Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Loss of Feeling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This has happened to me a few times before but was particularly bad last night...
I was fast asleep and im woken up because i've had my arm in a funny position but ive lost the entire feeling in it. i have to pick it up with the other arm and move and then coax movement back into starting with my fingers then hand etc. Is this normal!?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Loss of Feeling
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    This has happened to me a few times before but was particularly bad last night...
    I was fast asleep and im woken up because i've had my arm in a funny position but ive lost the entire feeling in it. i have to pick it up with the other arm and move and then coax movement back into starting with my fingers then hand etc. Is this normal!?

It's probably a form of sleep paralysis. A perfectly normal sensation that a lot of people experience upon waking. Try searching Google for more information.

x
    By what you are saying I'm thinking you mean that you arms like it now?

Could well be lack of blood circulation (SP?) or maybe a traped nerve. Best off seeing your GP.

If you mean when your asleep then wake and have to move your arm then it could be just.. again... lack of blood flowing to your arm causeing it to go numb for a little while. Other than that it's proberly sleep paralysis which I get a lot. That's nothing to worry about tho.
    It is probably just a simple case of your arm going numb because of you lseeping on it, it restricts blood circulation.

How does the feeling come back, do you get pins and needles?

But, as always, if you are worried eitehr see your GP or give NHS Direct a ring on 0845 46 47.
    Thanks for the advice, yeh i must just sleep weird.lol. thanks again
    Kirsty xx
    How hard is your matress?

if it's very hard you could try softening it up by putting an old duvet under yourself, that way if you sleep on your arm the other side is softer and more cushioned and should allow more blood to circulate.

My matress is a very firm type with no springs in it and good for your back if you sleep on your back, but I tend to sleep on my side so the matress pushes my shoulder upwards and it can get quite sore.

You could also buy a body pillow (assuming you sleep alone) - it's a long pillow about 4ft or 5 ft long and you can wrap your arms and legs around it so you're not sleeping on your arm.
    The medical term is `dead arm`. Its similar to the well known phenomenon known as `dead leg` but symptoms are concentrated in the arm area