Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Adult at 14

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who thinks the legal age to have sex should be lowered to 14?

this tread is kind of inspired by 'adult at 14' - a programme channel 4 will be showing in a few weeks.

Lizzy xXx

Comments

• Options
    I dont think this is right. People always break the law and do it earlier, so if its this young, imagine how young peopl really will be doing it at.
  • Options
    No. I nearly slept with a boyfriend when I was 15 and I'm very glad I didn't now - looking back, I just wasn't ready.

I know everyone matures at different ages but I really do think that 14 is too young. Also, the law is basically seen as a guideline by most young couples, so 16 is fine. If it were 14, then couples as young as 11 and 12 might think it was 'normal' to start having sex soon. It would also make it legal for a 30yr old to have sex with a 14 yr old. Which is plain wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    It would also make it legal for a 30yr old to have sex with a 14 yr old. Which is plain wrong.

good point.

but it says on this programme that instead of discriminating teen pregnancies they will be able to protect them, which i think is a good idea...?
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXx~Lizzy~xXx
    instead of discriminating teen pregnancies they will be able to protect them,

How would they do that?
  • Options
  • Options
    good point.

but it says on this programme that instead of discriminating teen pregnancies they will be able to protect them, which i think is a good idea...?
    In what way exactly does the fact that the legal age for sex is 16 affect the way in which teen pregnancies, above or below 16, are treated?
  • Options
    Originally posted by giggles3

However in Holland the age is 12, yet our teenage pregnancy rate is 7 times as high as theirs. So is it a case of wanting what you're not allowed to do and doing it anyway

Exactly.

dunno how they would protect it....just a thought lol
  • Options
    No, I think it should stay as it is at the moment.

In my opinion, I don't care how mature they appear to be, no 14 year old should be classed as an adult.

I mean at 16 people have, on the whole, matured to a stage where they can make decisions for themselves and not be influenced by factors around them.But if a 14 year old knew their friend was shagging, I think chances are they'd start doing it as well through either peer pressure or trying to fit in.

Sweeping generalisation, but I believe it to be true.
  • Options
    I think it's fine as it is. 16 is about right.

But I think it's stupid that you can have sex at 16, but aren't supposed to watch dirty videos until you're 18.
  • Options
    Of course people mature at different ages, but why should a 17 year old lad become a criminal becuase he makes love to his 15 year old girlfriend?
  • Options
    Originally posted by fatherbarre2001
    Of course people mature at different ages, but why should a 17 year old lad become a criminal becuase he makes love to his 15 year old girlfriend?

I agree..

But I say, if your gonna do it... Just keep it between you and your lover, there is no need for anyone else to know really.

The sad fact is, that there are also lots of girls who have underage sex with older guys, and then have the power to have the lad done for it, even though he hasnt done anything wrong, even though she also chose to do it.. ¬_¬
  • Options
    Originally posted by fatherbarre2001
    Well, given a choice between that being illegal and old men sleeping with 14 yr olds being legal, I know which I'd choose.

As Instie said, just keep it between yourselves.
  • Options

As Instie said, just keep it between yourselves.

:yes:
  • Options
    14 is way to young to be the legal age to have sex. Somtimes at 16 you don't know what you want or you don't feel ready but at 14 there is no way your ready even if you think you do. In some cases at that age you've not even developed proparly.
  • Options
    Well heres something to think about when regarding the issue of lowering the legal age to have consential sex to 14.

When we talk about 14 year old having sex now we think, eeew thats disgusting (well most people with morality) but just imagine if the legal age was lowered to 14, i mean you imagine people 2 years younger than the legal age then, they would be 12 and that is just wrong in every sense of the word.

So my answe to the lowering of the legal sex age is not just a no but its a HELL NO!!
  • Options
    I think the current age of consent is fine. I don't believe that by lowering it that that will help in combating the hign teenage pregnancy rate in the UK.

The only way that can be combated is with better education. But the government needs to open their eyes a little. Folk younger than 16 will and do have sex. One of the youth helpers in my areas always carries loads of condoms on him. He dishes them out on a Friday and Saturday night to the folks who hang about the shops,etc...

Now he's not promotting underage sex but he is at least trying to keep them safe.

Underage drinking must play a massive factor in teenage pregancies. Maybe something should be done about that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Adult at 14
    who thinks the legal age to have sex should be lowered to 14?

this tread is kind of inspired by 'adult at 14' - a programme channel 4 will be showing in a few weeks.

Lizzy xXx

I would advise against researchers using these boards without permission from YouthNetUK.

But no, it shouldnt be lowered to 14. the law as it stands is perfectly adequate, as ir protects young girls from predatory men yet allows teenagers to develop sexually in a normal atmosphere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clementine

When we talk about 14 year old having sex now we think, eeew thats disgusting (well most people with morality) but just imagine if the legal age was lowered to 14, i mean you imagine people 2 years younger than the legal age then, they would be 12 and that is just wrong in every sense of the word.

