Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US Army at it again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
US Solidiers kill 6 children in Afghanistan

Does the American Miliatary not have reliable intelligence? How many civilians are going to be killed in this 'War on Terror':rolleyes: That moron Bush, cant even wait until his wars are finished before he starts a new one to 'liberate' countries.
Makes me sick.

Comments

• Options
    That's collateral damage for you. :rolleyes:

With the earlier incident, they basically followed this "terrorist" into a house. Despite being a group of children playing next to the house they bombed it to fuck.

In the aftermath I saw a US army spokesman speaking of the operation. He said that the militant had seen running into a house and hiding. Upon which US helicopter gunships/aircraft proceeded to neutralise him. The result of the operation was that the target had been killed, as well as 8 others who unfortunately happened to be innocent children.

Beautiful.
  • Options
    The probelm as I see it seems to be the use of air power rather than ground operations to eliminate individual tergets, often in civillian areas.

I assume this is to minimise casualties which is fair enough but this has to be weighed against the increased risk to civillians etc.

It seems that the US military does not put that much emphsais on the lives of civillians..........
  • Options
    Yet it can certainly roll out the rhetoric of "genocide" when its villified targets' own past "collateral damage" is invoked as justification for the rebirth of war of aggression.

Double standards and spin are such wonderful tools, wouldn't you agree? ;)
  • Options
    That's one of the problems of current wars. Unfortunately (and this is especially true of the US) the life of a single soldier seems to be worth more than 1,000 locals. Hence the aerial operations. Hence the high-altitude carpet bombings.

Not very brave, and certainly not good for the general health of the local population...
  • Options
    I bet if some enemy of the USA got involved in a war some how on American soil, any bombing of civilian targets would immediatly be condemned by the US government wouldnt it?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Doesn't have to be on American soil as current events demonstrate. All that is required is that a government decides to conduct warfare on its neighbours or repression of its own citizens without Washington's approval. Then it simply fodder for further mainstream media reports about how evil and inhumane said government is and must "be dealt with"!

Of course, also attempt to exercise democratic freedom and self determination by calling for a referendum on independence from a well documented human rights abusing anti-democrat nation (ala Taiwan - China) without the Bush admin's approval and all rhetoric from these magnanimous "freedom loving" champions of liberty transforms into dire warnings against as they and the PRC reps shake hands around the table.
  • Options
    The American army sucks. They should have left us in charge, at least we'd have finished the job by now without killing so many people.
    The reason why 400 of their soldiers have died, compared to about 15 of ours is because they don't know how to treat civilians. They think placating them is a sign of weakness, even though we can't win the war without the consent of the population.
    If the Iraqis wanted to now they could easily overwhlem the American forces, we've all seen before how American soldiers shit themselves when they're being shot at from buildings.
    Give them a field to run around in and they're fine, give them something more challenging and they go beserk killing everything BUT the people shooting at them.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: US Army at it again
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    US Solidiers kill 6 children in Afghanistan

Does the American Miliatary not have reliable intelligence? How many civilians are going to be killed in this 'War on Terror':rolleyes: That moron Bush, cant even wait until his wars are finished before he starts a new one to 'liberate' countries.
    Makes me sick.

i'd use that word VERY losely mate.
  • Options
    The comment I heard on Radio Four by an US Army spokesperson was that the 6 most recent childrens death was caused by a wall falling on them. He said that he wasnt sure why the fall fell down!

Perhaps because you bombed it from the air?
  • Options
    Re: Whowhere post

The Americans might be good at killing but are indeed shite at building relations or treating the locals with the respect they deserve.

But if you think the Americans have been bad until now, wait for this:

US adopts Israeli army tactics on the Iraqis

Who, they? I hear you scream... Yep. Obviously the Americans regard the Israeli occupation of Palestine as a success (in which respect I'm not sure) so they have started to cut off and barb wire entire towns. I'm sure the Iraqis will show their eternal gratitude to their "liberators" for it. Another piece on the issue.

"Best" of all is the profound understanding and diplomacy the US army is graced with. Look what a US Army officer in charge of the operations had to say:
    "You have to understand the Arab mind," Capt. Todd Brown, a company commander with the Fourth Infantry Division, said as he stood outside the gates of Abu Hishma. "The only thing they understand is force — force, pride and saving face."

Bunch of racist c unts! And they wonder why the Iraqis are not showing their gratitude towards their "saviours"
    :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    In the aftermath I saw a US army spokesman speaking of the operation. He said that the militant had seen running into a house and hiding. Upon which US helicopter gunships/aircraft proceeded to neutralise him. The result of the operation was that the target had been killed, as well as 8 others who unfortunately happened to be innocent children.

