Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's your sporting claim to fame?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Have you ever met any of your sport hero's, or just sport stars who you think are a bit of a nob? Has your impression of them changed after meeting them, and for the better or worse?

I suppose my greatest claim to fame would be sitting on the table next to a couple of NTFC players, at the stadium bar. So you can imagine how hot and flustered I got. And if it counts, Robbie Fowler's cousin proposed to my sister. She said no. I don't think that really counts though.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    em i met sir bobby charlton about a motnh ago he came into the restuarant where i work which was quite strange coz i live in the midle of nowhere
  • Options
    Miss Bri-namite's uncle plays for Inverness Caley Thistle.

I once knocked on Jocky Scott's (ex Aberdeen manager :thumb: ) door when I did door to door sales. And almost had a heart attack in the process.

Met Charlue Miller and Billy Dodds on the piss one night.

Randomness.
  • Options
    David Humpreys currently lives 3 doors down from me but he's moving pretty soon. Used to come into the shop I work in with his little kids. Nice bloke.

Manager of Glentoran (local football team) lives down the road from me aswell. He's a sour faced wanker! The only time I've seen him smile is when he won the league a few years ago!
  • Options
    met a few at a dinner my dad was involved in.
    paul ince, andy gray, alan lamb (bit of a twa*), Geoff Hurst. But the best bloke who i spoke to was definately Peter Shilton, he was such a nice bloke.
  • Options
    I've sold antiques to two Chelsea players.
  • Options
    my brother knew ryan giggs really well as a teenager coz he lived down the roasd to us. then when united played in new york recently my brother (who lives there) was stood on these steps as the players walked up. my bro shouted 'giggsy' and he turned around and said 'Paul! how are you'. was quite surprised he still remembered him.

also my mums cousin is good friends with the united players and sees them all the time.

hardly a claim to fame though!
  • Options
    F1:
    - Met Jim Rosental and Tony Jardine in the Nurburgring car park, lol!
    - Shook Jackie Stewart's hand over the pitwall, before he sprayed champagne everywhere ('99 European GP)
    - Ross Brawn got me Michael Schumacher's and Johnny Herbert's visors personally signed. They're also from winning races, too. My most prized possessions!

FOOTIE:
    - I think I've met all the current Rangers players and many of the old ones at some point. Been to countless dinners and awards things so met them at those, as well as matches too. Personally know Ally McCoist, Alex McLeish, Craig Moore, Barry Ferguson, Jorg Albertz, John Greig, Michael Ball, Mo Ross, Sandy Jardine, Willie Henderson, Davie Wilson, John McLelland, to name but a few. Also knew Jim Baxter well before he died :( (Though obvioulsy i only see these people through my parents)
    - Got chatted up by a drunk Jim White (as in Sky footie presenter) a couple of years ago. Scary.
    - Met Steven Hendry (snooker guy) at a Rangers match as well. (and non-sporting people like Sean Connery and David Sneddon... its amazing who ends up there!)
  • Options
    Served Tore Andre Flo pasta and sauce at the food court in the Bentall Centre in Kingston upon Thames- (during the height of his Chelsea career, also got his autograph).

Saw Robert Fleck (Chelsea's flop record signing striker) at Putney fair in the early 90's, got his autograph.

Blackburn & Ireland's Steven Reid went to my school (was 2 years above me)
  • Options
    my great uncle used to play for millwall and ive met chris eubank
  • Options
    I Played for Leicester City reserves in 2001 against Wimbledon Reserves and we won 2-0. I played alongside Tim Flowers, Steve Guppy, Matt Jones, Trevor Benjamin and Frank Sinclair. A week later i was forced out of my trials for the club with torn knee ligaments. Hey thats life i guess!

Oh and i also recently met Geordan Murphy, Neil Back, Lewis Moody and Martin Johnson from the Leicester Tigers and i got to touch THE Rugby World Cup trophy (Webb Ellis trophy) in a picture with them!

Thats about it though!
  • Options
    Been trained by Victorian cricketing luminaries such as Dean Jones, Paul Reiffel, Darren Berry, and Matthew Elliot.

:D
  • Options
    I successfully drove out an ineffective player from my club with a vicious campaign of touchline sarcasm and cat-calling. He now plays non-league :cool:

also met most of the West Indian cricket team on the 1980 tour.
  • Options
    That's very naughty...

• Options
    When my brother was a steward at Man Utd he met....wait for it....the man.....NICKY BUTT! :yeees:

I have met Chris Aca...Aci...Acabusi (sp) and that famous blonde British hurdler. Her name escapes me. She was really big in the 80s/90s.
  • Options
    Oh forgot to mention i used to go out for drinks with Matt Dawson until i moved away from london (i.e. just before the world cup... damn!)
  • Options
    When Mika Hakkinen (F1 Driver) was banned many years ago. I was at silverston and his car was in the garage. The mechanics and stuff let me sit in it.:) I sat in the future world champions car. Shame i didnt have a camera.:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Her name escapes me. She was really big in the 80s/90s.
    Sally Gunnell!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    When Mika Hakkinen (F1 Driver) was banned many years ago. I was at silverston and his car was in the garage. The mechanics and stuff let me sit in it.:) I sat in the future world champions car. Shame i didnt have a camera.:(

*very jealous*

I'd give my right arm to sit in an F1 car...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    *very jealous*

I'd give my right arm to sit in an F1 car...

They are much bigger than you would expect. then again i was about 10 or something like that and very small.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    That's very naughty...

Probably be banned for life in the Prem but hey its the 3rd division and we still have terraces and terrace culture :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Sally Gunnell!

:yes: I was sat here saying the name Sally over and over. Only person I could think of was Sally Field.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    They are much bigger than you would expect. then again i was about 10 or something like that and very small.

I think its probably cos you were 10 it seemed quite big... even now the McLaren drivers are having trouble fitting into the cockpit of the MP4-19. And remember back in 1995 when Nigel Mansell signed for the team but couldn't drive for them cos he was too fat for the car?!
  • Options
    i met jake the snake roberts tonight !!

yes childhood legend yes !!
  • Options
    I chatted to Howard Wilkinson while his pouring coffee, when i worked in a hotel a few years back. Sometimes i wish i had split some ;)
  • Options
    most of the leeds united squad hang out at the restaurant at the top of my parents' road.

i served harry kewell (who was a bit of a dick) and his wife (who was lovely - the emmerdale woman) when i worked in habitat in leeds, and again when i worked in gap.

paul hunter (the snooker player) went to my schools, and was in my brother's class.

and when i worked in a bank call centre, i personally increased ally mccoist's credit limit. can't tell you what to, but it'd make your eyes water.
  • Options
    Greame Souness punched my dad when they were wee :yes:
  • Options
    well ive met all the leeds players alan smith 4 times (sexy babe) and then 8th of november last year i had to run on a footie pitch at portsmouth to take penalties and it was so fun
    vickey
    smithy 4 england