Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Soham trial veredict

Huntley has been found guilty of the murder of both girls.

Carr is not guilty of 2 charges of assisting an offender but guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Well? Do we feel it's the right veredict? Judging by the information we had, I think it's about right...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I think so, his story was very far fetched.
  • Options
    just been watching the news. i think they got it about right.

for maxine carr, she obviously lied to the police, but i was quite glad she got off the assisting an offender charges, cause i always got the feeling she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong person.
  • Options
    Only verdicts that could be delievered.

Look at Huntleys list of previous allegations and charges. How he hasnt been put away before is beyond me, he is a menace to society and I hope for every woman and child he kept there forever.

Even greater menace are the perverts and campagners who were calling for a manslaughter verdict and 2 years inside for him. Just sickening :(
  • Options
    Judging by the information we had, I think it's about right...

Agreed.
  • Options
    Yep - the right verdict from the case presented ...although thee are other allegations now coming out they were not allowed to be brought up as evidence in this case.

I think they have it about right and I also think Maxine Carr has had a just sentence..She shouldn't have lied. If my boyfriend asked me to lie I certainly wouldn't have.
  • Options
    im so glad about maxine carrs verdict, she didnt deserve her time in prison or to be put through the hell of being dragged through the courts, a lot of women are frightened of loosing the person they love and will do anything to stop them leaving/turning agaisnt her

to be honest i dont know what to say about ian huntley, he obviously was guilty, he should now tell the parents exactly what happened to there girls, he'll be taken to court again for perjury, but i guess his sentace is so long it wont make a difference
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    im so glad about maxine carrs verdict, she didnt deserve her time in prison or to be put through the hell of being dragged through the courts

i think i'm right in saying that perverting the course of justice is still a pretty serious offence...
  • Options
    yeah - i am sympathetic toward maxine carr but...think about it...if you were in london when your boyfriend was in Reading and he asked you to lie and tell the police you were actually in Reading surely you would refuse to lie!! ?

If it had been me I would have refused to lie, but then I do understand that he was quite controlling and perhaps she was scared...but she should have known better.

I hope the media are sympathetic toward her and she doesn't get all these people shrieking and protesting outside her house.
  • Options
    I just heard on the raideo that Ms Carr got 3 months
  • Options
    No - she got 2 and a half years but because shes been in custody for 2 she'll be out quite soon, which is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    No - she got 2 and a half years but because shes been in custody for 2 she'll be out quite soon, which is probably a good thing.

Shes been in custody since the end of last August, 1 year 3 months.

Where shes going to go when she gets out is anyones guess, if she makes it out.
  • Options
    I still believe there's a lot more to this story, and the way the police kept letting Huntley off is probably part of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Shes been in custody since the end of last August, 1 year 3 months.

Where shes going to go when she gets out is anyones guess, if she makes it out.

Oh Jesus - its disgusting to think that she won't make it out!! She was tried and found guilty of one offence for which she will be punnished...end of case surely!!
  • Options
    When looking at his previous record it does seem strange that he was allowed to work at a school.

I do believe strongly though that no previous allegations should be brought forward during the trial, they would have coloured the jury and then they wouldnt have judged on the case.

I think there is more to this than the papers are reporting, its not as clear cut as is made out. The jury took ages deciding and even then one of them said he wasnt guilty. Curious.

As I've said a few times, sexual offences should be treated as a mental health issue, not a criminal one, only in this way will be have any hope of rehabilitating the offenders involved. It could also mean that you would be able to section someone if a pannel of doctors felt that a person was a risk to children or others. However this kind of detention without trial is very risky and a lot of checks should be put into place.
  • Options
    All I can say is 'Great Result'
    How long will he get ? and i hope he serves the full sentence, NO early release !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    He clearly should be in Broadmoor (is that place still open?) of somewhere similar.

People who do crimes like these are mentaly ill, I think the only way of reducing the number of them (which is not going up) is by trying to understand their motivation. And for that you need mental health professionals.
  • Options
    He'll never get out so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Options
    He clearly should be in Broadmoor (is that place still open?) of somewhere similar.

he should be in jail. end of.
    People who do crimes like these are mentaly ill, I think the only way of reducing the number of them (which is not going up) is by trying to understand their motivation. And for that you need mental health professionals.]

