Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Right to buy"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Those ads on TV at the moment "Have you got the right to buy your council house?"....hmmm I don't think thats really fair.

I remember when I was 18 and pregnant and had to leave home, I was on the coucil housing list for a year, in which time I'd had the baby and moved into a private rented property.

Surely council housing is there for people who can't afford to buy houses, and people buying them up is leaving less available for these people.

Just a thought...

Comments

• Options
    There are several reasons why councils like the whole "right to buy" thing.

The reason, in theory why it was created was to give some people in a council housing area a stake in it. If the people actually own the flat/house then, the theory goes they will look after it better and care more for the community around them. Also because they own the place if they do get a job etc then they are slightly less likely to move out.

However a lot of people see it as a way for councils to make money, selling off flats that have gone up massively in value since they were first built. There is also the issue that they are normaly sold under the market value and then some people just sell them straight on and make money, somewhat ruining the point of the scheme.

Personally I think flats should only be sold off if there are new ones to replace them. But I do think that selling off some flats in an area could help it gain a better mix of incomes.
  • Options
    Every thief has the right to sell stolen stuff to everybody including his victims.
    So what a problem?
  • Options
    What on earth are you talking about?
  • Options
    He is a supporter of anarchy.
    So probably calling the state a thief for claiming taxes... And the rest I am sure you can figure out.
  • Options
    The ghost of monocrat rises from the grave... :D
  • Options
    originally the scheme was set up as before to help people feel part of the community by owning their property, now it is a way for council and people to make apparantly easy money to the detriment of everyone, my mum brought her house, but she has lived in it for 15 years and wants to carry on living in it so bought it at a discounted rate

however thing about the lack fo council housing available now, ACTUALLY when it was set up im sure the councils within a certain area, had to replace each one sold with one brought, but i think that law got changed in early 90's, not sure can someone clarify
  • Options
    When Maggie brought in the law about the right to buy your council house, The councils werent allowed to build new houses. Thats why there is such a shortage of council places now.
    What a woman eh :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Every thief has the right to sell stolen stuff to everybody including his victims.
    So what a problem?
    Erm... no, I think you'll find that that is in fact illegal. Called dealing in stolen goods...
  • Options
    Well if the right to buy wasn't around then I wouldnt be where I am today,
    I purchased the house for £13,000 then a few years later I beleive sold it for £32,000 which left me a big deposit to buy a bigger, nicer house.
    so im not complaining :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Well if the right to buy wasn't around then I wouldnt be where I am today,
    I purchased the house for £13,000 then a few years later I beleive sold it for £32,000 which left me a big deposit to buy a bigger, nicer house.
    so im not complaining :D
    Thats the thing. People are bound to jump at the opportunity, My mum did too. I still dont think it should have been made law, although I did benefit from it, there are far more who lost out.
  • Options
    Oh yeah most deffinately.
    Id hate to think I was a 1st time buyer having to buy a house which wasnt a council house. Poor buggers will have massive mortgages and probably have to scrimp and save just to pay the mortgage alone.

This house only cost me £41,500 (I think) and now valued approx £70,000 ish or sommat. But I couldnt afford to move now, good job i like it here eh :)
  • Options
    my nana lived in the same house since before I was born. apparently she could have bought it a couple of years ago for £7000. Although its hard to let go emotionall of some places, and although we could have made a lot of money on the place, it would be a shame, because people do need social housing. After she died a new family moved in there. Thats the way it should be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    When Maggie brought in the law about the right to buy your council house, The councils werent allowed to build new houses.

No, but the councils were allowed to set up Housing Associations in order to build new affordable housing. Which they did.

Ergo your point is meaningless.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, but the councils were allowed to set up Housing Associations in order to build new affordable housing. Which they did.

Ergo your point is meaningless.
    Oh did they?
    So why is there such a shortage of social housing?
    The fact is, they DIDNT build nearly as many houses as they sold off, and not nearly as much as they needed.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/housing/comment/0,7894,769435,00.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    So why is there such a shortage of social housing?

In the South-East there is a shortage of affordable housing, of that there is no doubt, but in many parts of the north there is a surplus of it.

Bradford's housing stock, for instance, is running at about 85% capacity, or it was last time I checked. The trouble is that the empty houses are on estates that no-one wants to live on, but thats not really the councils fault is it?

In Glasgow the largest landlord is still the City Council.

The trouble is not the sell-off, it is council finances. Councils do not have the resources to maintain the housing stock, and councils do not have the finances to renovate decrepid housing stock. And that is not anything to do with Thatcher, that is everything to do with Blair (and to a lesser extent Major) who has set the system up so that 75% of all local council funding comes from central government. The properties are there, its just that theyre not always of the best quality and in the most desirable areas, but to rectify that would cost money. Money no-one is able to spend, and money no-one is willing to provide, yet when PFI is touted as a solution everyone recoils in terror.