Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A question for the atheists here

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you focus on christians there alladin, musluims r just as annoying, the older ones trying to convert people left right r center, the most annoying person i ever met was an old muslim man, the second was a jehovas witness, and the third was my father
    Oh I know... I was just picking the Christian god on this occasion because of the Christian (specially Catholic) obsession with hell.

But I'm an equal-opportunity atheist. I loathe all organised religions equally. ;)
    wat bout the un organised ones? such as ba'hai
    Any religion that seeks to brainwash vulnerable people into joining their flock (like we do here with religious education to defenceless children) and seeks to control their lives by threat of divine punishment if the rules are not adhered to (such pre-marital sex, homosexuality, abortion, cohabitation, forceful worshipping of an invisible entity and countless others) are detestable in my book.

I don't have a problem with adults choosing to join any such religion out of free will (and so long as they don't try to control the lives of others or impose their views on the rest of society), but I do have a big problem with children being taught religion as fact from the day they're born.

For what's worth I recognise Buddhism as a much more benign force than the 'big 3' monotheist religions. And I don't have a problem with unorganised ones as long as they do not indulge in the same 'recruitment' and 'behaviour control' methods as organised religion.
    there are worse things you know ...you could be talked into becoming a telesales person!
    Or becomming a door-to-door salesman for N-Power. :mad: :D
    Re: A question for the atheists here
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Firstly, think of the person that you LOVE most in the world. :heart:

Now try and take a moment to imagine how long eternity must be. :eek:

And so, the question is this :-

If you consider yourself an atheist, would you be confident enough to state now on this topic board (like a sworn affidavit) that you are prepared to confine that person you love most in the world, to an eternity of pain, fire and damnation if it transpired you were wrong about "god" and the "afterlife" (i.e. they would go to "hell" in your place)?

In other words, are you so confident that there is no "god" or "afterlife" that you would be prepared to gamble the eternity of the person you most love, on your belief?

:hyper:

Well which god?

Which particular religion should I choose to make her believe? Since I'm guessing that if I chose Islam, if christianity was a "true" religion she'd go to hell, if I chose Hinduism and Christianity was the true religion shed go to hell, if I chose christianity and Hindusim was the "true" religion she'd be reincarnated as an ant, etc etc

If there was only one religion in the world, then I'd consider it.

And being an atheist doesn't mean you rule out any possibility of there being a god or some kind of spiritual plane...it just means that you've assessed all the evidence, logic, and rationality behind it and believe on what you have that there is no god, or is unlikely to be.

And I don't think there is any religion in the world that believes in any way that a decision someone makes could effect another's judgement in the afterlife.