Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Full ban on smoking?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The addiction already has control, it tells me when to light up basically, when I get stressed out I need more, when im busy doing something its not as bad.
    imagine being that stressed without your poison ...and it's illegal.
    when your poison is legal you can get on with your life ...when it's illegal you have to go down side streets that you didn't have to before ...not me, what am i doing? the shittier it gets the more desperate you tend to become and your addiction is greater ...cos of the stress.
    if they made it illegal tommorow i'd bet smoking was still with us for another couple of generations ...or more. lots of places in the world will still be smoking it legally ...no shortage of the stuff.
  • Options
    Byny that bullshit. If smoking was that easy to quit do you think i would sit here and waste my money ? Would I have candles burning in my house day and night to get rid of that stale smoke smell ?
    Smoking is not easy to stop and I applaud anyone who can, they deserve a pat on the back. But as I say just because you found it easy to stop dont try to make everyone think we will all find it that easy.

Believe me!! Buy Allan Carrs book.......but you won't , you are too scared to buy it, and even if you do you will put off reading it because deep down you don't want to know the truth. Actually - you really do know the truth but you know that you don't want to give up really. Honest...its true...I know....

I have made many attempts to give up but they were all piss poor 'will power alone' attempts because I knew that deep down I didn't want to.....I knew because I kept turning over the ads with the smoke coming out of kids noses and the man with lung cancer....I knew the reality but I closed my mind...I chose to close my mind as do all smokers until they are REALLY prepared to give up.

The other thing....you are not making a sacrifice or doing without or denying yourself a pleasure when you give up....what are you denying yourself? The opportunity to breath poison into your lungs and die prematurely ? hooray!

Believe me...if you buy the book and read it I fail to see why you won't give up....but you won't buy the book becuae you are scared!!

Although
    there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker so I'll shut up now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    but you won't buy the book becuae you are scared!!

you've scared me ...i might buy the book.
  • Options
    Byny I know about giving up smoking and I know that to pack in smoking you need to be in the right frame of mind to do it. When you quit something inside your head said "now you will do it", it may sound stupid to some people but that is what happens. I packed in for about 3 years ago, then stupidly when pissed lit up and was back on them again. When I initially packed in i just announced "im packing in smoking" and did it (with the help of patches).
    I have tried again now some 7 years or whatever later and find that I cant bear the patches on my arms as they are very irritable.

For me although I 'feel' I need to give up smoking, Im totally in the wrong frame of mind to sucseed.
    As for Allan Carr im being serious when I say I aint never heard of him, what his book entails I have no idea. but Allan Carr is not gonna make me quit, I will do it for myself, like you did although you may have help from this book, I dont really know.

and what am I scared of ? seeing as you seem to know so much about how I am feeling :D

oh yeah, you cant half tell your a reformed smoker, they are normally worse than someone who has never smoked ;)
  • Options
    OK - you asked....

firstly...patches don't work...obviously.
    if they worked you wouoldn't be smoking now....right?
    even if they worked for the time you wore them ...they don't work permanently do they?

Why replace one Craving for another.

secondly...when you are not smoking you are a non smoker. Being a non smoker (depriving yourself of fags) does not make you want nicotine more...in fact it is only the one fag you have when you give in to the 'craving' that makes you want more...when you sleep (Without patches) you don't wake up wanting a fag...so how can the 'craving' be that strong..

Thirdly....You don't smoke to make yourself feel more relaxed!! the anxiety does not come from not having a fag, it comes from HAVING the fag!

Allen Carr WILL make you quit if you read the book, follow all the instructions and really try to understand the futility of smoking.

Imagine this...
    " I have an idea to make loads of money, well its not my idea but its been proved a million times over...All we do is grow this special plant. We dry the leaves in the sun, shred them and add chemicals to make them burn easier. It doesn't matter that they taste foul. We then roll them into little tubes of paper and put them into attractive boxes...infact, no, we can put them into packages with warnings about death and abnormality..it won't matter...Anyway...then we get people to put them in their mouths and set them alight...it has to be your mouth, not your ear or backside because you need to breathe the fumes into your lungs, it may not sound pleasant...well it isn't, not to begin with..in fact many people find it so foul they can't cope with it. However - providing they have the WILLPOWER to perservere, their bodies become immune to the poisons and they actually start to believe they enjoy it! The important point is that they can't stop. Some have to have 2 or 3 packets a day, every day for the rest of their lives and no matter how much they loathe it they have to keep doing it. Some people would rather lose their legs than stop!!

AND - there are absolutely no health benefits..none at all!! As a matter of fact it kills one in four. As soon as they start they become more lethatgic, short of breath and less resistent to other diseases. The beauty is the more it drags them down the more they believe that it helps them...I guess you are assuming that to sell this product we have to launch a massive campaign to convince people its good for them but NO!! In fact the government will insist we put health warnings on the packets advising users it will kill them!! But believe me - it'll sell"

SOME PEOPLE CLAIM THEY ENJOY SMOKING...'DO YOU ENCOURAGE YOUR CHILDREN TO SMOKE'

WHY NOT?

Do you want them to have the choice...yes of course...but still...would you encourage them to smoke...why not???

You have a fear of failure...you also have a fear of success!!!...the only thing that will remove the fear of making an attempt is to make it! The truth is you have nothing to lose.
    The worst thing that could happen is that you fail but think of the advantages you have to gain! If you don't make the attempt you guarantee failure.

THE FEAR OF SUCCESS - When smokers try to stop they imagine that they are deliberately putting themselves into a bog that drags them further down...the reality is you are already in the bog...you need to climb out!!

You didn't need cigarettes before you became addicted to nicoine...absolutely nothing can prevent your escape!!

Apologies for the reformed smoker thing, and really I should just shut up...but you asked...

