Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

student politics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there - don't post here very often, and I really ought to. I have a little political dilemma that I need help with.
I'm running for Social Secretary of our JCR (ie student committee type thing) and until today I was the only candidate. However NOW I'm being opposed by a young lady who happens to be the ancestor of a famous Russian writer, and a countess to boot.
I think I'd do a better job, because I've got experience, and I could argue her down at a hustings because I used to do a lot of debating.
However, I still think she's going to win, and probably by a big margin, and I'd really prefer not to have that kind of a confidence bashing right now.
So ....
Do I withdraw and avoid an embarrassing defeat, or should I stand up and fight and attempt to persuade people that a humble Welsh girl is the right candidate for the job?

Comments

• Options
    Apart from her ancestry and title, what else do you think would make her a more desirable Social Secretary?
  • Options
    Well she goes to all sorts of high society events and many people seems to worship her, indicating to me that lots of people would go to anything she organised. But I don't think she'd be a great Soc Sec, just that she's popular enough to sway the vote to her just because it's SHE who's standing. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    It makes perfect sense.

So she one of them...

Hmm...if you're sure she will win and losing would be that embarrasing (and confidence knocking), then withdraw.

But if you think you can do the job better, then stay in the running.
    If her winning is to do with her just being a certain person, then don't feel too bad if she does, you can only try and persuade them the best that you can. You'll probably look better for trying.

Hope this is some help :)
  • Options
    JCR hustings often come down to essentially a popularity contest, so losing isnt exactly anything to be ashamed of.

Go for it, its better to try and not succeed than to just give up and go home.
  • Options
    Election results for anyone who's interested:
    I DID beat the Russian princess, wonder of wonders, however, this doesn't mean I won the election. A friend who ran for president also stood for the post (and seeing her name I kinda knew this was inevitable, but had made my mind up not to withdraw no matter what) and she won, by about 40 votes.
    I ignored my instincts and stood, but I guess I'm no worse off than I was before, and this way I can still win champagne of a Friday evening for my costumes