Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

terrorism can work ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I love you too :rolleyes:
    are you a zionist then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually Jacq, the historic roots of Zionism are founded in the late 18th century were antithetical to the "religion" itself. It was a secular movement for the creation of a secular homeland. A matter which most Orthodox Jews opposed right into the 20th century.
    That I know. And you'll still find orthodox Jews demonstrating side by side with Palestinians wanting to see the destruction of Israel.
    But Zionism is still intended for Jews. Jews are followers of a specific religions, Judaism. Therefore I said it was based on a certain religion, while not being religious.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    are you a zionist then?

Fuck yes, I am.

In all honesty, do I have a reason not to be? When my grandparents where not once, but twice forced to leave their country cause of their religion (second time, they had even cut all connections with anything religious whatsoever. Still it didn't make them good enough to be regarded as a part of their former country) then I'd be a fool not to believe that Jews need a Jewish state, where they can be welcome.
  • Options
    That I know. And you'll still find orthodox Jews demonstrating side by side with Palestinians wanting to see the destruction of Israel.
    But Zionism is still intended for Jews. Jews are followers of a specific religions, Judaism. Therefore I said it was based on a certain religion, while not being religious.

Fuck yes, I am.

In all honesty, do I have a reason not to be? When my grandparents where not once, but twice forced to leave their country cause of their religion (second time, they had even cut all connections with anything religious whatsoever. Still it didn't make them good enough to be regarded as a part of their former country) then I'd be a fool not to believe that Jews need a Jewish state, where they can be welcome.
    i agree the jews should have a state but not based on 6,000 year old borders!
  • Options
    i agree the jews should have a state but not based on 6,000 year old borders!

Good, then you're probably not as anti-zionist as you make yourself out to be.
    Zionism in it's pure and original form is the wish for Jews to have a homeland.
    To begin with Herzel didn't think of Israel, but rather Argentina or Uganda.

The discussion of borders is another issue.
  • Options
    Zionism is not a religion. It is an ideology based on religion.

As is militant Islam, and the concept of the holy war. Your point is?
  • Options
    Good, then you're probably not as anti-zionist as you make yourself out to be.
    Zionism in it's pure and original form is the wish for Jews to have a homeland.
    To begin with Herzel didn't think of Israel, but rather Argentina or Uganda.

The discussion of borders is another issue.
    but the borders are THE issue jacq. based on 6,000 year old property rights.
    if the rest of the world did that can you imagine the chaos?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    As is militant Islam, and the concept of the holy war. Your point is?

"What's your point, Jacq?" day, eh?

Point is, that when stating "lets make a war against religious extremism" he included Zionism under that, when it doesn't belong there. Simply corrected him.
    So what's your point of questioning me?

Now there is a difference between Zionism and militant Islam. Militant Islamism is a branch of islam, while Zionism has it's root in Judaism, but is not based on religious beliefs.
    And what's your point of bring this up, in this specific thread, instead of the other?
  • Options
    but the borders are THE issue jacq. based on 6,000 year old property rights.
    if the rest of the world did that can you imagine the chaos?

Borders have nothing to do with Zionism in pure form.

With current Zionism it does.
  • Options
    Borders have nothing to do with Zionism in pure form.

With current Zionism it does.
    and thats why modern zionism should be squashed. it breeds anti semitism. the western world has done a lot to support the jews in their struggle but modern zionism is turning the world more and more against the israeli people just as extreme mullahs are turning the world against those who practice genuine islam.
    we can talk and deal with islam and the jewish people ...there seems to be nothing to discuss with the extreme ones ...they want what they want as a god given right. different gods different rights ...can only lead to death and destruction.
  • Options
    and thats why modern zionism should be squashed. it breeds anti semitism. the western world has done a lot to support the jews in their struggle but modern zionism is turning the world more and more against the israeli people just as extreme mullahs are turning the world against those who practice genuine islam.
    we can talk and deal with islam and the jewish people ...there seems to be nothing to discuss with the extreme ones ...they want what they want as a god given right. different gods different rights ...can only lead to death and destruction.

So what will you do? Move all Jews to Uganda?

What makes you say that modern Zionism breeds anti-semitism?
  • Options
    So what will you do? Move all Jews to Uganda?

