Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

stopped eating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been having some really bad problems and complications with my boyfriend and whole lifestyle situation really that have seriously been getting me down.

I've never felt so upset at any time in my life and for the past couple of weeks I've eaten barely anything. I really have tried but I just have that nervous sick feeling all the time. My family are worried about me because I've always been really slim as it is, but I've lost almost half a stone in the last week. I'm a size 6-8 but quite tall, about 5'7" so I hate looking too skinny, which I am beginning to look.

I'd be happy to drink that build-up shake or something but my mums really against this manufactured protein stuff. I'm vegetarian too which I guess makes the whole eating problem worse. I've always eaten loads and loads and snacked throughout the day on chocolate, cake, whatever, just been thankful for a fast metabolism, and now I'm eating barely anything I'm beginning to look ill.

Anyone got any ideas of how I can sort myself out and put on a bit of weight?
Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The nervousness is probobly due to shock or anxiety. You need to start getting back to a regular eating pattern which may seem harder than it sounds, taking vitimin capsules will help reduce the amount of vitimins you are losing through not eating, but chances are even though you feel like it you wont be sick from eating. (I always feel sick when Im hungry :cool: ). Its worth mentioning too that the longer you go without some brunchin the harder it will get regarding the sickness feeling, so start eating some good shit now. Hope that helps.

Tom.
    gawd, i know that 'sick nervous feeling' well.

basically you're aware that the reason you're not eating is cause you're not feeling great at the moment, so the thing to do is to try and lift your mood, and then, in theory, your eating will return to normal. unfortuately this isn't as easy as it sounds.

in the meantime, try to snack as much as you can. i know the feeling when you have a whole meal in front of you and you just know you'll barely make a dent in it, let alone finish it. but try a few bits here, a few bits there. when i'm in that kind of mood, i find i can eat more if i'm distracted at the time - watching tv or reading. those protein shakes are a good idea. tell your mum that if it's going to make you feel/look better, she should put her objections aside. also try to eat protein rich or fatty things, cheese, eggs, to build you up, as well as carbs, like bread and pasta, to keep you going. the most important thing is to just keep trying. the longer you go without eating you'll find the harder it is to start again. and malnutrition can make depression far, far worse.

don't be embarrassed about going to see a doctor about this. at the very least they can advise you about your diet. if you wanted to, they could refer you for some counselling, or something to help you work through this.
    i too have had that sick nervous feeling lately as ive been having problems, its been about two weeks now. ive lsot my appetite and have losta couple of pounds but i could do with that any way so its not too bad. thing is im diabetic and i need to eat regularly and take my insulin so i have been having to kinda force things down or drink orange juice or milk to get some carbohydrate. its horrible, mind you i managed a booked breakfast on xmas morning and thought that would maybe give my appetite a kick start but it didnt.
    i keep getting notions for things maybe im pregnant, nah, KIDDING!
    anyway i know its hard but you got to do your best to eat. nobody can do wihout food diabetic or not! x
    I had this for a while, can't remember what I was nervous about but I remember just feeling constantly sick and trying to eat but just having no appetite and not being able to keep anything down. For me, the best thing was to eat little savoury things and lots of liquid foods like clear soup which you can just sip. I think salty, savoury food is easier to eat when you feel like this, rather than sweet or starchy stuff, but that might just be me.
    Thanks alot guys :)

I've got better over the last week, have managed to eat some proper meals and just been trying to snack on loads of puddings!

Haven't managed to sort out any of the problems that have caused me to feel like this but I guess that might take some time.

kaffrin - thanks for the advice about the doctor. I need to go soon anyway about some other stuff so think i'll mention it then, they might be able to help.