Home Drink & Drugs
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I didnt think I'd come accross it...

You dont think you'll come accross this type of thing but a close mate of mine nearly had someone die in their lounge the other day from a heroin overdose.

I mean, I just never thought I'd have any dealings with that sort of thing and its shaken my mate up quite a bit.

I've done some dangerous things and put myself in A&E on a serious OD but, well I'd always thought of heroin as a class above that people like me never went near.

I know that sounds really blinkered, but, its just none of my mates would really go near it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: I didnt think I'd come accross it...
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You dont think you'll come accross this type of thing but a close mate of mine nearly had someone die in their lounge the other day from a heroin overdose.

    I mean, I just never thought I'd have any dealings with that sort of thing and its shaken my mate up quite a bit.

    I've done some dangerous things and put myself in A&E on a serious OD but, well I'd always thought of heroin as a class above that people like me never went near.

    I know that sounds really blinkered, but, its just none of my mates would really go near it.
    scary ...i refuse to let anyone in my home who has heroin in them or on them ...from past experience.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would be very wary myself about letting anyone who I knew to be using junk near my flat. But, well I think my mate thought he had a hold on it, he was an addict and now was supposed to be only using it a little.
    But well if that doesnt sound like a dodgy line I dont know what does. To me it sounds like the blokes tolerance has gone down a bit, he smokes the usual and then fucks up.

    My mate does tend to hang around with a few dodgy people, but they've always been just human freaks not junkies, thats different. As Hunter S Thompson says;

    "You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug"
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    from personal experience i know ...as a junkie your first loyalty is to your addiction. never trust a smack head.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A dealer I know had his car got broken into after a smack head moved onto his street. He knocked on his door and twatted him. When I asked him he'd seen him do it he said it didn't matter.

    Like you said, not to be trusted, ever. I just wish the one's who want help could be treated properly by the NHS.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Andy_Booth

    Like you said, not to be trusted, ever. I just wish the one's who want help could be treated properly by the NHS.
    if addiction was treated as a medical condition they could prescribe it ...nice clean gear ...no need for crime. everyone happy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly my point. It is done in certain areas. Saw a programme on it once and it makes perfect sense, in fact so much sense it's annoying.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree, but think of the outcry from the public. So many people would be concerned that by doing that the government would be saying 'its ok to go out and do heroin, we'll look after you when it goes pear shaped' a lot of people see in black and white, and thats why such measures although definately worth a try, would be such hard work to make possible. Because at the end of the day, (and call me sceptical if you want) all the leading party wants is to be re-elected. And they fear that it will not happen if they give heroine users the help for their illness that they need. Many of the public fear drug users, heroine users especially and theyd be much happier seeing them off the street, in jail or even dead than walking around, living the life they deserve and having access to clean drugs to help them trough their addiction.

    Its my view that its the fault of society as a whole that people turn to drugs, have access to drugs and get hooked on drugs - therefore its the duty of society as a whole to help addicts through their illness.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course lil-minx, but obviously you have to put some of the blame on the individual, granted social factors play a role, but it does come down to choice, at least for the first few hits anyway.

    If the public doesnt like the idea of addicts wandering around the streets then maybe secure de-tox centers would be the answer. Then help for the addicts when they came out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda thats true, and im not trying to victimise addicts because it comes down to choice but maybe aducation plays a part in their choice? Obviously this is not always the case because ive found that addicts seem to be very hard willed and would have, i think, done whatever they wanted regardless of society.

    I think thats a very good idea BB
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Certainly education does play a big role, I always thought it was rubbish but I have heard some serious reports a while ago of junk being sold as just hash.

    Now to anyone with a decent knowledge this seems quite stupid, but if no-ones told you, how can you know. And with junk being so cheap now I can see this happening more and more often.

    As I've said before I think the government will end up moving further down the treatment route than many voters would like, but wont broadcast it, the reason being its just cheaper than locking people up. And these things always come down to the bottom line.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I agree, but think of the outcry from the public. So many people would be concerned that by doing that the government would be saying 'its ok to go out and do heroin, we'll look after you when it goes pear shaped' a lot of people see in black and white, and thats why such measures although definately worth a try, would be such hard work to make possible. Because at the end of the day, (and call me sceptical if you want) all the leading party wants is to be re-elected. And they fear that it will not happen if they give heroine users the help for their illness that they need. Many of the public fear drug users, heroine users especially and theyd be much happier seeing them off the street, in jail or even dead than walking around, living the life they deserve and having access to clean drugs to help them trough their addiction.

