Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Exam pressure, retakes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im feeling very under pressure about these. My AS retakes in 1 politics module, 1 history module and 2 geography modules are on the 9th the 12th and 13th of next month and well i havnt even started to revise yet. This is mainly because of my school, they tell her to revise for these in december but i have been under so much pressure from work that they keep putting on i havnt able too. The biggest one of these being coursework essays in History because as our teacher keeps saying "you mucked up your exams"
Ive done a revision time table until term begins again, doing an hour of each of the 3 subjects monday - saturday (excluding christmas day) and 2 sessions on sundays when i have my job and on new years day, but i feel it isnt going to be enough but yet i feel i cant do anymore. I have to juggle a part time job on top of it too on Sundays. I feel like im going to have no social life too. Im stressing out already and i havnt even begun yet. Can anyone help me please with tips too keep cool, make sure i do it and advice on my time table? Please?:(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey mate trust me stressing out will just make it harder and i know jsut where your coming from because I have my resits on the 9th, 12th and 15th and i need to pull my grades up badly :/

I used to get really wound up but I found it made it much harder for me to learn now i just stick to my timetable as best I can and if all else fails I just Cram the night before :p
    I know the feeling mate, I've got a Business Studies exam on the 12th, and an Economics on the 16th, and I haven't even started revising. I said to myself I would do a bit, every day, and make post-it notes and put them all over the place, but I just so know it's going to get put off and it'll never happen. And I'll regret it.

Just motivate yourself to do the revision (a hell of a lot easier to do than it sounds, evidently!) and you should be fine.

Really not looking forward to nasty 3 hour exams in May or whenever it is. I get really stressed in exam conditions, especially for prolonged periods.
    revision basics

As hard as it is these will be over in a couple of weeks so put the work in now and treat yourself to a big night out after them, if you're bothering to do the retakes you may as well give them your best shot eh?

Good luck all of you

Merry xmas

Susie :)
    Surly at this point you must bite the bullet and ask is it all really worth it? I'm not saying drop out but all that stress for what? A piece of paper?
    Ive dont the panic thing we all have, but there has to be a limit.

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Surly at this point you must bite the bullet and ask is it all really worth it? I'm not saying drop out but all that stress for what? A piece of paper?
    Ive dont the panic thing we all have, but there has to be a limit.

Bopz

I need the grades too go to uni. I havnt had any offers yet but i need BBB-BCC or something.

I may edit my timetable, do 4 45 minute sessions a day instead of 3 1 hour ones.
    I'm glad youve got hopes kid, but i'm not really a big fan of planning ahead, but let me just check i got all this right. At no time think i am taking the piss Because sometimes I have got myself in some deep shit for not thinking ahead!

Your in your 2nd year of 6th form/collage
    You retaking HOW MANY exams??? FOUR
    Assuming you did exams last jan that would mean you are retaking 4 out of the 6 exams you did for A-level in June.
    Plus exams this year lets say three? Makes a nice little mess. (7)

But, it will be ok really, you can cram so much if you have to. not recomended though.

Well i feel like a tit as i mis read you post and thought you were 1st year collage and worrying that your grades were going to be already.

OK ill start over, first off you messed up those four exams and you got to ask yaself if you can actually do better, messing up four exams is a hell of a lot. But try again anyway nothing to lose...... God bless the system for that one! :)
    But panic is your worst enemy, remember it is just an exam, fail try again. If your unlucky and dont get the grades you may have to re-think your life long ambition to be a *insert ambition here*.
    But if you want to do it THAT much you'll pull through, or youll keep going till you get there. Remeber it will be fine.

I wasn't doing marathon sessions of revision and i got myself CCC and also the AS exams are so much easier than the A-level ones, so it will be a breeze.

Bopz

P.S. Sorry about the post really, if you got this far through my ramblings then i am urrr sorry.
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I'm glad youve got hopes kid, but i'm not really a big fan of planning ahead, but let me just check i got all this right. At no time think i am taking the piss Because sometimes I have got myself in some deep shit for not thinking ahead!

Your in your 2nd year of 6th form/collage
    You retaking HOW MANY exams??? FOUR
    Assuming you did exams last jan that would mean you are retaking 4 out of the 6 exams you did for A-level in June.
    Plus exams this year lets say three? Makes a nice little mess. (7)

But, it will be ok really, you can cram so much if you have to. not recomended though.

Well i feel like a tit as i mis read you post and thought you were 1st year collage and worrying that your grades were going to be already.

OK ill start over, first off you messed up those four exams and you got to ask yaself if you can actually do better, messing up four exams is a hell of a lot. But try again anyway nothing to lose...... God bless the system for that one! :)
    But panic is your worst enemy, remember it is just an exam, fail try again. If your unlucky and dont get the grades you may have to re-think your life long ambition to be a *insert ambition here*.
    But if you want to do it THAT much you'll pull through, or youll keep going till you get there. Remeber it will be fine.

