Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Saddam Captured!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm put him in that zoo that Uday had I believe. Then you could lay on daily crates of rotten veggies and charge the public admission to pass by and hurl it all at him.. Covers the cost of his imprisonment and gives him an all you can eat buffet all in one fell swoop.

Problem solved.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun

You couldn't lock him up in your normal type prison.

:confused:
    and what is a normal type prison?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and what is a normal type prison?

I knew someone would ask this.

One where just petty criminals go, like a local sort of jail, not a huge security place.

Re open Alcatraz and send him away there on his own ;)
  • Options
    If Bush and co have there way, i suspect they have a cell designed for him in Guantanemo. Im sure they could find more clever spin to convince the public that he's really a terrorist or "illegal" combatant.

Preferentially he should be tried by the UN for whose supposed dictat this invasion was launched in the first place. But then the Bush admin has disregarded the consistency of that initial claim so many times already, I suspect they will handpick the judges or let their CPA puppets do it and try him and execute him right there in Baghdad.
  • Options
    I suspect they will handpick the judges or let their CPA puppets do it and try him and execute him right there in Baghdad.

Who here would support this?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Who here would support this?

Any intervention by the American Government no. How about some sort of international thing?
  • Options
    What about letting the Iraqis decide?

Or no? Isn't Saddams death convinient? Should he rather live on in a cell, probably recieving better rights than most due to his contacts?

With his mentality, only death will cause him to feel defeat.
  • Options
    Prehaps we should be watching Newsnight right now;)
    I still think death would be an easy way out though, i dont want the Americans heavily involved either, as they'll probably kill him too. A fair trial in Iraq will also lead to death though...hmmm
  • Options
    I will cracking open a bottle of champagne the day he dies, but I would not advocate the death penalty. Firstly because the death penalty makes us all a bit like Saddam himself, and secondly because it would serve his cause. Much better to let him rot in a jail cell than to make him a martyr.
  • Options
    Saddam was secular, and indulged himself in many western activities.
    The religious moslems would kill him themselves if they could...
    He will be regarded as a martyr by a group who're awfully displaced. The ones who're not associated to any muslim acknowledged religious group. And not to any group who're politically sane.

So some will view him as a martyr, so fucking what? I rarely support death penalty, but this guy will only swallow his pride once he faces death. Until then he'll still believe that he has a chance of returning to rule Iraq.

Consequences...
    Killing Saddam, won't make me even a tiny bit like him, it'll just be a punishment which he deserves.
    The day I start showing resemblance to him, is the day I commit mass murder for fun and rejoice in it. Before then, he's still in a league reserved for people of the lowest kind.
  • Options
    One of the reasons we think of Saddam as bad - he executed his enemies.

What are people proposing we do with him - execute our enemy!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

, but this guy will only swallow his pride once he faces death. Until then he'll still believe that he has a chance of returning to rule Iraq.

Why do you care if he would be deluded enough to think he could return to power? What is so important about him swallowing his pride?

The important thing is that we have seen him humiliated as has everyone else, what he thinks is irrelevant..........
  • Options
    I think it would be foolish of any of us to try and make judgements on what Sadam would like or would not like. I'd suspect that his state of mind isnt exactly predictable.

Personally, as I have said I'd like the Iraqis to decide, but I hope they decide not to kill him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    One of the reasons we think of Saddam as bad - he executed his enemies.

What are people proposing we do with him - execute our enemy!

:rolleyes:

If you can't see the difference between an instance of him killing without remorse for fun and as harsh as possible, and him being excuted as a punishment, as a stop for his killings then there's no point in me discussing this at all.
  • Options
    But what do we mean if we say 'let the Iraqis decide' they have mo constitution/elected govt/established legal system, should we wait for all these things? It would surely be mnay years before anyone could say the Iraqi institutions were established enough to permit a valid trial, possibly not a good thing........

Consider also the harm Saddam has done to other nations, it is not just the Iraqis who have been harmed.

We tried the Nazis at Nuremberg, why not do a similar thing here, an international trila held in Iraq?
  • Options
    I think you're misreading it Jacqs. Saddam's capture itself was a humiliation. He had guns. He could have done a last stand, like his own sons did. But chose not to and his very first words were 'I want to negotiate'.

This is the man who kept saying he shall die defending his country against the American invader. That he was not afraid of death and that all Iraqis who died fighting the Americans would be martyrs. He's betrayed his own words and been shown as a coward.

