

Or it would be the toothpain I had last week. :|
  • Options
    What i have right now, SPD (Symphysis pubis disfunction).
    Don't worry i think you only get it when preggie if you are really unlucky!
    Still off to see physio in a bit.

Although it appears to be a firmly fixed circle of bone, the pelvis is actually four separate bones jointed together - the sacrum and coccyx at the back and at the sides the two hip bones which curve around to meet at the front. These are joined at the front by the symphysis pubis.

"In pregnancy the hormone relaxin is released to soften the joints in preparation for the birth of your baby, but in around one in 35 women the hormone causes the ligaments to soften and stretch too much and become painful," says Ann Johnson, superintendent physiotherapist in women's health at Leeds General Infirmary.

It is normal for there to be a gap of 4-5mm between the two pubic points at the symphysis pubis joint and during any pregnancy this widens by another 2-3mm. If this gap widens more than this pain may occur and in some cases a severe form of the condition called diastasis symphysis pubis is diagnosed.

The job of the symphysis pubis joint is to hold the pelvis steady when we're using our legs, and if the ligaments have softened or stretched too much it won't work properly and strain is put on the other pelvic joints, causing pain
  • Options
    getting stiches in my head without any anesthetic (sp?) and that happened twice :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nothing but a wisdom tooth
  • Options
    wisdom teeth was pretty painful, as was having a cut in my head cleaned with a wire brush to get the gravel out after being hit by a car (they cant give you anaesthetic for head injurys until they can be sure there is no brain damage) I cant actually remember the pain of that but my mum assures me I screamed.
    Childbirth was pretty painful until the painkillers kicked in.
    My most excruciating pain ever was having an eye ulcer caused by sleeping in my contact lenses too often. that was pure agony, an othing could relieve it.
  • Options
    childbirth by far...was too far gone for the drugs :(
  • Options
    Cellulitus here, for me. Goddamn that was painful as shit. Hope that no one ever gets cellulitis. Spent 6 days, in a hospital, for it, and it was as painful as hell, for those 6 days and for about 2 weeks afterwards.

Could harldy walk through school, for about an extra 2 weeks, before being able to walk normally.
  • Options
    i broke my toe when i was about 13, and my mum thought i was making it up, so she refused to take me to the hospital. i couldn't walk for 2 weeks. i was crawling around on the sodding floor and she still thought i was making it up.

about a month later i went to the doctors about some ezcema on my foot, and asked him to have a look at my toe. and he said i must have broken it, cause it'd healed in a dead funny position.

so far i've escaped anything too painful *touches all the wood in the room*
  • Options
    having ingrowing toenails pulled out, they inject local anethetic into your bone, fucking horrible i cried for days (was only about 7 :( )
  • Options
    Broken arm when I was younger that the Doctor in casualty didn't x-ray and said it was sprained - later found out it wasn't sprained but was broken! Now frequently get pains in that wrist, meaning i can't write with it (thus explaining my speedy typing, and my ambidextrous-ness) oh and its prone to tenosynovitis due to it. Oi.

Then I have had hip trouble since I was about 8 - so 10 years - and they still have no idea what could be causing it. A cupboard falling off and hitting it can't have helped either. Can be very painful - especially after alot of exercise.

Shingles isn't a bundle of laughs either - painful and itchy!

Oh and dry eyes happen alot - which wouldn't be all that bad I dont suppose, if I could get the eye drops in without shutting my eyes permanently cause of the evilness of eyeballs!

Think thats about all.
  • Options
    everytime i get my brace tightened i spend a full week in sheer agony, no painkillers work and you cannot bite therefore cannot eat most things. it hurts and is plain fucking irritating
  • Options
    I pulled the muscle in the top back of my right leg when I was playing rugby in games at school by running at top speed (which is pretty quick for me i'm like a small rocket:D) & then coming to a complete stop & turning on the spot & by right leg ended up nearly doing the splits which my left leg just stayed straight.

It hurt just a bit & all the school nurse gave me was an ice pack:p Was a nightmare trying to get back out of my rugby kit & back into my school uniform. Stairs were a definite no no & I had to walk the 2 miles home aswell.