I cannot see how it is 'immoral' to have sex at 14?

I would also suggest that you cannot legiitmately claim that lowering the age of consent would lower the average age at which people start sexual relationships, without evidence.

If the age were lowered to 10 would you seriously expect 8 year olds to be gaving sex regularly?

The fact is that the age of consent is pretty much irrelvant. Sex is natural urge and people will do it when they are ready in todays society.

Like people have said the most important thing is to make sure that when they do it they do it sensibly.....
  • Options
    alot of my friends have but i havent i feel a shouldnt cause im afraid i might get pregnant and im just not ready so i feel it should be 16 but it being that ppl will want to break that law so ....
  • Options
    Basically the way I see it, the law is there to protect young people from having sex with older men. You dont hear many cases of a 14 year old couple getting caught for having illegal underage sex! But if a 20yr old man slept with a 13 year old then the law would make sure he went down for it. As for the question of being "ready" or not...it varies. I didnt have sex til I was 19 but I know people who did at 13. It depends on you.
  • Options
    know people who did at 13. It depends on you.
    i agree with that likes its all about what you think it shouldnt matter to the person invovled wat the other ppl think
  • Options
    yeh so do I half my pals
  • Options
    I think 16 is right. If it was lowered, then younger kids would start thinking of having sex even younger than they are now. There would be more peer pressure on them to do so if the age of consent was lower. Keep it where it is.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    but still it aint like the law for it to be 16 is goin to stop people
  • Options
    I was watching a documentary about sex and young girls growing up and they were talking about that the legal age is only a guide line for when to have sex and that it can't really stop someone from doing it no matter what their age. It was also explaining how because girls are begining to start puberty at early ages such as 8 then it means their bodys are ready for sex at an earlier age. The documentary was also blaming unhealthy diets to be the cause of girls starting puberty earlier because you need to be a certain wieght for puberty to begin.
  • Options
    Well, I lost my virginity at 14 (I'm now 18) and I think I delt with sex the same way then as I do now. However, I do think the age of consent at 16 is right, because although I do believe some people are mature enough (both physically, mentally and emotionally) at 14 to have sex, the vast majority aren't, they just think they are. I do however think the way people having underage sex are treated should change, for example they should be given contraception more readily, and receive more realistic education on it. By the time I had proper sex education, I'd already been in a relationship for two years, and had been having sex for about that amount of time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Maybe it should be lowered, maybe it shouldn't but in my opinion the youth of today (ha ha, I sound so old) should be better educated in safe sex..

believe me, theres only so much you can tell people, we had a year of weekly lessons about emotional/psycological damage it can cause, what to do if you get infected, what to do if you get pregnant, how to put condoms on, where to get contraception etc...
    we also had ages of lessons on the scientifical aspect, which put more people off sex than i could ever imagine!

in my school they teach sex ed very well, i dunno about other schools, but in all honesty, if people dont wanna listen, theres not much more they can do
  • Options
    i remember when i was 12 on holiday and this french boy bought some condoms because he wanted to sleep with me. i didnt coz i knew i was sooooo not ready but at least he was responsible.
  • Options
    No. I nearly slept with a boyfriend when I was 15 and I'm very glad I didn't now - looking back, I just wasn't ready.

I know everyone matures at different ages but I really do think that 14 is too young. Also, the law is basically seen as a guideline by most young couples, so 16 is fine. If it were 14, then couples as young as 11 and 12 might think it was 'normal' to start having sex soon. It would also make it legal for a 30yr old to have sex with a 14 yr old. Which is plain wrong.

after watching both programmes about under age sex i must disagree with you here, its been claimed that everyone begins exploring sexuality from as early as two, if a 14 year old girl or boy is in love with a 30 yr old and knows what they are doin mentally then they shuld b allowed, in spain the legal age is 13 i think and they don't have sex on average until they're 18 or 19, its all about teaching children about it, if it's not taboo it's not appealing therefore under-16's won't do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    in spain the legal age is 13 i think and they don't have sex on average until they're 18 or 19, its all about teaching children about it, if it's not taboo it's not appealing therefore under-16's won't do it.

The Dutch have consistently the best sex education system, the best attitude about sex, the lowest instances of teen pregnancy, an age of consent set at 12 (in Amsterdam) and the average age to use their virginity is 17, compared with 15 in Scotland/Britain.

I was very angry with the TV during this program and had quite a few angry tirades. The government are a bunch of idiots. They're going to severely fuck up this country if they raise the age of consent to 16 for all forms of sex/intimacy. Kiss chase could become illegal?! I mean... Ugh. The whole idea of not having that law is so people can experiment and learn things when they're ready, not when the government says they can. Ugh. It's just all completely wrong. Consential actions should not be prosecutable. Fair enough, if the kids are like 10, but oral sex between two 15 year olds?! Or 'snogging' between two 14 year olds punishable by an addition to the sex education register?! Ugh.