I wasn't doing marathon sessions of revision and i got myself CCC and also the AS exams are so much easier than the A-level ones, so it will be a breeze.

Bopz

P.S. Sorry about the post really, if you got this far through my ramblings then i am urrr sorry.

I did 12 modules last year. 4 AS Levels. (Failed Biology but sshhh)
    So out of 9 im retaking 4 modules:
    Politics- Government of the UK, i got a low B in that module - B overall, i want to push it up as im going to study it at uni

Geography - Physical - Low D - I just fucked that up. Skills - low B retaking that also. I got a B overall

History - Retaking Russia in Revolution - got a D in that. Whole year of the grammar school did badly in the Germany exam so ive done coursework instead of a retake. D overall, can hopefully push up too atleast a C.

I know im in a better positon than most with at the moment BBD i just want to push those grades up. Im at a grammar school ffs! i should be able to do it. Im just slightly worried/annoyed that i havnt had an opportunity to revise yet, though im starting revision today. Hurrah
    :rolleyes:
    MMM geography, the best subject ever lol.

My grades out of the six modules were:

A, A , E, E, A ,E

even out to a nice C grade, all the E grades I got were 40% the min you need to pass!

Good luck sonny it will be fine! I have a headache and its Christmas eve so im off to the pub. I will right more wen I'm next sober so expect a post on Sunday some time.

Bopz

All alone in Space and time, there's nothing here, but what's here's mine.
    Re: Exam pressure, retakes
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    The biggest one of these being coursework essays in History because as our teacher keeps saying "you mucked up your exams"
    Your teacher has no idea what he/she is talking about. So many people do "badly" under the AS Level system because it's shit (I'm at a grammar school, as I suspect you are being in Bucks, but even so 90% of our girls are resitting at least 1 module). I achieved 2As and 2Cs when I was predicted 4As, and yet I did do the work. Some people are just ignorant of the pressure this system puts us under and the consequences of that pressure are that people underachieve or fail.
    Re: Re: Exam pressure, retakes
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Your teacher has no idea what he/she is talking about. So many people do "badly" under the AS Level system because it's shit (I'm at a grammar school, as I suspect you are being in Bucks, but even so 90% of our girls are resitting at least 1 module). I achieved 2As and 2Cs when I was predicted 4As, and yet I did do the work. Some people are just ignorant of the pressure this system puts us under and the consequences of that pressure are that people underachieve or fail.

mm yeah, i think this teacher is an examiner even though:rolleyes:

Oh well only 5 days, 7 days and 8 days left too my exams:nervous: Back at school tomorrow so will have schoolwork too eek.
    They shudnt be giving you work to do a few days before an exam, if they do maybe its time to check your prorities.......

Bopz
    I know how you feel. I have 6 AS retakes and 5 A-level modules coming up this january. I have revision coming out of my ears, and my Dad had been hassling me a lot to do it. The one thing I've done to try and cope with the stress is set a time of each day which is "Maria's Time" where I do what I want to do, not revision or work. And lucky for me, I get study leave for my exams, so I don't have to worry about regular classwork as well.
    Yes retakes suck! I'm redoing Biology as I got a C and wanted a B. It's totally my own fault for not revising enough last time - I went away for the week and feel like I short-sold myself. Now the time has come to re-do them though, i'm thinking what's the point, since I haven't continued with Bio to A level. It's difficult to revise for retakes, as well as keep up with the current homework for A level, and do coursework too. I think the AS/A level system was a change for the worse. You don't get more breadth in subjects which is what they hoped to achieve by introducing the system, as you drop a subject at the end of the first year. I liked the old A level system with 3 subjects and that's it. Good luck to everyone.
    re-sits worked out well from me.

in a module of AS sociology, i got 27/105 in the june...I re-sat in january and got 103/105 :D

this helped bring my AS grade of an E to an A-level grade of B :D

i've got exams next week, just thinking oh well, there's always re-sits. Perhaps not the right thinking to have...:chin:
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    re-sits worked out well from me.

in a module of AS sociology, i got 27/105 in the june...I re-sat in january and got 103/105 :D

this helped bring my AS grade of an E to an A-level grade of B :D

i've got exams next week, just thinking oh well, there's always re-sits. Perhaps not the right thinking to have...:chin:

I hope it works that well for me too! I got 25/105 in one of mine, and my resit is tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to push my grade up from an E to at least a D, if not a C for personal satisfaction, I'm not even studying sociology at A-level.
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    I hope it works that well for me too! I got 25/105 in one of mine, and my resit is tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to push my grade up from an E to at least a D, if not a C for personal satisfaction, I'm not even studying sociology at A-level.

good luck :D

i wasn't lucky...it's pure intelligience really...:p
    Holy Crap!

Government of the UK retake tomorrow eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek