Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Learning a new Language

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I'm thinking of learning Italian next september i.e. doing evening classes. I hoping to learn in my free time on my own with out any help starting next week can any one give any advice, hints,etc
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Learning a new Language
    Originally posted by NUT_Card
    Hi,

I'm thinking of learning Italian next september i.e. doing evening classes. I hoping to learn in my free time on my own with out any help starting next week can any one give any advice, hints,etc

Perhaps try and get someone in your family or a friend to go along as well? It'll help if you have someone you can talk to in Italian and who knows whether you're doing it right or not!

It definitely helped me to learn sign language last year - someone from my group and myself arranged to meet up during the week between classes so that we could practice and make sure we were doing ok.
    Get some easy readers - the lowest level. You'll be surprised at how much you understand even with very little experience of Italian, and they're so useful for familiarising yourself with the language and learning vocab.

Grammar-wise, get a TY (Teach Yourself) or BBC book and CD set which take you through the basics of Italian and useful everyday phrases. Also a good grammar book - you'll probably work through one in your classes, but one I can recommend is 'Da Capo' - can't remember who published by but it's really comprehensive.

Also... browse the net. It's kinda useful! Newspaper websites like www.repubblica.it are good because you've got pictures and worldwide news items so it's quite easy to understand.

And of course if you can, get talking to real live Italian people! :)
    Thanks for your advice, I'm also thinking about learning Japanese, I am not sure throu
    wen u say "also learning japanese" u mean learn em at the same time or 1 or the other?

I am currently learning french and spanish and im always getting mixed up wiv the languages, saying things in spanish wen doing french etc. but the good point is there is simaliarities wiv the languages so patterns are picked up easier.....doubt there will b the same kinda thing wiv italien and japanese tho, if u try to learn both you will find it really hard: b coz they are so
    different languages