Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drinking & smoking all your life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dad has been drinking & smoking for 49 years now(started when he was 14).

How much can 1 human body take with this amount of punishment over the years?

Or what is he headed for in the near future?

.:Crispy:.

Comments

• Options
    depends on the person obviously. It aint good for you, but some people do smoke and still live for years. My nana smoked all her life (although she did die of lung cancer painfully earlier this year) She was 85 though so she did have a good run for her money.
    It depends on many factors, not just the drinking or smoking, but they just dramatically increase your risk of certain cancers and diseases.
  • Options
    Bet your dad wakes up and wishes he didn't smoke!! Frommy own experience its possible that he faces a sudden and unexpected lethal heart attack like the one my dad had in 2000 aged just 56! He never managed to give up either.

Smoking is a coice, but its the wrong one...Unfortunately loads of kids start every year and by the time they want to give up they find it so hard to do.

its not impossible though! and the health benefits are great...never too late to give up either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Bet your dad wakes up and wishes he didn't smoke!!

I'm sure he does. Well judging by the really awful cough he's got :yuck:

• Options
    It obviously varies from person to person, he could still be in really good shape and his immune system working relatively efficiently. Saying that, drinking and smoking are no doubt going to increase his chances of contracting a few nasty diseases - such as cancer, etc. And like said likelihood of heart attack will no doubt increase.

But he could be lucky and live for many years and die of seemingly old age, it's all down to the individual.

Does he seem like he wants to quit smoking or drinking? I guess after that time period he's developed quite a habit in the sense of addiction (to an extent, especially with the smoking) and killing time. Have you tried sitting him down and seeing if he wants to quit?

Good luck with it. :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Does he seem like he wants to quit smoking or drinking?

Have you tried sitting him down and seeing if he wants to quit?

No & no to these questions.

This post was posted in spite really when my dad came home very drunk as usual & had the trivial argument with my mum. So I was just wonder how long he's got till he chokes it.

But of-course the next day he doesn't remember the argument so no sense of an apology to my mum in anyway cause in his mind it didn't happen.

I've never talked to my dad at all in my life really & we don't really have more than he is my dad & vice versa. So we have little or no relationship between dad & son. When I was little he used to take me & my bro's & sis places but that was just to get brownie points on his behalf. When he truly wasn't doing us any favours.

But now we are all adults me being the youngest @ 18. It has hit home what non existence of a dad i've actually got & when we were all young we didn't have a voice & it was "you're coming out with me tonight". In other words we were told what to do but no we are all grown up we have our own opinions & I just tell him to f off most of the time cause I don't want to pretend we have a normal dad son relationship.