    Its my view that its the fault of society as a whole that people turn to drugs, have access to drugs and get hooked on drugs - therefore its the duty of society as a whole to help addicts through their illness.
    heroin addiction doesn't realy go pear shaped ...your life does.
    but ...in the sixties heroin was still prescribed as it had always been for those addicted. those addicted ...the worst proffesion for heroin addiction is the medical proffession. has been for a hundred years and more. pharmasists come next or used to.
    in the sixties most of the people being prescribed for their habiots were ...from the lower middle classes to the rock and roll stars and politicians ...it just wasn't seen as bad ...as criminal.
    a new government came to power in 1970?????? ...and against all the expert advice ...the woodroof report being the ultimate government one ...they made prescibinbg of heroin illegal. america had a problem ...europe had a growing one ...the uk was fine. they made it illegal ...it all fell apart.
    lets get something clear ...if you are addicted to heroin ...like many public and responsible people have been and are ...it doesn't turn you into a jekyl and hyde monster.
    you work for a living. the scary thing about being addicted to something is ...the supply being illegal. it makes a normal life i,mpossible.
    the west are addicted to oil ...they fear it not being available.
    the starving well they are addicted to food and fear ...it not being available.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you for full legalisation then morrocan? I'm not sure thats such a good idea, I do think use would go up if we did that and that would result in more deaths.

    I am in favor however of much more prescribing by doctors, but not just maintaining the habit for ever, trying to help people off, but thats not just a chemical thing, you need to help them with their whole life too. 'Joined up thinking' to use a terrible buzz-phrase.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    heroin addiction doesn't realy go pear shaped ...your life does.
    but ...in the sixties heroin was still prescribed as it had always been for those addicted. those addicted ...the worst proffesion for heroin addiction is the medical proffession. has been for a hundred years and more. pharmasists come next or used to.
    in the sixties most of the people being prescribed for their habiots were ...from the lower middle classes to the rock and roll stars and politicians ...it just wasn't seen as bad ...as criminal.
    a new government came to power in 1970?????? ...and against all the expert advice ...the woodroof report being the ultimate government one ...they made prescibinbg of heroin illegal. america had a problem ...europe had a growing one ...the uk was fine. they made it illegal ...it all fell apart.
    lets get something clear ...if you are addicted to heroin ...like many public and responsible people have been and are ...it doesn't turn you into a jekyl and hyde monster.
    you work for a living. the scary thing about being addicted to something is ...the supply being illegal. it makes a normal life i,mpossible.
    the west are addicted to oil ...they fear it not being available.
    the starving well they are addicted to food and fear ...it not being available.

    oh dont get me wrong i wasnt saying it goes pear shaped - was sort of saying what the general public might say.

    i have a friend, hes 35 now, first did heroine when he was 20 i think he (god im terrible at remembering details about people!!) anyway he was very addicted.. now hes as healthy as everything. There are no signs what so ever that hes been addicted to the stuff hes healthy and happy, married etc...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Are you for full legalisation then morrocan?
    i am for total control of substances that are enjoyed and/or missused by the general public. making something like drugs illegal is to my mind relinquishing all control. all responsibility to your people ...your nieghbours. illegal makes to many decent but chemicaly using people into criminals. it also hands you over to criminals ...your health, your safety ...your standing in the comunity etc.
    i don't proffess to have the all the answers. illegal has totaly failed ...we have to move on. we have to get daring, brave, experimental and fucking radical. lets see what happens. it can't be worse than the phoney and failed war on drugs.
    YOU ...know the war on drugs is an expensive and pathetic joke.
    lets be brave and move on ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just feel that maintaining some element of control of the supply would be a good idea. If it was available widely through prescription the black market would really dry up, and because doctors would be giving it out they could also do things like needles, education etc.

    But as we have said before, with heroin there are easier answers, I really have no idea what to do about the coke problem.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I just feel that maintaining some element of control of the supply would be a good idea. If it was available widely through prescription the black market would really dry up, and because doctors would be giving it out they could also do things like needles, education etc.

    But as we have said before, with heroin there are easier answers, I really have no idea what to do about the coke problem.
    in edwardian times coke was the drug of choice for the upper classes with more watered down tonics and elixers containg coke for the lower classes ...it was perfectly legal ...there was no problem.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There would be no way to introduce cocaine onto the open market here without it turning into a national disaster. There is no end to a cocaine habit, if it was cheaper then the users would just use way more, leading to monumental health problems.

    Oral cocaine is next to useless really, apart from being a mild tonic, in the old sense of the word. A modern cocaine user would never eat it, even if the price was next to nothing.

    I understand your point about the illegality causing problems, but I dont think the example applies here. With heroin, yes, somewhat, but with cocaine, its different.

    We need good residential treatment centers for cocaine users, and much more research done into chemical treatments, of which there are next to none.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    There would be no way to introduce cocaine onto the open market here without it turning into a national disaster. There is no end to a cocaine habit, if it was cheaper then the users would just use way more, leading to monumental health problems.

    Oral cocaine is next to useless really, apart from being a mild tonic, in the old sense of the word. A modern cocaine user would never eat it, even if the price was next to nothing.

    I understand your point about the illegality causing problems, but I dont think the example applies here. With heroin, yes, somewhat, but with cocaine, its different.

    We need good residential treatment centers for cocaine users, and much more research done into chemical treatments, of which there are next to none.
    all these fucking spaniards you throw in the works bong ...are very valid. it is a very difficult problem for anyone to get their heads round. there realy is no easy solution.
    but ...a respectable law abiding citezen should not have to face a criminal record or even imprisonment for his choice of self medication.
    maybe throwing people in jail who have over an ounce ...everyone else ...leave them alone!
Sign In or Register to comment.