Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

two-faced PM

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how long do people have to buy into this man's shit, wen he visits the north he says his favourite food is fish and chips, down south he says pasta, he walks around in t-shirts pretending to be with it, pretending to be compassionate, it really angers me when he's trying to defend his policies, take tuition fees fo an example, its his fault so many people go to university, what use is a degree in golf managment to anyone, now he goes on to say we need to pay, he truly has destroyed a good party

Comments

• Options
    Re: two-faced PM
    Originally posted by turlough
    how long do people have to buy into this man's shit, wen he visits the north he says his favourite food is fish and chips, down south he says pasta, he walks around in t-shirts pretending to be with it, pretending to be compassionate, it really angers me when he's trying to defend his policies, take tuition fees fo an example, its his fault so many people go to university, what use is a degree in golf managment to anyone, now he goes on to say we need to pay, he truly has destroyed a good party
    just like all those before him and more so all those who will follow
    in his footsteps.
    it's always like this isn't it? or have i missed a prime ministr somwhere along the way who was sweetness and light ...who pleased all of the people all of the time ...who cared about YOU ...
    who made and kept promises ...go on ...name the one i have missed.
  • Options
    magaret tha.... i think i would be murdered alive if i finished that name
  • Options
    Yeah you would be lynched. She was obviously considered a good PM at the time (never lost an election), but with hindsight you have to wonder why anyone bought her lies!
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Yeah you would be lynched. She was obviously considered a good PM at the time (never lost an election), but with hindsight you have to wonder why anyone bought her lies!

the novelty of a woman PM?

imo anyway! but i cant really talk as i wasnt around much in those days
  • Options
    LMAO! you could have been sectioned under the mental health act if you'd completed that sentence!
  • Options
    Well there is serious talk that if Blair loses his top-up fee bill he will step down. And there is a real possibility he might lose the vote. It is not mathematically impossible. Some 150 Labour MPs have already said they'll vote against. All the newspapers are bubbling with rumours and expectation not unlike that seen on the last few weeks of IDS' leadership of the Tories.

So who knows? In five weeks' time or so we could have a new Prime Minister. And if Bush gets then kicked out in November, the world would be a so much safer and better place to be!

Suddenly there is hope.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo

She never lied. She was always quite honest about what her aims were.

And, to be honest, if youd have had to live through three-day weeks, the fuel crisis, TV off at 10pm because there was no energy, grave-diggers refusing to bury the dead unless they got huge pay rises, youd be sick of the militant vermin of the trade unions too.

Thatcher was popular and Thatcher did a lot of good...even now that really HURTS the lefties.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So who knows? In five weeks' time or so we could have a new Prime Minister. And if Bush gets then kicked out in November, the world would be a so much safer and better place to be!

Suddenly there is hope.
    I can see the campaign slogan now... Vote Gordon. Brown knows. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Thatcher was popular and Thatcher did a lot of good...even now that really HURTS the lefties.
    Funny that, I dont think ive met very many people who liked her. Kermit can you even remember her being in power?
    One of the reasons she got in was due to not having proportional representation at elections till recently.
  • Options
    She never lied. She was always quite honest about what her aims were.

And, to be honest, if youd have had to live through three-day weeks, the fuel crisis, TV off at 10pm because there was no energy, grave-diggers refusing to bury the dead unless they got huge pay rises, youd be sick of the militant vermin of the trade unions too.

I'm just old enough to remember some of that. Are you?
    Thatcher was popular and Thatcher did a lot of good

Like what?
  • Options
    like the Poll Tax! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And let's not forget:

- destruction of workers rights (it might have been true that the unions had too much power before Thatcher won office, but thanks to the witch unions and workers were left with no power or rights whatsoever).

- massive increase in poverty levels (when Thatcher went into office child poverty was at 16%. When she left was 33%. Prosperity my fucking arse).

- a disgusting culture of absolute greed and free market fundamentalism. Which further contributed to a widening gap between a very few who got obscenely rich and the great majority of the population who got much poorer.

- a general ultra-right wing fascist racist religious fundamentalist style of government that included support for the Apartheid and brutal fascist dictators or the persecution of single mothers.

Can someone actually point out anything at all good that the evil milk snatcher ever did for this country?
  • Options
    Can someone actually point out anything at all good that the evil milk snatcher ever did for this country?