What makes you say that modern Zionism breeds anti-semitism?
    no the jews should have their home in israel. but the behaviour and attitude of modern zionism is breeding anti semitism in the world ...especialy europe. we saw enough of that in the last century to not want to go there again. if they are so rigid ...so inflexible in their demands and beliefs that it crushes the life out of the palestinians in a very nazi style manner then that can't be good for the world.
    the jewish people of all people should have more understanding and compassion toward a people wanting statehood than anyone ...alas ...it doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Options
    no the jews should have their home in israel. but the behaviour and attitude of modern zionism is breeding anti semitism in the world ...especialy europe. we saw enough of that in the last century to not want to go there again. if they are so rigid ...so inflexible in their demands and beliefs that it crushes the life out of the palestinians in a very nazi style manner then that can't be good for the world.
    the jewish people of all people should have more understanding and compassion toward a people wanting statehood than anyone ...alas ...it doesn't seem to be the case.
    Whole conflict in Israel can't be solved by saying it's Israel vs the Palestinians. Cause it's the Arab countries vs the Palestinians and the Palestinians vs. the Israelis.

Most Jews (even Sharon) would know that a peace with the Palestinians would not only serve the Palestinians but also the Israelis best.
    But at the moment it isn't a disagreemeant about land only, it's a fight for life.
    You won't find anyone budging off anything when being threatened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    Just like the terrorists in support of North Vietnam were "beaten" by the negotiations at the tables in Paris, right?

Terrorists are only "beaten" by termination.

And as to "reading"?

Have spent more time in the doing of events which were recorded through the prejudices and agendas of those removed from the moment, who in their supposition, deigned and ordeigned themselves the self-proclaimed guardians of delusions, your "historians".

I believe what I have lived, and witnessed. You? On the other hand? Would prefer the propaganda force-fed by your handlers...

History has shown us Brits that terrorism in Northern ireland was not defeated by force, incidents like Bloody Sunday and mass interternment were the best thing for IRA/Loyalist recruitment.

Both our Conservative and Labour governments have proved in the past it is possible to bring terrorists to the negotiating table and achieved success with the help of your true selves at times.

We even negotiated with groups like the Stern Gang in Palestine in the 40s even after our servicemen had been murdered by them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    History has shown us Brits that terrorism in Northern ireland was not defeated by force, incidents like Bloody Sunday and mass interternment were the best thing for IRA/Loyalist recruitment...

So now you are comparing the British treatment of Ireland to Israel's treatment of the Palestinians? :eek:

Never thought I would witness that concession, here... :p
  • Options
    Why don't you read what was written instead of what you think was written? Black Arab has a good point. Terrorism is not defeated by repression. History teaches us that this just recruits more people to the terrorists cause.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    So now you are comparing the British treatment of Ireland to Israel's treatment of the Palestinians? :eek:

Never thought I would witness that concession, here... :p

I am making a point about that some of us also have experiences we can draw on, not every lesson can be learned in books.

I speak as someone who has grown up with domestic terrorism.

You on the other hand seem to think you are the only with experience of war or terrorism and the rest of us have just buy the papers.

Just the suggestion of this is offensive to anyone who is British or Irish no matter what their beliefs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paratrooper
    How many innocents are involved? Well lets just take a grand tour of life under Saddam...

Life Under Saddam Hussein
    Past Repression and Atrocities by Saddam Hussein's Regime

Life Under
    Saddam Hussein

Escaping from Iraq

A Brutal Regime

For over 20 years, the greatest threat to Iraqis has been Saddam Hussein's regime -- he has killed, tortured, raped and terrorized the Iraqi people and his neighbors for over two decades.

When Iraq is free, past crimes against humanity and war crimes committed against Iraqis, will be accounted for, in a post-conflict Iraqi-led process. The United States, members of the coalition and international community will work with the Iraqi people to build a strong and credible judicial process to address these abuses.

Under Saddam's regime many hundreds of thousands of people have died as a result of his actions - the vast majority of them Muslims.

According to a 2001 Amnesty International report, "victims of torture in Iraq are subjected to a wide range of forms of torture, including the gouging out of eyes, severe beatings and electric shocks... some victims have died as a result and many have been left with permanent physical and psychological damage."

Saddam has had approximately 40 of his own relatives murdered.

Allegations of prostitution used to intimidate opponents of the regime, have been used by the regime to justify the barbaric beheading of women.

Documented chemical attacks by the regime, from 1983 to 1988, resulted in some 30,000 Iraqi and Iranian deaths.

Human Rights Watch estimates that Saddam's 1987-1988 campaign of terror against the Kurds killed at least 50,000 and possibly as many as 100,000 Kurds. o The Iraqi regime used chemical agents to include mustard gas and nerve agents in attacks against at least 40 Kurdish villages between 1987-1988. The largest was the attack on Halabja which resulted in approximately 5,000 deaths. o 2,000 Kurdish villages were destroyed during the campaign of terror.

Iraq's 13 million Shi'a Muslims, the majority of Iraq's population of approximately 22 million, face severe restrictions on their religious practice, including a ban on communal Friday prayer, and restriction on funeral processions.

According to Human Rights Watch, "senior Arab diplomats told the London-based Arabic daily newspaper al-Hayat in October [1991] that Iraqi leaders were privately acknowledging that 250,000 people were killed during the uprisings, with most of the casualties in the south." Refugees International reports that the "Oppressive government policies have led to the internal displacement of 900,000 Iraqis, primarily Kurds who have fled to the north to escape Saddam Hussein's Arabization campaigns (which involve forcing Kurds to renounce their Kurdish identity or lose their property) and Marsh Arabs, who fled the government's campaign to dry up the southern marshes for agricultural use. More than 200,000 Iraqis continue to live as refugees in Iran."

The U.S. Committee for Refugees, in 2002, estimated that nearly 100,000 Kurds, Assyrians and Turkomans had previously been expelled, by the regime, from the "central-government-controlled Kirkuk and surrounding districts in the oil-rich region bordering the Kurdish controlled north."

"Over the past five years, 400,000 Iraqi children under the age of five died of malnutrition and disease, preventively, but died because of the nature of the regime under which they are living." (Prime Minister Tony Blair, March 27, 2003) o Under the oil-for-food program, the international community sought to make available to the Iraqi people adequate supplies of food and medicine, but the regime blocked sufficient access for international workers to ensure proper distribution of these supplies. o Since the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom, coalition forces have discovered military warehouses filled with food supplies meant for the Iraqi people that had been diverted by Iraqi military forces.

The Iraqi regime has repeatedly refused visits by human rights monitors. From 1992 until 2002, Saddam prevented the UN Special Rapporteur from visiting Iraq.

The UN Special Rapporteur's September 2001, report criticized the regime for "the sheer number of executions," the number of "extrajudicial executions on political grounds," and "the absence of a due process of the law."

Executions: Saddam Hussein's regime has carried out frequent summary executions, including: o 4,000 prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in 1984 o 3,000 prisoners at the Mahjar prison from 1993-1998 o 2,500 prisoners were executed between 1997-1999 in a "prison cleansing campaign" o 122 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in February/March 2000 o 23 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in October 2001 o At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001

And despite what you may hear and see through the media, life for the average Iraqi has improved greatly. There will of course be stumbling blocks here and there. This is a known fact.
    They were accustomed to tyranny and just adjusting to the concept "freedom of speech"....well it takes awhile to sink in.

nothin like a bit of american rhetoric to get the pulse racing, have u ever heard of the Bush regime, although i don't know the exact figues but something like 15% of americans have lived in terrible poverty at some stage in their lives, unemployment is high, 10% of americas richest own 90% of all the wealth in america, hmm, slight gap there, wen was the last time u lost sleep over the fact that 400,000 iraqi children died of malnutrition, did u wake up and say "lets go to iraq and fight for those dying children", i doubt it very much, more like "oh our country is under siege, let me see, iraq, sadam, yea theres a target, and even better, they have large resouces of oil, what a coincidence, and even better, if they do have WMD, they'll never reach us with them," what a pack of cowardly fucks you all are, and again, is life in Iraq under Bush brilliant now, no water, no electricty, fuel, the country's worse now than it was before the invasion, and if america really were so concerned about sadam his Father wuldn've finished the job 10 years ago, not encourage the shiites to revolt only to run away, paratrooper, the patrioism doesn't work anymore, face it.
  • Options
    turlough...
    Please child, enlighten me with your knowledge gained from firsthand experiences as to how the world "really" operates.
    I suggest you reread the post, and take note of where some of the information originally came from.

2001 Amnesty International
    Human Rights Watch
    The UN Special Rapporteur's September 2001

And don't try and preach to me about the deaths of Iraqi children.
    I've seen firsthand of what Iraqis do not only to their own children, but to Kuwaiti kids too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    ... what a pack of cowardly fucks you all are, and again, is life in Iraq under Bush brilliant now, no water, no electricty, fuel, the country's worse now than it was before the invasion...

Cut and pasted from another site:
    The TRUTH from Iraq!
    This is for those who are discouraged at the constant bombardment of negative news about Iraq.

SINCE PRESIDENT BUSH DECLARED AN END TO MAJOR COMBAT ON MAY 1:

...the first battalion of the new Iraqi Army has graduated and is on active duty·

... over 60,000 Iraqis now provide security to their fellow citizens.