A death penalty would at least give him and his supporters some minor victory. But the worst thing you could do to him was to lock him for life. No glorious death, no martyrdom. Just left to rot inside a prison cell while the world promptly forgets about him. That's the worse thing you could do to his pride. Killing him won't make him swallow his pride- on the contrary.
  • Options
    I think that Saddam should be tried in Iraq, by the Iraqi people. However, that presents the problem of which Iraqis are going to do it, as there will probably be no uncorrupt judges left in the country. Iraq needs international help to establish a fair court, but Britain doesn't want to get involved if the death penalty is one of the punishments, since it looks double standardy if we claim to be against the death penalty, and then help a country that does have it. The UN also won't get involved for that reason.
    If we try him in the Hauge, the trial will probably continue on for years, with no conclusive end, like Milosevich.

The death penalty should definitely be enforced, and Saddam should hang painfully. We are not on the same level by killing him as he is, having killed his enemies, as we haven't committed the atrocities that he has. We would be killing him as a suitable punishment that he totally deserves, after mindlessly mass murdering so many people. If I was an Iraqi citizen, I would feel more 'closure,' safe in the knowledge that he was dead, rather than sitting in a jail cell still alive, with the possibility (however remote) that he might get out again.
  • Options
    Let him die in his cell, an old, decrepit and powerless man.

Let him watch as he sees his people forget him, and his life is slowly sapped away.

Alternatively bring him here and put him on a state pension, it's pretty much the same thing.

.....God I'm funny :lol:
  • Options
    Well said, Luce.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Alternatively bring him here and put him on a state pension, it's pretty much the same thing.

LMAO! saddly that isn't far from the truth whotsit.
  • Options
    We tried the Nazis at Nuremberg, why not do a similar thing here, an international trila held in Iraq?

We also tried the Japanese.

And the death penalty applied in both instances.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

And the death penalty applied in both instances.

I am pretty sure it didn't actually, i think the nazis were sent to prison, not killed.............
  • Options
    No you were right some of them were sentenced to death by hanging

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/NurembergIndictments.html

But those were earlier times, Uk still had the penalty, I would imagine most of the nations that have now abolished had it in the 40s as well.............
  • Options

I am pretty sure it didn't actually, i think the nazis were sent to prison, not killed.............

correct
  • Options
    at Nuremberg the first trail resulted in the conviction of nineteen defendants, twelve were sentenced to death.
  • Options
    sorry found a more reliable looking source -

Oct 1st 1946 Major War Criminals trial - 11 sentenced to death (10 executed - Goering killed himself)

April 10th 1947 - 14 of the defendants (members of mobile killing units) are sentenced to death

Aug 21st 1947 - As the doctor's trial concludes 7 nazi doctors are sentenced to death

the source

nuremberg trial

Obviously a number of people were not found guilty and a large number were not sentanced to death
  • Options
    One thought though. Isn't Dubya's constant talk about how Saddam is a terrible tyrant that should and will hang for his crimes going to prejudice the jurors and ruin the chances of a fair trial?

I mean, we all know he's guilty of many things and all that, but after the Axis of Idiots have been saying how Iraq is capable of holding a fair trial, how they have full confidence in the Iraqi justice system, and how it is very important that a fair trial is given, it'd be nice if they shut their mouths and stop interfering.

As a matter of fact, if the trial was to be completely and utterly impartial and fair, Saddam would get off on the basis that it'd be impossible for him to have a fair trial anywhere, especially with the Mad Texan and his poodle controlling everything in Iraq and the world press rejoicing in the capture of the evil tyrant.

Oh the irony!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    If I was an Iraqi citizen, I would feel more 'closure,' safe in the knowledge that he was dead, rather than sitting in a jail cell still alive, with the possibility (however remote) that he might get out again.

You ARE aware - are you not - that Hussein had previously been sentenced to death, in Iraq? Decades ago...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    You ARE aware - are you not - that Hussein had previously been sentenced to death, in Iraq? Decades ago...

What for? and when?
  • Options
    especially with the Mad Texan and his poodle controlling everything in Iraq and the world press rejoicing in the capture of the evil tyrant.

What? SH is a guilty as f*** regardless of any intervention by US/uk, the average (non Baathist) knows that so does the World. GWB is a saint by comparison