Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Airport security

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what everyone's take was on the following.

We all know that if your flying and you miss your flight then the flight gets delayed while they off load your bags as they won't take the bags without the occupant being on the plane.

But if your taking a long-haul flight with a connecting internal flight and your bags get lost then they send your bags on a later flight. Surely this breaks all the security regs that the airlines have in place? It happened to me when I flew back from T&T a few years back. I asked for my bags to be checked right through when we landed in London for my connecting flight back to Aberdeen. Same happened to my folks who flew back from S. Africa last week. Both times the bags missed our flight. Filled out some form and the airline phoned us and told us what flight and everything our bags were on and what time they would land at.

I can just picture Mr International Terrorist sitting on the plane pressing his detonator and wondering why he's not been blown out of the sky.

Should all lost baggage be shipped up in trucks or something?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess the issue of removing the bags if the owner wasn't on the flight was to avoid people checking in bombs on planes and then watch them blow up safely on the ground. However, whether the owner of the bags is on the plane or not has become irrelevant nowadays, as the new breed of terrorists are prepared to be blown up with the aircraft.

But no, I would not agree to have luggage shipped separately. How many aircrafts are downed due to bombs in the luggage? One every 5 years? 10 even? Statistically you are more at risk from eating lettuce...

It is still quite possible to smuggle weapons on board, as journalists have proved in several occasions during the last couple of years. Whether any pilot would agree to open the cockpit door is a different matter. As far as pilots are concerned a man could slaughter the whole crew and passengers if he wants. The door is not going to be opened after what happened in Sep. 01.

But at the end of the day the safety of flying is at its best ever, both from mechanical failure or intentional damage. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement. But if it were easy to smuggle and detonate bombs on aircraft, it would happen every week.