...nearly all of Iraq's 400 courts are functioning.

... the Iraqi judiciary is fully independent.

...on Monday, October 6 power generation hit 4,518 megawatts—exceeding the pre-war average.

...all 22 universities and 43 technical institutes and colleges are open, as are nearly all primary and secondary schools.

... by October 1, Coalition forces had rehabbed over 1,500 schools - 500 more than their target.

... teachers earn from 12 to 25 times their former salaries.

...all 240 hospitals and more than 1200 clinics are open.

...doctor's salaries are at least eight times what they were under Saddam.

...pharmaceutical distribution has gone from essentially nothing to 700 tons in May to a current total of 12,000 tons.

...the Coalition has helped administer over 22 million vaccination doses to Iraq's children.

...a Coalition program has cleared over 14,000 kilometers of Iraq's 27,000 kilometers of weed-choked canals. They now irrigate tens of thousands of farms. This project has created jobs for more than 100,000 Iraqi men and women.

...we have restored over three-quarters of pre-war telephone services and over two-thirds of the potable water production.

... there are 4,900 full-service connections. We expect 50,000 by January first.

...the wheels of commerce are turning. From bicycles to satellite dishes to cars and trucks, businesses are coming to life in all major cities and towns.

...95 percent of all pre-war bank customers have service and first-time customers are opening accounts daily.

... Iraqi banks are making loans to finance businesses.

...the central bank is fully independent.

... Iraq has one of the world's most growth-oriented investment and banking laws.

.. Iraq (has) a single, unified currency for the first time in 15 years.

...satellite dishes are legal.

...foreign journalists aren't on 10-day visas paying mandatory and extortionate fees to the Ministry of Information for minder's and other government spies.

.. there is no Ministry of Information.

...there are more than 170 newspapers.

... you can buy satellite dishes on what seems like every street corner.

... foreign journalists and everyone else are free to come and go.

...a nation that had not one single element—legislative, judicial or executive-- of a representative government, does.

...in Baghdad alone residents have selected 88 advisory councils. Baghdad's first democratic transfer of power in 35 years happened when the city council elected its new chairman.

...today in Iraq chambers of commerce, business, school and professional organizations are electing their leaders all over the country.

... 25 ministers, selected by the most representative governing body in Iraq's history, run the day-to-day business of government.

...the Iraqi government regularly participates in international events. Since July the Iraqi government has been represented in over two dozen international meetings, including those of the UN General Assembly, the Arab League, the World Bank and IMF and, today, the Islamic Conference Summit. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs today announced that it is reopening over 30 Iraqi embassies around the world.

...Shia religious festivals that were all but banned, aren't.

... for the first time in 35 years, in Karbala thousands of *****es celebrate the pilgrimage of the 12th Imam.

...the Coalition has completed over 13,000 reconstruction projects, large and small, as part of (a) strategic plan for the reconstruction of Iraq.

...Uday and Queasy are dead - and no longer feeding innocent Iraqis to his zoo lions, raping the young daughters of local leaders to force cooperation, torturing Iraq's soccer players for losing games...murdering critics.

...children aren't imprisoned or murdered when their parents disagree with the government.

...political opponents aren't imprisoned, tortured, executed, maimed, or are forced to watch their families die for disagreeing with Saddam.

...millions of longsuffering Iraqis no longer live in perpetual terror.

...Saudis will hold municipal elections.

... Qatar is reforming education to give more choices to parents.

... Jordan is accelerating market economic reforms.

... the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded for the first time to an Iranian -- a Muslim woman who speaks out with courage for human rights, for democracy and for peace.

...he has not faltered or failed.

...Saddam is gone.

Since... Iraq is free.

(NOT BAD FOR AN ADMINISTRATION:
    WITH NO PLAN.
    NO DIRECTION
    WAS GOING TO BE SLAUGHTERED GOING INTO BAGDAD
    WAS ONLY IN THIS FOR THE OIL.)
  • Options
    Now there is a difference between Zionism and militant Islam. Militant Islamism is a branch of islam, while Zionism has it's root in Judaism, but is not based on religious beliefs.
    An offshoot of any religion which betrays that religion's principles is more of a cancerous growth than a branch. So with al-Qa'ida, and so with Zionism. Two movements dedicated to the idea of a country made safe for their respective religions but, to switch metaphors, while they regard their ongoing operations as successful, they are killing the patients. Perhaps it's time to consider holistic medicine...
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    History has shown us Brits that terrorism in Northern ireland was not defeated by force, incidents like Bloody Sunday and mass interternment were the best thing for IRA/Loyalist recruitment.