Beautiful.

Just a thought, looking at a bigger picture, but if this man was indeed a terrorist how many lives would have been lost had he been able to continue?

Or shouldn't we be considering that?
  • Options
    That is an interesting point, but how many people are we turning into terrorists by this type of sloppy action?

Perhaps if we did closer raids, actualy using troops on the ground in snatch squads then there wouldnt be as many little chilrens bodies to put on the news.
  • Options
    Putting aside whether he was a terrorist or a militant fighting a foreign invader, a country that claims to care about the lives of civilians and to be fighting there for their wellbeing should at least try to minimise civilian casualties.

I suspect there is also an obligation under several conventions to respect civilian lives whenever possible- although since the US has spat on the Geneva accords repeatedly in the last 2 years I don't expect them to pay much attention to rules or legality anymore.

But for their own sake, if they want to earn the respect of the locals (many of which are fighting them not because they are Taleban/Saddam supporters, but because they see them as a hostile, unwelcome invaders) they should at least abandon their gun-ho attitude, put more soldiers on the ground when conducting such operations and try not to blow up villages from the air and to hell with who might be playing nearby.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    That is an interesting point, but how many people are we turning into terrorists by this type of sloppy action?

And how many think again because of what happened to the terrorist?
    actualy using troops on the ground in snatch squads

Tougher than you think to "snatch" someone...
  • Options
    I see your point MOK, but if my child was killed by a bomb that was dropped from a plane I'm relatively sure I would try and do something about it. And coupled with that if you have grown up in a country where law is made by the barrel of a gun.

It would make little odds to me if one "terrorist" was killed, what would matter to me would be the death of my child at the hands of the foreign troops.
  • Options
    I see your point MOK, but if my child was killed by a bomb that was dropped from a plane I'm relatively sure I would try and do something about it. And coupled with that if you have grown up in a country where law is made by the barrel of a gun.

It would make little odds to me if one "terrorist" was killed, what would matter to me would be the death of my child at the hands of the foreign troops.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that such incident give a greater ifluence for someone to "join-up". However, the goal is to eradicate terrorism and this cannot be achieved through negotiation alone and force maybe necessary.

When force is necessary then incidents like this will happen.
  • Options
    Oh of course, there is always the risk that accidents will happen, however there is more than a little doubt over how this "war on terror" is being fought.
  • Options
    Oh of course, there is always the risk that accidents will happen, however there is more than a little doubt over how this "war on terror" is being fought.

Mainly from those on the outside, who let's be honest, don't actually understand and aren't informed enough to make the tough decisions.

It's easy for us to sit outside of the loop and criticise, but when you know the full facts things may appear to be more appropriate that first thought.
  • Options
    Please Mok, the supposed insiders have already shown how misinforemd and myopic even they are, and how necessary it has been to resort to lies and media spin to achieve their ends.

No, the truth of the matter doesn't reside with our leaders. They are if anything the ones proving systematically the very folly that they were warned against by the many who stood opposed to their outright militarism from the start.

Of course, you can choose to believe proven liars rather than the rest of us "conspiracy nuts" if it helps you sleep at night. For my part I consider the opposition's stance to have been long vindicated and more so with each passing day.
  • Options
    Actually Clandestine we don't know the full facts for this case, which is what I was actually referring to.

It could be that the man would have killed all of those children himself, as hostages. It could be that the US knew that he was planning a kill even more, and this was their only chance to stop him...

There is so much about this case that neither I nor you will ever know.

Of course, you may find a tenous link which says that Bush personally agree to this "Hit" because he didn't like the children's parents but personally I would rather accept that there are somethings which I will never know, and sometimes I would rather never know.

Misinformed and uninformed objection is just as bad as what the US may be doing. Hell look at the actions of the OSS etc during WW2. Some of those things were extremely unpalatable and if we'd known about them then you can be pretty sure that some people would have objected strongly.
  • Options
    Re: Re: US Army at it again
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    i'd use that word VERY losely mate.

you do know i was being sarcastic in the use of that word right?
  • Options
    Well without going into far-fetched scenarios there is one very simple conclusion we can draw from the US' own statement: The US saw the man running into a house and bombed it from the air.

From that one certain conclusion can be reached: The US did not give a flying toss about so-called collateral damaged and destroyed the house without any regard for who else might be killed in the process.

That is simply unacceptable.