Bullshit. He was mentally stable enough to hold down a job, a girlfriend and a house, he was mentally stable enough to conduct a set of lies to try and cover the fact he murdered two innocent young girls. Why you seek to understand people like this I have no idea.
    I think there is more to this than the papers are reporting, its not as clear cut as is made out. The jury took ages deciding and even then one of them said he wasnt guilty. Curious.

probably because they had one lunatic like you on there, fortunately, there were 11 others who were normal.
    As I've said a few times, sexual offences should be treated as a mental health issue, not a criminal one, only in this way will be have any hope of rehabilitating the offenders involved

You can be intelligent sometimes you really can, this is why I am so surprised when you post stuff like this. Would you jail any rapists, pedos etc??:confused:

Are you prepared to let 100 re-offends happen if we manage to rehabilite one??

There is no need to find excuses for sex offenders, because there isnt one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    Why you seek to understand people like this I have no idea.

To try and prevent it happening again perhaps? Why do some people (mostly right wingers) have a problem understanding the difference between understanding and excusing? :confused:
  • Options

probably because they had one lunatic like you on there, fortunately, there were 11 others who were normal.

[/B]

No - infact this was a very difficult case where there was even the possiblity that he would be found guilty of the manslaughter of one and the murder of the other, or that the evidence presented by the prosecution may not have convinced every person beyond reasonable doubt.

They have to be careful in cases like this because the case could come up for appeal if thee is anything untoward about the judgement, jury or evidence so its not surprising there was some debate amongst the jury!
  • Options
    To try and prevent it happening again perhaps?

hang them then if thats the intention. no chance of it happening again then is there. oh sod it, lets rehabilitate them all, Fred West, Myra Hindley, Hitler, stalin, fuck it. No ones a bad person, we all have different morals. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL sickening.
    They have to be careful in cases like this because the case could come up for appeal if thee is anything untoward about the judgement, jury or evidence so its not surprising there was some debate amongst the jury

There wasnt debate, it was 11-1. It was a clear verdict dragged out by one lunatic, he probably posts on here :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    hang them then if thats the intention. no chance of it happening again then is there.

Oh dear. You seem to have a habit of spectacularly missing the point (another trait of right wingers).

Understanding what turns people into child abusers/murderers etc might go some way to preventing other people turning out like that. Got it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB

There wasnt debate, it was 11-1. It was a clear verdict dragged out by one lunatic, he probably posts on here :rolleyes:

solo perhaps? Paul2 mayhap?
  • Options
    Oh dear. You seem to have a habit of spectacularly missing the point (another trait of right wingers).

Thats suits me as it seems a trait of the left is understanding murderers, kiddy fiddlers and rapists.

I know what side Id rather be on.
  • Options
    Can you read English?

Understanding is not the same as excusing. Don't you think it might be an idea to find out why some people turn out like Ian Huntley? So we can try and prevent more child murders in the future? Or are you more comfortable having a folkdevil to direct your hatred at? 'cos that requires less thought and effort doesn't it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    solo perhaps? Paul2 mayhap?

MOK wanted a manslaugter verdict, maybe it was him.;)
    Can you read English?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Understanding is not the same as excusing.

with some people it is, with some people it isnt.
    Don't you think it might be an idea to find out why some people turn out like Ian Huntley?

We have perverts and sickos in the world, we always have we always will. Long ago they got away, a short time ago we put them away, these days we try to understand them. You send a wonderful message out to potential Ian Huntleys you do. ohhhhhh ohhhhh we'll try and understand you precious.

wanker.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    We have perverts and sickos in the world, we always have we always will. Long ago they got away, a short time ago we put them away, these days we try to understand them. You send a wonderful message out to potential Ian Huntleys you do. ohhhhhh ohhhhh we'll try and understand you precious.

wanker.

LMFAO! You really are something aren't you. :D

Its so easy to demonise with labels such as "pervert" and "sicko", its a lot harder to actually look a bit deeper into these things isn't it? Whats the matter, is your lone braincell overheating? Do you think that the correlation between emotional abuse and neglect in childhood and serial killers is a statistical fluke? Do you ever wonder why abuse tends to be a cycle that recurs in some families? Probably not 'cos its easier to scream PERVERT! KILL! KILL! isn't it?
  • Options
    Nice to see an inquiry being launced as well into how he got a job.

Better than perverts like Blagsta who would probably be conducting an investigation on why he is going to jail instead of us trying to understand him.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I am so glad people like you never reach positions of power Blaggie.

You make me laugh as well.

Ill do you a deal. Ill scream sicko and pervert, you scream lets understand the killers.

Im starting to wonder what you went down for. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    Better than perverts like Blagsta who would probably be conducting an investigation on why he is going to jail instead of us trying to understand him.:rolleyes:

You really don't do yourself any favours on here do you? Instead of engaging with the debate you stick your fingers in your ears and go ner ner ner I'm not listening. Nice one. How old are you? Five?

And if you can find where I said he shouldn't go to jail, you can have my next paycheque.