Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Transsexual's stubble battle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should Transsexuals be given free laser treatment to get rid of their stubble on the N.H.S or should they pay for it themselves ?

I beleive if they want it then they should pay for it out of their own pocket. Having stubble is not a life threatening disease, it may not look nice but would I get free treatment to get rid of hair on my upper lip ? (not that i have but some people do)

If a transexxual wants to go the full hog and get the full op then they live as a woman for a year, some women do have facial hair, its not serious enough to warrant valuable money coming out of the N.H.S, that money could be used for someone who needs medical help.

You can read the story Here which is from my local paper.

Comments

• Options
    Hey, if they can, then why shouldn't women be able to get it for their legs?

Whoa, no more epilators!
  • Options
    yes they should then I would pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    yes they should then I would pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman :rolleyes:

but then you would have to live as a man for a year and your boobs would not look like they do in your av :lol:

He is still waiting to see if he can get this treatment, but im really against it. Some men suffer from spots and stuff from shaving, now if they want laser treatment to get rid of the hair they have to pay for it. Its just not fair in my opinion.
  • Options
    no they shouldn't! the nhs should be there for health not fashion and/or vanity.
  • Options
    This one's broken, too.

Anyway, I don't think the NHS should pay for stubble removal, it's a very cosmetic thing. But should thye pay for the op.? Many people believe that transexuality is a medical condition, so should the NHS be paying or not?
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    This one's broken, too.

Anyway, I don't think the NHS should pay for stubble removal, it's a very cosmetic thing. But should thye pay for the op.? Many people believe that transexuality is a medical condition, so should the NHS be paying or not?
    yeah but the thing is, women get hair on their face, I have friends that have these problems and they dont get it free. If there was enough money to go round for everyone to have a good service from the NHS, only then would I consider it.
  • Options
    I think whether or not they should get the full sex change op is another issue altogether than this one.

I'd say that they probably shouldnt be allowed to have it on the NHS, you can always wax etc. Theres a whole host of things you can do.
  • Options
    they should get it free...its part of the treatment for a serious health reasignment. I've known 3 transexuals...
  • Options
    I have nothing against transexuals but I don't think this should be available on the nhs. They can pay for it themselves.
    Like Vicky said, other people have these problems, such as a lot of dark haired girls, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't expect free treatment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I have nothing against transexuals but I don't think this should be available on the nhs. They can pay for it themselves.
    Like Vicky said, other people have these problems, such as a lot of dark haired girls, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't expect free treatment.
    I have an Asian friend and she gets this problem a lot. Every month she has to pay to get the hair on her face threaded and she doesnt expect it for free.
  • Options
    It depends on the individual. If the stubble is creating psychological problems then the NHS should do it.

No difference from the tattoo removal service the NHS offers. Not freely available to everyone, but in the cases where it is creating mental distress a doctor can ask the NHS to step in and do it for free.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It depends on the individual. If the stubble is creating psychological problems then the NHS should do it.

No difference from the tattoo removal service the NHS offers. Not freely available to everyone, but in the cases where it is creating mental distress a doctor can ask the NHS to step in and do it for free.

I never knew that tattoo's could be removed on the NHS.
    I suppose the NHS would be flexible to do a lot of other non-standard treatment if their is a reference from their doctor.
  • Options
    Only if the doctor judges it is genuinely causing distress. Someone I know had the name of her first boyfriend tattooed on her arse. After many years they split, and when she entered the next relationship the new boyfriend didn't appreciate seeing the name of another bloke every time they went to bed. This started to create problems and she eventually got severe depression as well as ruining her sex life, so the doctor asked the NHS to remove it.
  • Options

That excuse is really unvalid.
    It causes women stress and agony to find the time to get a proper wax and it hurts and sometimes you can be allergic to it.
    And we all know that stress can result in a nervous breakdown.
  • Options
    Actually I know girls who can't look themselves in the mirror without wearing make-up, should the health sector finance their make-up?
    Weeee! Lots of MAC and YSL!

