Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ibs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm

does anyone know what tests a doctor will/would carry out on you in order to check if you really have IBS ??
I ment to the doctors a few years ago and was told i had spasmodic bowel syndrome, similar to IBS though slightly differant...Anyway i tried a search online recently and couldnt find any info on it it just kept showing up as IBS i went to the nhs website and all my symptoms are exactly how it says on the nhs website....but no one betwen my house ( my mum) to my work ( anyone at work) believs i have it they al think im talking out my arse which im not my symptoms match exactly to what it says on that nhs website....NOW..

Im not scared of certain things at the doctors ( needles) but there NO WAY they i'll let anyone stik a needle in me ever...Not certain other procedures....anyway does anyoneknow what they do.....All info greatly appreciated...( coz its getting to me that they wont believe me and they all want to to get check by the doctor)

cheers

®

Comments

• Options
    with me they did a physical exam (lot of poking of my stomach and looking at general things like my ears and throat), then i had blood tests to rule anything 'sinister' out. and they wanted to give me a gastroscopy (where they stick the camera down your throat), but i was having none of that.

and they'll ask you loads of questions about your symptoms, and eating habits and all that kind of thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    with me they did a physical exam (lot of poking of my stomach and looking at general things like my ears and throat), then i had blood tests to rule anything 'sinister' out. and they wanted to give me a gastroscopy (where they stick the camera down your throat), but i was having none of that.

and they'll ask you loads of questions about your symptoms, and eating habits and all that kind of thing.

:eek2: im not being prodded like an animal :lol:

nor am i having no gastroscopy :no: No thank you!

But i am to blame for my diet ( or somewhat lack of it) See im extremely fussy at what i eat in terms of i like something one day and not the next plus i hate all the healthy foods i should really be eating....oh dear..
  • Options
    Check out our IBS factsheet for more info ;)
  • Options
    I just went to the docs she prodded me around and said ive got IBS plain and simple, she also asked about my eating, what causes it etc.
  • Options
    I just went to the docs she prodded me around and said ive got IBS plain and simple, she also asked about my eating, what causes it etc.
  • Options
    i had to get a barium enema to rule out anything more serious and when the results came back clear they said it was ibs.
    barium enema wasnt v dignified but it wasnt painful and it was good to have peace of mind.
    if you wont let the docs carry out appropriate tests then you arent going to get a proper diagnosis are you. sometimes you got to just bite the bullet and get some horrible things done.
    i got three teeth pulled out and i am terrified of the dentist. i could have said no but when i thought, suffer weeks/months of pain or be distressed for a wee while i chose the latter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman

if you wont let the docs carry out appropriate tests then you arent going to get a proper diagnosis are you. sometimes you got to just bite the bullet and get some horrible things done.

i thought that, but i didn't say it cause it would have been massively hypocritical.

tbh i had blood tests, the physical, and an ultrasound scan, so i thought opting out of the gastoscopy wasn't overly dangerous.

having no tests at all would have been stupid though.
  • Options
    They don't need to do tests, unless it's to rule out something more serious. IBS isn't a serious illness it's just a damn annoyance to live with sometimes. I don't see why there's any reason for your parents to doubt you have it but you may as well go to the doctor and tell him/her what you think. They won't need to do any nasty tests with needles etc unless they think there's a risk of something more serious, in which case it's worth the pain just to know you're not at serious risk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    They don't need to do tests, unless it's to rule out something more serious.

but ibs can have similar symptoms to more serious conditions so they have to test for these things to. what if no tests were done and you were told you had ibs and then when it was too late you found out it was somthing more serious, you would be damn pissed off at the doc for misdiagnosing!

christ i dont mean to imply you dont have ibs pal i just mean that there is a good reason they have to do horrible tests at times
  • Options
    That's what I meant. I think it depends how serious your symptoms are. I had a blood test but nothing else. What I meant is that as far as I know there aren't any tests which actually confirm that you have IBS, just test which confirm that you don't have anything else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    That's what I meant. I think it depends how serious your symptoms are. I had a blood test but nothing else. What I meant is that as far as I know there aren't any tests which actually confirm that you have IBS, just test which confirm that you don't have anything else.

this is very true!