REALLY BUY THE BOOK - It is only fear that stops you!!
  • Options

firstly...patches don't work...obviously.
    if they worked you wouoldn't be smoking now....right?
    even if they worked for the time you wore them ...they don't work permanently do they?

REALLY BUY THE BOOK - It is only fear that stops you!! [/B]

Patches did work the 1st time for me. One day I bought them and did not touch another fag until approx 3 years later whilst on holiday, when I stupidly got drunk, which I had on many previous occasions before this. The first time I packed in I only used one patch and made it through the day and didnt need to use on the following day. But again it was timing, I was at that stage in my life where I was gonna quit and I did.
    Patches come in different strengths and I different time spans, so all someone would do is change the patch before they go to bed then the nicotine is getting through to them in the morning when they wake up.
    Why when I get stressed does a fag calm me ? your saying it doesent work like this. But if im megga stressed then I have a fag and it does calm me. If i didnt have a fag id probably chuck something instead.

But yes I will get the book and if it it makes me quit then I gotta come back here and say Thank You, if it dont make me stop then you know what you gotta do.......dont ya ;)
    Seriously im open minded, I will try things and this 'could' work for me, hopefully it will :)
  • Options
    Patches did work the 1st time for me. One day I bought them and did not touch another fag until approx 3 years later whilst on holiday, when I stupidly got drunk, which I had on many previous occasions before this. The first time I packed in I only used one patch and made it through the day and didnt need to use on the following day. But again it was timing, I was at that stage in my life where I was gonna quit and I did.
    Patches come in different strengths and I different time spans, so all someone would do is change the patch before they go to bed then the nicotine is getting through to them in the morning when they wake up.
    Why when I get stressed does a fag calm me ? your saying it doesent work like this. But if im megga stressed then I have a fag and it does calm me. If i didnt have a fag id probably chuck something instead.

But yes I will get the book and if it it makes me quit then I gotta come back here and say Thank You, if it dont make me stop then you know what you gotta do.......dont ya ;)
    Seriously im open minded, I will try things and this 'could' work for me, hopefully it will :)
    [/QUOTE

Hey ... If I ever start smoking again you can throw all this and Allen Carr back in my face!! :D

Seriously though - how can you say patches worked if you started smoking again? If you went without fags for so long then surely you were no longer physically addicted to the nicotine so what made you put that one fag back in your mouth? I bet you had friends saying 'go on becky have one' thats what smokers do - when they see that you might actually stop they freak out and try to encourage you to smoke again because they don't want to be the remaining failure...yet as soon as you start again there they are, moaning about how much they hate smoking again and if only they can stop!!

If smoking helps beat stress why do you smoke when you are absolutely relaxed and having a great time?
  • Options
    patches worked because after smoking for all those years I used a patch and didnt have another fag for approx 3 years. It was just me and Hubby on holiday and he was trying to stop me lighting up. But when someones had a drink its a pointless excersise. I said "oh I will only have this while having a drink", wrong move because i was back on them.
    I suppose its like any addiction, once you have had an addiction theres a chance you can start again, which I did.

Smoking is a habit, and i suppose the habit needs to be broken like any other habit. Why a smoke calms me dow ? I dont know why, all I do know is that it works for me :confused:
  • Options
    And the biggest cop out of all...

ITS A HABIT

With this one smokers don't get trapped into the pitfalls of having to explain their arguments. Its almost as if its no longer their problem: Its just a habit thats impossible to break, what can they do about it?

Along with "I do enjoy a cigarette'

The belief that smoking is a habit is the illusion that smokers find most difficult to shatter. They might well believe that it is an addiction but they ALSO think it is a habit.

SMOKING IS NOT A HABIT...

Why do we scratch an Itch?....

Because it relieves the itch

how does it relieve the itch?

by creating a greater pain that takes your mind off the itch

Why on earth would you want a greater pain, and since the greater pain doesn't actually cure the itch, but really just distracts your mind, the itch would still remain once the greater pain had subsided...so why scratch an itch?

I DON'T KNOW!!

Smoking the first cigarette creates the nicotine itch and each subsequent cigarette makes it bigger and bigger and bigger.....

:D (Allen Carr - he has an answer for everything bless him)
  • Options
    And the biggest cop out of all...

ITS A HABIT

eerrrr yeah :nervous:

I dont like you when you shout :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Smoking isnt a habit? I'm not sure about that, anything can be habit forming and the fact that there is an addictive drug involved just hightens it.
    Yes I can see your point about people not really wanting to give up, but it is hard.

Also your point about an itch, I dont think they really compare do they, with a craving for cig's the craving goes away when you smoke. Unlike with an itch.
  • Options
    Rubbish...when you stop smoking for two days your body stops physically wanting the nicotine (If it ever did) ... the craving doesn't go away when you have a fag it re-appears....

Read Allen Carrs book and you will see what I mean.
  • Options
    Yes, I understand the difference between physical and phycological addiction. Just because the drug has gone, or even you were not chemically addicted in the first place does not mean that you dont have an addiction.

Amphetamines for example, there is NO physical addiction to them, but you try telling an addict that. It makes no odds, they NEED the drug.
  • Options
    like I said - read the book. Your body does not NEED the drug......your body wants you to give up the drug.....you just need to get the right mindset and realise the slavery of it!!

then all smokers can be free...honest!! If people WANT to keep on smoking fine...but I've yet to meet a smoker who isn't lying when they say they enjoy every fag they smoke.

All smokers want to give up, all smokers wish they had never started! All smokers would try to stop their children from smoking. All smokers know it kills......

giving up can be easy!
  • Options

All smokers want to give up, all smokers wish they had never started! All smokers would try to stop their children from smoking. All smokers know it kills......

giving up can be easy!
    bitch.