I can reach one other conclusion: if the US surveillance team could see the man running and hiding into a house, they must have also seen the group of children playing next to it. Whether they decided that killing 8 children was a small price to pay or that their bombs would be able to destroy the house while leaving the children uninjured remains to be seen. But either scenario is, again, completely unacceptable.

If some or all of my boys had been killed by a foreign army that clearly doesn't give a fuck about the locals you can bet your arse I'd be taking up arms the second my kids are buried and would make my mission in life to kill as many soldiers as possible. Even if I had been glad to see the Taleban go.
  • Options
    I am most keenly suspicious of the role and activities of the CIA and its former incarnation the OSS throughout the 20th century and up to present. Furthermore, much more is written and reported on the subject and available (online or in print) to those willing to investigate.

Now, as to the issue above, I don't claim to have every shred or detail available from our various agencies according to which decisions are supposedly made.

Nevertheless, bear in mind the facts of the matter in terms of the BIG picture. From the start these invasions and their repercussions have been justified on shaky assertions which systematically have been scrutinised and debunked by many of us out there "on the sidelines" as you would wish to put it.

With each revelation, the administrations on both sides of the Atlantic have danced and spun their reversals and retractions or denials. To wit they demonstrate, by any standard of legitimacy, an all too significant reliance upon an apriori "ideology" and pre-planned agenda to which they have desperately tried to make the "data" conform.

This, backed with such misinformation and outright historical decontextualisation as could be mustered by their corporate media cronies, should leave those with any sense in serious doubt of any further claims eminating from "insiders" (especially Pentagon spokesmen).

Now, you of course may believe what you will as I conceded many times over to you. I, on the other hand see contrivance afoot not only in this instance (i.e. tell the world we were chasing a "terrorist") but in numerous others such as the Turkish bombings which resound with a signature (in principle if not in deed) seen repeatedly in the history of my government's machinations around the globe.

Plausible deniability is ever the shroud in which they cloak themselves and their wrongful acts (easier to scream conspiracy theory at any who take them to task), whilst convincing many like yourself that those they choose to target should be rightfully attacked for similar wrongdoing. Ah the double standard lives on and on and on.
  • Options
    Well without going into far-fetched scenarios there is one very simple conclusion we can draw from the US' own statement: The US saw the man running into a house and bombed it from the air.

From that one certain conclusion can be reached: The US did not give a flying toss about so-called collateral damaged and destroyed the house without any regard for who else might be killed in the process.

That is simply unacceptable.

Which is the point I was trying to make. You do not have the full information and so your conclusion could be seriously flawed. There is a reason that you don't know everything, and that is operational security.

You can be damned sure that no government is going to compromise that just to avoid a backlash on a single incident. Especially when that backlash is coming from people who didn't support them in the first place.

Like it or not, there is a bigger issue than the deaths of eight children. Am I happy that they died - no, but does that mean that I am going to condemn the people who were there - no.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Tougher than you think to "snatch" someone...

Given the apparently crap success rate at killing them from the air with planes and heicopters it is probably relatively likely to succeed........
  • Options
    Not surprising. And precisely why I take comments from our soldiers about having to support flagrant militancy regardless of its illegality in order to qualify as "patriot" with a grain of salt.

Just goes to show what mindset our finest Pentagon training produces.
  • Options
    Oh my fucking god.

What can you say to that? Could that be an isolated incident, or do we think a majority of US soldiers would cheer as well? Because I find it increasingly difficult to find any sympathy whatsoever for what appears to be a force composed in its majority of murdering, racist scumbags.

Is anyone at all surprised that the US soldiers are not welcome or idolised? Frankly I just want to shout 'Vive la Resistance' to the top of my voice.

What chances are of the shooter and his friends being tried for war crimes? :rolleyes: Fucking murdering scum. :mad:

But no doubt certain people will somehow find justification for cold-blooded murder. So much for fucking 'honour'.

I'm sick to my stomach.
  • Options
    ... I find it increasingly difficult to find any sympathy whatsoever for what appears to be a force composed in its majority of murdering, racist scumbags.

Is anyone at all surprised that the US soldiers are not welcome or idolised? Frankly I just want to shout 'Vive la Resistance' to the top of my voice.

What chances are of the shooter and his friends being tried for war crimes? :rolleyes: Fucking murdering scum. :mad:

But no doubt certain people will somehow find justification for cold-blooded murder. So much for fucking 'honour'.

I'm sick to my stomach.
    I believe the way you present the 'shocking' video you have on your website is very irresponsible and inflammatory. The very fact that it is presented without amplifying remarks or background information, coupled with how you use 'execute' to describe the situation, illustrates how naive you are to military operations.