Is all fixed now but still get twinges if I walk, ride or drive too much.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    stress fracture, cuz I'm a wuss
  • Options
    i broke 3 toes whilst on holiday when i was 14. very painful!
    also had a infection in my heel, soooooo painful i was convinced ide need the fecking thing amputated!
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    getting stiches in my head without any anesthetic (sp?) and that happened twice :rolleyes:

I had my head stapled this summer and that fucking killed! But only the once. That's basically the worst thing to happen to me luckily!
  • Options
    I think I have some kind of a cyst in my left wrist (I am not sure what it's called in English/Doctorish) but some joint fluid leaks out of well.. the joints.
    It took me two years to find a doctor that knew what it was, by then, when it got bad there was a lump on the top of my wrist and flexing my wrist was pure agony. There is a small "hole" there as it pushed the bones to the sides.

I got an injection two years ago, and now it's resurfacing. :o
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    I think I have some kind of a cyst in my left wrist (I am not sure what it's called in English/Doctorish)

it's called a ganglion (sp?)
  • Options
    I twisted my ankle at the tender age of 5, that hurt. Either that or two weeks ago I dropped a hot lamp onto my side and it burnt off loads of skin. That killed for days and is only just healing now
  • Options
    Just remembered more things...

When I was 14 I set a frying pan on fire when I was making hamburgers and foolishly threw water on it! :o :rolleyes: That burnt my hand pretty bad especially between my fingers!

Another time when I was 14 I was sitting near a fire that me and my friends had made but one genius had put a sealed glass jar in it and it exploded and covered my right arm in ash and melted plastic and shit! That fucking wrecked when the nurse had to scrub it off!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Just remembered more things...

When I was 14 I set a frying pan on fire when I was making hamburgers and foolishly threw water on it! :o :rolleyes: That burnt my hand pretty bad especially between my fingers!

Another time when I was 14 I was sitting near a fire that me and my friends had made but one genius had put a sealed glass jar in it and it exploded and covered my right arm in ash and melted plastic and shit! That fucking wrecked when the nurse had to scrub it off!

jesus :crazyeyes must have hurt!
  • Options
    i had helicobacter pylori which is like an acid imbalance in your belly which aparently rots the layers of your stomach away.

ladies, think of period pains, triple it, then make it constant for 4 months and you have my pain
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess

ladies, think of period pains, triple it, then make it constant for 4 months and you have my pain
    Meanwhile, Guys... Think of going shopping with a women and half that pain. Jkz ;p
  • Options
    Depression.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Meanwhile, Guys... Think of going shopping with a women and half that pain. Jkz ;p

oh shut up, do u know how annoying it is when you walk into a shop and hear someone constantly say 'buy it if you like it, jesus' or sit sulking outside changing rooms :p
  • Options
  • Options
    not sure, hard to pick, but the top two would be..

The time when i spilled a freshly boiled pot noodle over my penis (it blisterd...bad)

OR

the time i refused to be put to sleep for them to rebuild my nose, they stuck a needle down between my eyes, at the top of my nose, down the side of one eye into the top of one sinus, back up, scraped a chunk out of the bone when moving the needle accross to the other eye, then proceeded to inject the top of another sinus with some sort of fluid....which by the time the dr started to rebuild my nose had not kicked in yet...so i had my nose rebuild with no (working) anasthetic.

the pot noodle was just as bad as the nose one, i just didnt think you would like the gory details of that :rolleyes: (ah the joys of running to the ambulance with a bag of frozen chips down your pants)
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess

i had a friend with that...he said it was bad, but you really did just prove period pains aint as bad as you women make them out to be :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    it's called a ganglion (sp?)

Thanks! :) I was looking for the word some time ago but wasn't sure if it was the same thing.
  • Options
    Luckily I've escaped really painful stuff so far (touch wood)

Probably getting my teeth kicked out when i was 7... not good...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bennie
    i had a friend with that...he said it was bad, but you really did just prove period pains aint as bad as you women make them out to be :rolleyes:
    mine went undiagnosed for two years in which time they put me on loads of different drugs none of which did anything, the worst of it was those 4 months though