Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

girls asking guys.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was having a conversation with someone a while ago, and we were discussing the art of proposing.

we got onto the subject of girls proposing to the guys, instead of the other way round...

we had very differing opinions on this, and i was just wondering what other people thought...

Comments

• Options
    I asked mine :yes:
  • Options
    i think maybe i'm being horribly old fashioned.

oddly as this seems, to anyone who knows me, or has even met me, when the subject of marriage comes up, i turn from sulky tomboy into giggly girlie.

and i always thought if someone wanted to propose to me they would have to do it properly. asking my dad, getting down on one knee, all that jazz.

but then mr. kaff said if i was waiting for him to do that i might be waiting a very long time (which is probably true, when we were first together i had to demand that he kissed me. if there's a bush anywhere, he'll be the one beating around it) and if i wanted anything done before we turned 70, i'd have to ask him.

and i was OUTRAGED. in my own, quiet, not really that outraged kind of way.

but the more i think about it, the more i think, why the hell not?

but then, i also think if he loves me enough to stay with me forever, then surely he loves me enough to do this one (or two) little (or really quite big) thing for me?
  • Options
    I see what you mean. We had talked about it and I was sat on his knee in the pub and drunk and just said it, not all romantic and stuff and we had been talking about it (so it wasnt out of the blue and we had already said we would really).
    If I think about it, it would be nice to have it done 'properly' but since I dont have a dad and a 'traditional' family with any traditional type values, it's not really me.
  • Options
    I asked, but unless I do it it never gets done:p

I think it depends on the couple, to be honest- tradition is good in its own way, but if a girl is desperate to marry her bf then she should ask, because it saves hassle:)
  • Options
    Oh to answer your question, did you hint or tell him how you wanted it or keep quiet wondering? i suppose it'snot the same telling him how you want it but it could still come out of the blue and be just as special.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I asked, but unless I do it it never gets done

same. i asked him out, i asked him to kiss me, i asked him to move in with me.

i'd just like to be the one who's asked for a change.
    Oh to answer your question, did you hint or tell him how you wanted it or keep quiet wondering?

we've kind of been discussing it for ages, and i kind of subtly suggested that that's what some girls might want....
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

we've kind of been discussing it for ages, and i kind of subtly suggested that that's what some girls might want....
    Well, with all the festivities upon us you never know........people become bolder and more elaborate this time of year.
  • Options
    My blokey asked my Dad if he could propose to me and showed my ring to him and my Mum.

So that night when he did propose and I was all excited and phoned my Mum & Dad to tell them, they already knew :yeees:
  • Options
    i would want to be asked.
    just because then i can be sure that this is what he wants and that he doesn't feel pressured because i asked him.

anyway what am i talking about marriage for.. :nervous:
  • Options
    i would hate to be asked, being a man (sorta?)

no offence to you vicky but i think itsa big thing, and it should be perfect... and thats the way its always bin, man ask woman, the getting down on one knee lark id love to do, but only for the comedy/romance value hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

just because then i can be sure that this is what he wants and that he doesn't feel pressured because i asked him.

that also comes into it. because of the kind of person he is, i won't know unless he initiates it that this is what he really wants.

Well, with all the festivities upon us you never know........people become bolder and more elaborate this time of year.

i doubt it'll happen this year. i think he thinks he's too young.
  • Options
    I'm very traditional when it comes to marriage proposals, I think guys should be the ones proposing, and when/if my boyfriend proposes, he has to do it properly, on one knee with a ring, my favourite song playing in the background, the works.

I think if I asked him, knowing me I'd probably spend my whole life wondering if he really wanted to marry me or if he was just being polite by saying yes!
  • Options

Thats a crap reason:p

But at least you know how we feel when we ask:)
  • Options
    Thats a crap reason:p

But at least you know how we feel when we ask:)

hmm not really since some of the other girls said similar things.

by a man asking me to marry him then i would know for sure that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. that's why i need him to ask me.
  • Options
    I have a nice new shiney ring on my finger since yesterday!!!!!!
  • Options
    by a man asking me to marry him then i would know for sure that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. that's why i need him to ask me.

Yeah, its also why we could do with the girls asking us every now and again:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I have a nice new shiney ring on my finger since yesterday!!!!!!

*bouncebounce*

Congrats hon, piccies?:)
  • Options
    I personally think that girls should ask someone out if they like them. I've really liked a couple of girls, but have always been to shy to ask anyone out, and certainly haven't been asked out by anyone, and so I'm permanently single. And a tad bitter :(
  • Options
    *bouncebounce*

Congrats hon, piccies?:)
    Thank you :D ha ha! im still buzzing! and walking like im in the clouds!! I'll sort some pics out soon enough :D

*boingboingboing* :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    *boingboingboing*

Congratulations :D

I hope you will be very happy :)
  • Options
    My ex once told me that when he proposes to whoever he ends up proposing to, he wants to do it in the wackiest, craziest way possible eg while skydiving or something. I wouldn't like that. I'm the same as HunnyPot, I'm completely traditional about it. I'd like the man to propose, down on one knee, asking my dad first, the whole lot. I wouldn't want to do it myself. But then if I'd been with a guy for ages and ages and he still hadn't popped the question I'd probably get impatient and ask him.