Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

what is TSS???????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi
this is going to be a really silly question but what is TSS? i know its something to do with tampax but what exactly? thankz
luv charnz x

[ 18-05-2002: Message edited by: xxhottxx ]

Comments

• Options
    Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Options
    it stands for toxic shock syndrome, which is an infection you can get from wearing a tampon too long. it can be fatal. it was quite common in the 60s i believe when they brought out extra extra absorbant tampons so people didnt change them as regularly. The risk of TSS is the reason why on tampon instruction leaflets it says always use the lowest absorbancy for your needs, ie if you are having a light period, use regular or mini tampons, rather than use a super plus tampon and leaving it in all day.
    the illness can progress rapidly from flu-like symptoms to a serious illness that can cause death.
    thankfully it is quite rare
  • Options
    It is not directly caused by tampons men and women both can get it but it is related to tampons.
  • Options
    Is this topic talked about in schools these days and if so do they tell boys and girl?

I remember one person mentioing they had a representative from the big tampon companies come down to their school to do a talk to the girls and when they asked about "Toxic Shock" they women ignored the question .. just the company didn't want to scare girls from using tampons and them making money!!

Is there actually any warning labels on the packaging?
  • Options
    i will quote directly form the packaging:
    Attetion: Tampons are associated with Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). TSS is a rare but serious illness that may cause death. Read and save the enclosed information about TSS and the use of tampons.

there you go. and erm i think i got told about it in school.