Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

British Justice System, you done it again..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is it with our so called justice system? A drunk driver run over and killed a dad of 1 and didn't even stop to see if he was ok and she only gets a £150 fine! You get a bigger fine for drining while using a moblie.

That kiddie fidler last month(?) was let off at first and told he was no danger to children or something or other. What's that all about?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unbelievable and it's not the first time, all these drunk drivers get away with killing people, a manslaughter charge is more appropriate any driver who does this should get at least 15 years.
    Do you have a link to the drunk-driving thing Felix?
    Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    What is it with our so called justice system? A drunk driver run over and killed a dad of 1 and didn't even stop to see if he was ok and she only gets a £150 fine!
    Given that a relative of mine was recently fined nearly twice that amount and banned for over a year, just for driving while over the limit (the police followed her back to her house, so they weren't worried about her running anyone over in the meantime, even though she must have been driving in a way which attracted their attention - tough luck, because I think she drives that way stone cold sober), I'd like to know if that £150 fine was the only punishment?
    Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    What is it with our so called justice system?

The thing thats 'up' with our system is that we have not got a decent Justice system. Too many do gooders saying "oh they can be reformed".

Ive said many times the system stinks and needs to be sorted. What they need are normal everyday members of the public into office for the day and let us tell them where they are going wrong.
    What i have to laugh about is the fact that the 'normal,average' person think what that woman got was pathetic, so why dont the courts ?
    How can they justify giving a drink driver who runs over someone and kills someone, she didnt stop and she gets £150 fine. I dont think anybody could justify this at all, once anyone takes a drink and then gets into a car then as far as im concerned they are handling a lethal weapon, so when they are caught treat them very severely. What signal does that give out to other people ? To me it says 'drink driving is ok, when you kill someone you will only get a little slap on the hand and a £150 fine'.
    Re: Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The thing thats 'up' with our system is that we have not got a decent Justice system. Too many do gooders saying "oh they can be reformed".

So people aren't capable of redemption?
    Re: Re: Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So people aren't capable of redemption?

I didnt say that.

But lets get back to the £150 fine for killing someone while under the influence of alcohol and if thats not bad enough they leave the scene of an accident (which is a serious offence anyway).

What do you think was going through the head of a judge who can warrant this ludicrous £150 fine for what this woman did ? You tell me why you think they came up with this sentence ? When you give me a good enough reason then I may think that the judge was not a 'do gooder'.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    I didnt say that.

You very strongly implied it with your comment about "do gooders" and reform (what is a "do gooder btw? :confused: ).
    But lets get back to the £150 fine for killing someone while under the influence of alcohol and if thats not bad enough they leave the scene of an accident (which is a serious offence anyway).

What do you think was going through the head of a judge who can warrant this ludicrous £150 fine for what this woman did ? You tell me why you think they came up with this sentence ? When you give me a good enough reason then I may think that the judge was not a 'do gooder'.

I agree, that is ridiculous.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: British Justice System, you done it again..
    You very strongly implied it with your comment about "do gooders" and reform (what is a "do gooder btw? :confused: ).

The way i meant it on this occasion is that the judge has a case infront of him. The womans lawyer will have fed the judge with loads of crap to get her off the hook. The judge then 'thinks' oh this poor woman has had a tough life, she cant take no more. Lets just tap her hand and give her £150 fine, she can be reformed, I am 100% sure she wont drink and drive again, she didnt mean to kill him, it was an accident all of these things is what I think got her that fine.
    To me he is helping her out, he is being Mr Nice Guy, but what about the victim ? the victims family ? This judge (or judges who dish out the same crap) are just 'do gooders' IMO.
    Maybe there were mitigating circumstances, I don't know, I haven't the details. But the term "do gooder" seems to be a meaningless emotionally loaded term, used by the likes of the Daily Mail when whinging about "liberals" and the permissive society.
    Maybe there were mitigating circumstances,

Regardless of any mitigating circumstances, in this case a drunk driver knocked someone over and killed them, then left the scene. I dont care what mitigating circumstances there were, a fine of £150 is taking the piss (which yeah i know you said you didnt agree with the decision).

Oh I read the Sun not the Daily Mail ;)
    In any case the fault would lie with the judge in question, not the system. The system allows for lengthy custodial sentences. Why the offender escaped with only a fine is a question the judge alone can answer.
    Maybe there were mitigating circumstances, I don't know, I haven't the details. But the term "do gooder" seems to be a meaningless emotionally loaded term, used by the likes of the Daily Mail when whinging about "liberals" and the permissive society.

Oh yeah I'm sure there was 'mitigating circumstances! :rolleyes:

Just found this

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/crimedebate/story/0,12079,953595,00.html

hmmm..
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    In any case the fault would lie with the judge in question, not the system.

The system must have some part on this. If sentences like this are being given then there needs to be something in place to stop it happening again. If this judge is dishing out silly fines for this type of offence then he needs to be challenged by his superiors and be made aware that for this type of offence he cannot just give a £150 fine.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Oh yeah I'm sure there was 'mitigating circumstances! :rolleyes:

If you read my post properly, I said "maybe" and "I don't know, I haven't the details". :rolleyes:
    It is possible to change the sentence given, although it doesn't happen often. The last case I remember was that scumbag who raped a very young child. The judge only gave him 3 years and it think it was the Home Secretary who stepped in and increased the sentence.

But this only tends to happen with high profile cases though...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But this only tends to happen with high profile cases though...

which proves the system has got it all wrong. It needs to be reviewed and tougher guidelines laid down and the Judges must be made to follow the guidelines, if not they say bye bye.
    the cigarette in my hand can have me put in jail! i have smoked this stuff for over 30yrs ...so i can kill someone tonight and get a small fine but ...if the medicine police come round i can be thrown in jail for sitting at my comptor talking to you lot with a fag in my hand. how can i be seen as big a threat as that then? justice ...just a word.
    The woman should have been thrown in prison.

She had no real mitigating circumstances, she was in a pub, she got pissed and drove home. I challenge anyone to mitigate that.

Drink drivers and arseholes who can't drive should be thrown in prison.
    Does anyone know if she received other additional penalties then, like a fine, or does that not really matter?
    Do you have a link to the drunk-driving thing Felix?

No I don't. You might be able to find it in www.thesun.co.uk - I read it in the paper the other day.

I'm not sure but you may be able to find it at:

www.sky.com/skynews/home
    http://news.bbc.co.uk
    I dont know the facts, so to make a value judgement on this case is pointless without them. Anyone who does is simple in the extreme.

But on a more theoretical issue, people dont quite seem to understand the legal system enough. "Common people" could NOT become judges in the Crown Court without the experience that comes from being on the Bar for decades- the law evolves, it is not set in stone, and you have to know how to justify decisions legally, and that is not always easy. Take murder, for instance- murder is not actually a statutory offence, but it is rather a common law offence. And as any fule kno, the common law is based on the principle of precedent. Most people dont know this precedent.

Judging is not a piece of cake. And not something to be taken lightly.