Both our Conservative and Labour governments have proved in the past it is possible to bring terrorists to the negotiating table and achieved success with the help of your true selves at times.

We even negotiated with groups like the Stern Gang in Palestine in the 40s even after our servicemen had been murdered by them.

Agreed but Palestine & Israel is a whole different ball game.
    The culture & religion differences are more vast in this situation than N.I & UK which makes negotiating more difficult.
    Even if Sharon and Arafat (or whoever it is that is the leader now)
    stopped being so pigheaded and actually properly negotiated, you may still get individuals/groups carrying out attacks, like we have with the real IRA, but on a more extreme level.
  • Options
    Good morning all!

First off, I see that some here have chosen to speak of Saddam Hussein in a thread devoted to terrorism. I am very pleased that they have finally agreed that heads of state, 'official' armies and governments can be guilty of terrorism just as much as others.

Therefore in the future when Ariel 'Fat Murdering Bastard' Sharon and his Death Squads (a.k.a. the IDF) are branded 'terrorists', I trust we will never have to hear claims from certain people that the government, Army and Prime Minister of Israel cannot be called 'terrorists'.

With regard to fighting terrorism, like others have said it never has and never will be defeated by force alone. I know this might be beyond the simplistic, gun-ho approach of some, but it is as important to tackle the causes of terrorism, i.e. what is prompting this people with lives and families to kill themselves and others, as fighting the terrorists themselves.

The Israelis (to name an example) can build walls, uproot olive trees and continue oppressing the Palestinian population all they like. But all the walls, army checkpoints and F-16 attacks in the world will not stop the attacks. Because for as long as the Palestinians are deprived of life, land and dignity there will always be volunteers to blow themselves up. The attacks will stop with the devolution of land in full and a stop to the daily atrocities. Not with bulldozer, the concrete wall and the Apache gunship. It's about fucking time the government of Israel understood this.

And yet you still have Jack Straw saying the other day that the Turkey blasts against British interests had nothing to do with British involvement in the war on Iraq. What fucking patronising, clueless hypocrites that lot are :mad:
  • Options
    Why doesn't the middle east just give in and become westernised? It's such a better lifestyle.

Mc Donalds anyone?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    An offshoot of any religion which betrays that religion's principles is more of a cancerous growth than a branch. So with al-Qa'ida, and so with Zionism

Lets re-phrase. The ideology is based for the people of a certain religion. It has nothing whatsoever to do with religions beliefs, and doesn't betray principle of the religion, by wishing for it's followers to have their own country.
  • Options
    Aladdin. One hasn't got anything to do with the other, in the way you present it.
    So yes, I will be the first to say that Sharon and the IDF are not terrorists.
    Deed done.
  • Options
    And yet you saw it fit to drop the name of Saddam Hussein in a thread discussing terrorism???

Appalling double standards, and yet not surprising...
  • Options
    They are terrorists if you are a Palestinian who has watched his/her family indiscrimately shot up, blown up or had your residence bulldozed to rubble and your land confiscated to build a concentration camp styled wall.

Jacq, the label of terrorist, the way it has come to be used as the banner justification for disproportional militarism by we in the West, is all a matter of what end of the violence you happen to stand.
  • Options
    One persons terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. Nelson Mandela was branded a terrorist back in the 80's.
  • Options
    Any insurgency against those who hold the power at a given moment are branded "terrorists". Examples can found throughout history.

Today's definition has more to do with separating those who bow to the Bush administration political agenda as opposed to those who refuse than it does any consistent and internationally accepted definition.

Even OBL was Washington's darling so long as he was killing Soviets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Agreed but Palestine & Israel is a whole different ball game.
    The culture & religion differences are more vast in this situation than N.I & UK which makes negotiating more difficult.
    Even if Sharon and Arafat (or whoever it is that is the leader now)
    stopped being so pigheaded and actually properly negotiated, you may still get individuals/groups carrying out attacks, like we have with the real IRA, but on a more extreme level.

I agree that there would still be dissidents or rogue elements outside of any sort of negotiations in any conflict, past and present. My point is there comes a time when you have to say the present strategy is not working.

I'm not talking about an overnight cure in one touch-feely session, the divisions there are literally biblical. But, there are issues which need to be looked at and addressed . Apologies if I'm not getting my point across, here's a link which sums up my opinion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3270491.stm