Or I really need a new hair-style. Urgh, setting my hair in the morning is such a drag and ruins all of my day as I need to check how it looks all the time. Maybe the health sector should finance that?
  • Options
    No, I don't think they should. There's allot of people with real problems that would kill to have free surgery/treatment or something. I hear that being a transsexual is a mental health disorder(?). What about being gay? Being gay isn't classed as a mental disorder is it? Why should a bloke wanting to be a women be classed as a problem so they get free treatment?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    No, I don't think they should. There's allot of people with real problems that would kill to have free surgery/treatment or something. I hear that being a transsexual is a mental health disorder(?). What about being gay? Being gay isn't classed as a mental disorder is it? Why should a bloke wanting to be a women be classed as a problem so they get free treatment?

Most gay people do not want to change sex and being gay is a common thing where is being a wanabe transexual is not that common therefore they have classified it as a mental disorder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Actually I know girls who can't look themselves in the mirror without wearing make-up, should the health sector finance their make-up?
    Weeee! Lots of MAC and YSL!

Or I really need a new hair-style. Urgh, setting my hair in the morning is such a drag and ruins all of my day as I need to check how it looks all the time. Maybe the health sector should finance that?
    If you were genuinely traumatised by your current hairdo, and if getting a new one was going to cost many thousands of Pounds then the health service should probably get you one, yes.

But unlike laser treatment, hairdos are cheap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    they should get it free...its part of the treatment for a serious health reasignment. I've known 3 transexuals...

why should it be free ?
    They have to live as a woman for a year, so lets assume the treatment is free and very early into this change over period they decide they cannot live as a woman but by this time they have received the treatment. Is it right to waste that money ? Is it right that a Mr Ordinary down the street has to pay for his treatment because he cannot shave because everytime he shaves his faces gets a bad rash and yet a transsexual gets it free ?
  • Options
    If you were genuinely traumatised by your current hairdo, and if getting a new one was going to cost many thousands of Pounds then the health service should probably get you one, yes.

But unlike laser treatment, hairdos are cheap.

That excuse will bring a lot of unnecessary cases to the health sector. It's not logical, sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Most gay people do not want to change sex and being gay is a common thing where is being a wanabe transexual is not that common therefore they have classified it as a mental disorder.
    There is a difference. I know that I for one am more than happy as a girl, thank you. The deal with transsexuals is perceived to be that they feel as though they are in the "wrong" body and this usually cannot be solved through counselling so the op. is really the only option. But I'm not an expert here, so I may have got the wrong idea slightly.
  • Options
    i want my forsekin back!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Hey, if they can, then why shouldn't women be able to get it for their legs?

Whoa, no more epilators!

i agree! plus that NHS money/time/care cud be spent on people with proper problems who need it more than some transexuals who cant be arsed to shave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i want my forsekin back!

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    Well, I don't think there has been a single case in history when a woman has had serious mental distress or other psychological problems because she grows hair in her legs. But if there were, the NHS would take care of her.

It is logical to help in such cases. That's what the health service is there for: to help people. It's up to the doctors to decide whether the person is eligible to laser treatment. If many transsexuals are having the treatment done on the NHS is because doctors have concluded it is causing them serious distress. Real mental distress, as opposed to "oh my gawd, look at that hair growing on my legs! I wish I could get rid of it" type of 'distress'.
  • Options
    But if there were, the NHS would take care of her.

Yes maybe, but how many years would she have to wait ?
  • Options
    It's cosmetic and can be taken care of in the privacy of ones own home, period.
    If you want to live like a woman, without the periods, then feel damn lucky that the only thing you need to take care of is hair removal.

Providing it for them, is sheer stupidity and total waste of funds which could go to more serious cases.
  • Options
    Transsexual NHS treatment...

....I am diagnosed as being Gender Dysphoric which is classed as transsexual. Now I have nothing in common with most so called transsexuals I've met and I too disagree with the recent story about someone getting tattoo removal on the NHS.

Now this person was a typical man: a merchant Navy seaman who had married 3 times and had quite a few children. This person in my opinion is not someone like me. I have always appeared female physically all my life, not ever able to produce sperm or offspring genetically and not open to any male conditioning. It is believed I may be intersexed, so for me it is a medical condition.

I have never had or been able to get treatment through the NHS in any shape or form and any treatment I have had, I have paid for. I believe there needs to be more investigation and monitoring within the NHS to make sure priorities are met for certain issues.
  • Options
    This thread is dead, you might be best starting a new one.
  • Options
    i want my forsekin back!

You can! http://www.tlctugger.com/ :p
This discussion has been closed.