The current policy in Iraq is to SHOOT ON SIGHT ANYBODY emplacing IEDs....yes, those nasty little roadside bombs that have killed almost 200 of our service personnel. But of course, given the very OBVIOUS leftist slant of your website, it is apparent that you wouldn't see fit to report all the facts, choosing instead to attempt to use such media
    to advance your faltering liberal agenda, rather than condemn a terrorist agenda. Where on your website do you report the assassinations by terrorists who only hope to get their country back up and running, or the indiscriminate bombings that kill innocent, non-combatant Iraqis?

Forget the fact that we have build hundreds of schools, enabled democracy, re-energized the Iraqi economy, or that Saddam killed tens of thousands of people (to name a few). According to your website, a day doesn't go by when we aren't killing Afghani children or conspiring with the Israelis to take over the world.
    I cannot believe you want us to believe that the video you show of the US
    Marines killing that man is anything but a propaganda issue? Why didn't you
    include the part where this character was laying in ambush for the Marine
    patrol to wlak by? Why didn't you show the part where he is rigging an
    improvised explosive device to go off the next convoy that drives by it?

Aladdin: "Don't confuse me with the truth! I have my five second sound-bite to justify my delusional prejudices!"

Non-uniformed combatant aka terrorist, armed and engaged in the act of placing an explosive devise, is apprehended. Short battle ensues... Non-uniformed combatant is terminated.

Terminated according to international law.

And those who would have been his target, survive the moment and cheer? Exactly what the bloody fuck would YOU do, if the one who had planned on murdering YOU, had been terminated, instead?

That Aladdin is "sickened" by the termination of a terrorist? Surprises me not the least. I consider the source.
  • Options
    Dear Sir;

I saw both the video on the front page and read the letters from the Marines.

Disgusting.

I too, am recently returned from seven months in Iraq, with a Division Cavalry unit. I see nothing to defend in that video and am glad that you have archived it so that others can see it. As a scout with over twenty years in the Army, mostly in combat units, I would say that what is captured on the video appears to be murder and in violation of the Law
    of Land Warfare.

This is not how warriors behave but how thugs operate. If the Iraqi man was indeed laying in ambush or setting an IED, then it is entirely appropriate to shoot him and to shoot him until he is no longer a threat. Once he ceased combat operations however, it became the soldiers' job to treat him and give him the same aid they would have one of our wounded soldiers receive.

That's how the Law of Land Warfare works.

To use him as a target and appear so joyful about it demonstrates that murder occurred and not combat operations. That is not a reflection of how callous all the soldiers are or what is encouraged or allowed in units. That unit has a problem. Any commander that glosses over that incident is neglecting his duty.

In the opening days of the war, our medics treated many Iraqi casualties, sometimes heroically. That's what you do. Its the law. I have no love lost for Iraqis, especially after watching the ones so happy to get a handout dance so gleefully in soldier's blood.

Our troops killed plenty, engaging in combat actions. My instructions to soldiers on missions almost always included the words - "if at anytime you feel threatened, shoot, shoot first and shoot center mass." But at no time were any of our soldiers instructed, allowed or countenanced to murder an injured person, be he combatant or not. I took pride that my commander insisted we "keep our mean faces on. We are not here to make
    friends" but also insisted on the humane treatment, even recommending our PA for an award solely for working heroically on an Iraqi casualty.

This man had attempted to engage our forces, was shot and shot bad and eventually died. No one was happy that a human died. We understood that if we are to expect to be treated a certain way upon injury or capture, then we must treat the enemy the same way. That's what warriors do.

1SG Perry D. Jefferies <pjefferies@hot.rr.com>
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949.

Art. 3. In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each Party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following provisions:
    (1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.
    To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:
    (a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
    (b) taking of hostages;
    (c) outrages upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment;
    (d) the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgement pronounced by a regularly constituted court, affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.
    (2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for.
    An impartial humanitarian body, such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, may offer its services to the Parties to the conflict.

Of course you didnt bother to post those items. How typical.

Moral of the attitude you regularly display is, don't dare fight back against our foreign aggression or that will make you a terrorist!

Hope you remember to teach your children and grandchildren that in preparation for day when it's our turn to be invaded by the next world power that arises. Wouldn't want them thinking they had a duty to fight back to protect their nation or anything.

Get our boys out of Iraq and there wont be any need to try justifying murder on such flimsy pretexts in the first place.