Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abortion Law challenge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anti-abortion groups are planning to challeng the right of women to terminate their pregnancy.

Story here

What do you think, do they have a point or are they meddling?

Comments

• Options
    That's exactly what anti-abortion groups have been attempting for ages. Nothing new really.

What is far more interesting is how these groups are planning to argue their case on the basis of the forthcoming EU Constitution. A Constitution which has drawn little more than derision and claims of "loss of sovereignty" from most quarters in the UK.

How conveniently they rally to it, though, when it provides them a platform for their pet grievance.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    firstly, as this law would only apply to babies with genetic disorders, it would make absolutely no sense as healthy babies would still be able to be terminated, and i can see plenty of discrimination proceedings occuring.

Don't you love the irony in their stance there.

It's as if they accept that it's okay to abort a (supposedly) fit and health foetus shouldn't be aborted.

I know that isn't what they actually stand for, but the irony made me smile. I have no doubt that their claim will the thrown out.
    secondly, i think that effectively forcing a woman to look after a very sick person for the rest of their lives is morally repugnant.

But they aren't suggesting that the mother should look after the child, but that she should give birth. They give no consideration to the care of the child after that point.
  • Options
    So, what benefit will it do to the baby, when it's mother is forced to keep it when she thinks she isn't capable of that?

Yes, congratulations, they have now screwed two lives instead of one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's just another angle for anti-abortion groups. They've protested against it for this long and have not managed to change the law now they are trying something new.

It's sad to think that these people would prefer to see a child brought up in an unstable home, with young or unfit parents and with severe illnesses.

It's easy to have an opinion about something when it doesn't affect you. They should spare a thought for the girls that are in this position, faced with an unwanted pregnancy. It's a very difficult time especially if you're young. The last thing they need is a jumped up 'know it all' calling them a murderer.

Sorry digressing slightly there, I know this thread was about the above article but I feel very strongly about anti-abortion campaigners in general.
  • Options
    I won't go into what I think about those people because I'll probably blow up whichever anti-swearing filters might be in place. :mad:

The Romans had the right idea. Bring back the lions.
  • Options
    The thing that worries me about the way they are going to mount the challenge is that its very unclear how the ECJ would actually react.

A similar situation has only come up once, in SPUC in 1995, and the anti-abortionists successfully managed to prevent a UK womens group from advertisng abortions in Eire. But the ECJ decided it, as a botch-job, in purely economic terms, rather than the moral implication, so no-one really knows how the ECJ would react again.

But the Advocate General decided SPUC, as an advisor, against SPUC (Society for protection of unborn children) in terms of morals, so really who knows?

Its still distasteful, and its a real shame that the individuals doing this werent aborted. Itd certainly have made the world a better place.
  • Options
    Re: Abortion Law challenge
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Anti-abortion groups are planning to challeng the right of women to terminate their pregnancy.

Story here

What do you think, do they have a point or are they meddling?

*cough* twats