Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

angela cannings wins appeal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm reserving judgement, but personally I would rather have these cases investigated by medics rather than the police and lawyers.

Physical abuse is different and is usually easily recognised, SIDS and multiple SIDS should be a medical issue
    The problem with cot death is that is not well understood and previous perceptions of the condition are proving to be inaccurate.

The much quoted report, for instance, that the chances that 2 of your children might die of cot death are 1 in several billion is now thought to be profoundly flawed. I don't have a link but I heard on the news the other day that a more realistic figure would 1 in 64.

Yet it is because of this report that several women have been convicted of murder over the years.

Of course there is the possibility that some of those women might have abused or murdered their children after all. But unless there is evidence you cannot reach a guilty verdict on a 1 in 64 gamble.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I'm reserving judgement, but personally I would rather have these cases investigated by medics

Who, maybe Roy Meadow, a man who should be in jail IMHO.
    As I was explaining to someone at work who thinks she "should have been strung up" its not a matter of whether she is innocent. Its a matter of whether there is enough doubt, for her to be guilty it has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and I really dont think it was done so in this case.

There is a big grey area in our law between innocent and guilty.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    someone at work who thinks she "should have been strung up"

That is why anyone who thinks that "the people" should be judges is a moron.
    Exactly, same as democracy its too important to be left in the hands of ordinary people.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Who, maybe Roy Meadow, a man who should be in jail IMHO.

No because we are talking about a panel of medics, rather than just one illinformed one who uses statistics rather than looking at individual cases.

What Aladdin brought up was an annomaly which Roy missed. He said that the statisical probability of three cot deaths was x, but missed that the propability of three murders was even more remote.

The panel should include a paediatrican (asuming that the lynch mob hasn't got to them first), a paediatic pathologist, GP and Social Services and the Police (for investigative powers) - only after they come to a conclusion should the courts be involved. The investigation should start as immediately that the second death occurred - in part to give some comfort to the parents through ruling out any errors on their part which is what they would be most concerned about - "is this my fault?"
    Having had a cot death baby myself I can imagine how this woman must be feeling.
    When you put your perfectly healthy baby to bed and wake up in the morning sensing something is not right, its a nightmare.

Now what strikes me about these cases of women getting sent to prison is the fact that when a baby dies like this the police take everything away (in my case they did anyway), now surely if they did all the tests, the coroner cant find a reason for death then surely she is innocent ? If the baby was suffocated or harmed before death they would know, surely ?

Now she is free I hope she takes them to the cleaners for wrecking her life, if it wasnt so traumatic losing her children she then gets sent to prison for it.
    I dont beleive for one minuite that she had anything to do with their death, I beleive the babies died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    No because we are talking about a panel of medics, rather than just one illinformed one who uses statistics rather than looking at individual cases.

It wasnt just M**dow who had the same ill-informed opinion, as well you know.

SIDS is a serious problem, but what scares me is that if Singh hadnt had her grandma then shed be in jail too, and wed be none the wiser.

Im sorry, but I simply do not trust the medical profession, and anyone who reads the case file for the Thalidomide babies and still trusts them is far more naive than I will ever be.