Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

the homeless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
after a conversation in work i was just wondering what peoples views are on the homeless?
someone in my work said that 80% of the homeless where junkies and it was there fault they were on the street, which i strongly disagreed with. someone else said that it was there choice to be on the street as there is plenty of places to go for help and some people put themselves on the street?????:confused: i said aye some people would rather be on the streets than be in a home where they are being abused etc.

so whats your views on it all. i give when i can to the homless. i tend not to put money in peoples hands but i give shelter £5 a month (im a student) or i buy a big issue. i feel for people on the street, it makes you appreciate being able to wake up in a warm bed!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: the homeless

your work colleague sounds like a right c unt
    Re: Re: the homeless
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    your work colleague sounds like a right c unt

it was more than one person but no they aint c**ts its just their opinion but i think they are absurd opinions!
    people with opinions like that are c unts ime
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    people with opinions like that are c unts ime

ok thats your opinion and they are entitled to theres, thats not what the threads about. im interested in YOUR opinions!
    My opinion is that people on the street are among the most vulnerable sections of society, they are often dealing with mental health or emotional problems, drink or drug problems, exploitation etc and there should be more help for them to get sorted out. I sometimes give money to homeless people and I work with drug users.
    I'd tell your colleague to go out and talk to homeless people before making that judgement.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I'd tell your colleague to go out and talk to homeless people before making that judgement.

fair enough but i dont want peoples opinions on my work mates, i want peoples own opinions on the homeless!
    People without homes are people of all different types. The same as people that have a house of some sort.
    Like Blagsta said there's a multitude of reasons why someone becomes homeless but getting off the streets is a lot harder than people think.

I've had an experience of homelessness, I lost my job in another town because the office there closed down, I was forced to return to Bristol and slept on mates floors. Without a network of good mates it could have got a lot worse.

Yes there are homeless people on drugs but there's also pop stars on drugs and people wouldn't think of boycotting their records. Fair play to you buying the Big Issue and donating maybe you could leave your old copies in the office tea room.
    after a conversation in work i was just wondering what peoples views are on the homeless?
    someone in my work said that 80% of the homeless where junkies and it was there fault they were on the street, which i strongly disagreed with. someone else said that it was there choice to be on the

I think we should spend more money on helping these people to get them off the street and to get a job so they can have some kind of goal in life.

Our gov't should stop fuckin' about giving money to 3rd world country's and put more time and effort in to helping THEIR own people.
    Originally posted by Damocles
    Our gov't should stop fuckin' about giving money to 3rd world country's and put more time and effort in to helping THEIR own people.

Another offensive and ignorant post. We all share the same world and we are all human beings. Its not an either/or situation, we can do both. Maybe if we spent less money bombing the shit out of Iraq, there might be more money to help homeless people.
    Lets not forget or ignore the fact that increasing numbers of homless are decent hardworking people who have subsequently been turned into the statistics of corporate "downsizing" along with there families.

Go watch the film Roger and Me for an indication of how misinformed these snide armchair critics are with their dismissive self satisfied claims of what sorts of people wind up homeless.

One day when their comfy expectations of the future are put to an end by the dictats of ever increasing corporate "profitability", it'll be oh so interesting to hear their views about "do nothing lazy dole recipients". That of course presupposes they have even so much as an address with which to qualify for dole payments.
    i agree that most homeless ppl have mental problems etc and i feel for them, but i have come across homeless ppl who have attacked me for no reason, there's no point in saying they're all good and well there is a minority that are scum
    I feel sorry for genuine homeless people. But, seeing as most of the homeless in cities are beggars, who have massive drug problems and live in council property anyway I have no sympathies.
    Since those facts emerged the public have less time for them as well.

A small hardcore group of those beggars are abusive as well which isn't what you need at 8 in the morning on your way to work.
    what do people think about the even larger amount of people who are homeless who we never even see. those sleeping rough aren't the only people without a home.

Women who have fled abusive partners and who are sleeping on a friends floor.

Students who are fed up of illegal landlord.

As clan said those who no longer have a home because of corporate downsizing.

business men sleeping on office floors

I could go on.

Do people realise what they say? Oh there are plently of ways to get help... Have they ever tried to get a housing application through their local council?

Some of the posts in this thread have sadly indicated what many people think.

Why is it, that because someone is homeless, uses drugs & begs is scum? Do these people really think homeless people feel empowered? happy? ffs of course they don't, those i know and work with are desperate to escape the cycle.