Well considering my background I probably should hate her as she started the decline in traditional northern industry if you know what I mean, and it hurt my family. However over twenty years later most of the old factorys, docks, old mills etc have been demolished and replaced with modern industries of which I have benefited.

It wasn't easy but I believe it was necessary.
  • Options

Yes, what you see as a destruction of workers rights, I see as a reduction in Union power.

The two aren't necessarily the same.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Yes, what you see as a destruction of workers rights, I see as a reduction in Union power.

The old Unions were very powerfull and very corrupt. The man who led the Liverpool dockers strike was working with the government ffs.
  • Options
    Which Liverpool dockers strike? The one in the mid 90's? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Well you see, I did acknowledge that the unions had too much power. But what she did was to take it to the other extreme and leave workers with fewer rights than a Guantanamo prisoner. There certinaly was no need of that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Well considering my background I probably should hate her as she started the decline in traditional northern industry if you know what I mean, and it hurt my family. However over twenty years later most of the old factorys, docks, old mills etc have been demolished and replaced with modern industries of which I have benefited.

It wasn't easy but I believe it was necessary.

She may have precided over some of this decline but it was not her fault, it was pretty much inevitable and as you say in the long-run new jobs do come along though more could be done to encourage prosperity in some of the former mfg based areas..........
  • Options
    But what she did was to take it to the other extreme and leave workers with fewer rights than a Guantanamo prisoner. There certinaly was no need of that.

No, she stopped the excesses of trade unionism- she stopped sympathy walkouts, she stopped the trades union having a hotline to the Government and she stopped the country being held to ransom by militant vermin.

Not burying the dead for a 20% pay rise, like happened in Liverpool- she stopped that. Three-day weeks- she stopped that. Print workers practically burning down Wapping- she stopped that (even though Murdoch deserved it, the East End properties didnt).

You see, removal of trade union power doesnt mean removal of workers rights. My father, for instance, works in an non-union shop, and his collective bargaining abilities are fine, thank you.

Oh, and Rainbow Brite, about proportional representation- Thatcher had a smaller majority with more votes in her favour than Blair has, and I dont recall you saying that Blair has no popular mandate. I must have missed it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    She may have precided over some of this decline but it was not her fault

Exactly. Our Thatcher-hating chums are strangely quiet about how Frances employment market collapsed during the 1980s too, and that was under a Soclialist Mitterrand government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Which Liverpool dockers strike? The one in the mid 90's? :confused:

I think it was in the 80s, I don't know a lot about this, can't even remember the blokes name.
  • Options
    So how do you know thats what happened then?
  • Options

It is what happened. I cant remember his name either, or why it happened, just that it did.

It wasnt an isolated incident either, particularly during the Callaghan government.
  • Options

Just a well known fact.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Just a well known fact.

Not to me it isn't.
  • Options
    It is what happened. I cant remember his name either, or why it happened, just that it did.

It wasnt an isolated incident either, particularly during the Callaghan government.

I'm not disbelieving you, I'd like to know more. Got any details or links?
  • Options
    I'm not disbelieving you, I'd like to know more. Got any details or links?

Not to hand, but Ive read it in more than one academic journal when talking about the Callaghan premiership.
  • Options
    Elected King’s divine rights.
    I’m talking about the rights to rob, to enslave, to murder that have been handed to the Great Defender of Liberty and Human Rights Tony the BLier by the delighted public.
    And about consequences of pop-wisdom. ( that is the finest blossom of state-owned education and state-controlled media)
    Do you have any statistics? I think it would be quite interesting to glance at.
    As:
    How much money His Bastardness has stolen and transferred to His favourite interest groups during his reign? ( billions and billions of course.
    but more specific?)
    How many human beings were enslaved ( jailed) not for crimes but just because His Great and Wise Self finds some things to be unaesthetical if they belong to His stupid subjects not to His Loyal Guard? ( bad substances, bad grass ,bad pictures, bad mechanical devices ( with bad bullets and bad blades), bad fridges, bad food, bad plants, bad internet sites so on ad infinitum)
    How many Iraqis were killed by His ( not HER!!!) Air Forces during 13 years of the war? (If any statistics comparing those black arsed cubs with human children exists).
    PS don’t blame me in anti-Albionism please. I can say the same ( and much more!) about the government of my native country.