Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

best friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i recently found out that i have no-one that i can call my BEST friend. i always thought i had one but it seems i was wrong.

i have a group of friends, there are 5 of us, but the thing is, they are best friends in their twos (if that makes sense).

i always felt i had alot of friends, but the thing i need is someone i can turn to first, and someone who i can easily say "yes, you are my best friend" to.

this is partly my fault, as i have been in a way neglecting my friend, but i have often tried to make an effort to become more involved but it seems it didnt make any difference and we have quickly grown apart.

can anyone help me out?

love

Lizzy xXx

Comments

• Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I don't have anyone to call a best friend either apart from my boyfriend is my best friend but that doesn't really count. But I thought this girl at school was my best friend but since I have left she hasn't really spoken to me.
  • Options
    I know only too well how you feel infact i wish i even had a group of people to call friends, of course yeah i do know people and talk to them but I dont have anyone i can tell stuff to or even jsut hang around with

and yus i really am rathe quite sad but meh :rolleyes:

wanna be my friend? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    I know only too well how you feel infact i wish i even had a group of people to call friends, of course yeah i do know people and talk to them but I dont have anyone i can tell stuff to or even jsut hang around with

I SHALL BEFREIND YOU GAV!

Know how you feel though, i do not have one best freind. I have a small group of people (mostly girls) who i trust more than anyone else though.
  • Options
    Im in a group of about 4 or 5 people where we are all best friends to each other. None of us pair up or anything we are all just each others best mates at the same time. Its rather cool really but feels wierd that there isnt one I could say is my best mate.

Cool thing is though, with my mates they all are good at different things so say if I want to get drunk I know which one to go to or if I want to talk about something sensitive its someone else or if I have a really private and slightly embaressing problem theres someone else etc.
  • Options
    Erm...

Does it really matter that much!?

As long as you have some good friends, it ain't really an issue, is it?! :confused: :eek2:

All sounds a bit silly to be...
  • Options
    Re: Erm...
    Originally posted by g_angel007
    All sounds a bit silly to be...

No its not silly, i cant see why you think that way.
    Its nice to feel that you have one person that you can rely on 100%, have someone you just click with and are best mates.

As the saying goes two's company, three's a crown and its right.
  • Options
    Re: Erm...
    Originally posted by g_angel007
    Does it really matter that much!?

what i was thinking.

i don't have one person that i think of as my best friend. i have one friend who knows me better than most of the others, but i'm not all 'OMG!!! you're my best friend'.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Erm...
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    what i was thinking.

i don't have one person that i think of as my best friend. i have one friend who knows me better than most of the others, but i'm not all 'OMG!!! you're my best friend'.

I dont think it was meant to come out that way, the way I read it was that there is 5 of them and they tend to pair off and maybe she feels left out.
    I dont think she meant it as I 'need' a best friend, more like she just feels left out of that group ?
  • Options
    hmm...

Yer, thats exactly what its like. i have always had a best friend...its just wierd that i dont have one now :confused:

I fell rreally bad because i have just left her in the past and in her words "i have changed alot, and its not always in a good way". i think she's right. i think i might just have to live with it. i hope everyone has better luck than me :)

love

Lizzy

here's vicki, she's in the group im in: :thumb:

hey people just to say that we absolutly luv lizzy and she's the bestest ever and if the person in question doesn't wanna be her best friend then she's missing out becasue she's the bestest friend ever :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman

:yes: I know exactly what you meand.

When Iw as at school, I thought I had loads of god mates, we would all stick together etc etc. Then we all went off to uni and hardly any of us speak any more, and if we do it's once every few months just to catch up with each other, but none of them are people I can ever go to with problems etc.

Then I was at uni, was foolish enough not to really make many friends at my own uni cos I stayed with my b/f too much was mates with all the lads he was mates with adn then we split up. Yet again at the time I really needed someone most I was on my own. But I did think there were a couple I'd stay friends with. But within 6 months of being apart when I quit uni I'd never get texts etc. People move on without you when you arne't around anymore.

Then met Andy adn things didn't seem too bad, had him there for me, but I still never could talk to him and tell him things, don't know suppose I feel some of my problems are silly adn don't trust people not to laugh etc, or understand when I get upset about my dad dying even though it was 12 years ago now.

Well me and Andy split and I got some good mates from various jobs etc, or so I thought. But now I've come back to uni and none of us keep in touch either. Can text them and they won't reply etc etc. Yes I have mates at uni, but they're all younger than me and tbh don't understand in a matture enough way my problems. Yes they are good mates, but they don't understand the fact that I'm older done everything before and all I want is to settle down tbh. I know I'm only 21 and I shouldn't really feel that way, but I've had to grow up in life to deal with things as well as possible.

All I can say is I'm glad I've got Asa and my sister-in-law they are the only 2 people I'll trust enough to talk problems through with and I don't know what I'd have done without them over the past year.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, people are very rarely as genuine as you think and the only people that really will always be there for you are those that love you like family. I know it's a harsh way to look on the world but so often it's true. Rarely friends will stay with you through thick and thin. Friendship groups regularly alter, it's just something you've got to move with rather than letting it get you down.
  • Options
    Re: best friends
    Originally posted by xXx~Lizzy~xXx
    i recently found out that i have no-one that i can call my BEST friend........ i always felt i had alot of friends, but the thing i need is someone i can turn to first, and someone who i can easily say "yes, you are my best friend" to.

i feel the same way, its cuz im not open enough to let any one get close to me.plus even if i did, they would just let me down or annoy me anyway
  • Options
    I always had a bestfriend when I was at school, it changed every couple of years like it does when you're young and fickle but I always had one. Til I left school and went to college & uni and then everyone was just in 1 big group really, although like you say people are still usually in 2's and I never really was. My ex was the person who I'd have said was my bestmate for the last 3 years, but obviously he isn't anymore although he is still a good mate. It's only recently that I'd say I have a 'bestfriend' again, but I think as you get older you do tend to have lots of good mates rather than just 1 bestfriend.