Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

performance enhancing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last night on R4 I was listening to the moral maze (well I started anyway).
it was about doping in sport.

there was this man on who was saying that doping should be allowed because it's no different from wearing performance enhancing football boots or running spikes or an aerodynamic helmet, or someone training lots, (because afterall training changes biochemistry).

It was a side of the argument I never even thought of, and it has just made what I though was black and white rather gray!

So does wearing the lastest kit equate to the same as blood doping of taking THG?

IMO I think that this is an slightly absurd stance - training might change biochemstry, but it is a "natural" way of doing it. wearing the latest boots is irelvent if you lack fitness.

so what do you think?

the UKSport webpage is here BTW

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/generic_template.asp?id=12170

Comments

• Options
    Performance enhancing drugs are not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If it ever was to become acceptable sports teams would hire teams of researchers to invent new drugs and sport would just become medical science.

There might be good points of course, discovering new ways to fight diseases etc but I doubt they would just give these technologys away.
  • Options
    chemicaly enhanced sportsmen cannot be allowed to become the norm.
    it would mean that people who wish to remain drug free would not be able to compete.
    as for the boots etc i see no problem.
    i'm sure robin hood probably won a few competitions having a better made bow and/or arrows.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Performance enhancing drugs are not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If it ever was to become acceptable sports teams would hire teams of researchers to invent new drugs and sport would just become medical science.

what makes you think this doesn't happen already - how long has THG been around and undetected.

I have worked with professional cyclist (and in the doping world cycling leads) who have experienced sports doctors asking them how fast do you want to go and when, if you join up, you pay your money, and get your supplies and masking drugs, measured to the mcg and timed to perfection and lo and behold, you win and test clean
  • Options
    Re: performance enhancing
    Originally posted by hobbs
    IMO I think that this is an slightly absurd stance - training might change biochemstry, but it is a "natural" way of doing it. wearing the latest boots is irelvent if you lack fitness.

I can understand the point being made.

Addidas Predator boots were designed to add extra power and swerve. This is performance enhancing.

Some football shirt have breathable fabrics (or somthing like that) and so the players find that they sewat a little less. They are able therefore to perform over longer periods without the impact this used to have. Thus an enhanced performance.

You could look at athelets, spikes means that the runners had better grip. Lycra imprved their wind resistance.

What about Thorpes swinsuit, which is supposed to reduce the body's natural drag by smothing out some lumps and bumps - does that not improve his performance?

Just as with drugs, the player (sportsman) has to train to a standard first, as will all of his/her opponents and it could be the drug/kit they use which gives them the edge.

I'm not suggesting that I agree with drug use, but I do think that the commentator has a point.
  • Options
    If thats true then I think its probably a bit late to start doing anything about it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: performance enhancing
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I can understand the point being made.

Addidas Predator boots were designed to add extra power and swerve. This is performance enhancing.

Some football shirt have breathable fabrics (or somthing like that) and so the players find that they sewat a little less. They are able therefore to perform over longer periods without the impact this used to have. Thus an enhanced performance.

You could look at athelets, spikes means that the runners had better grip. Lycra imprved their wind resistance.

What about Thorpes swinsuit, which is supposed to reduce the body's natural drag by smothing out some lumps and bumps - does that not improve his performance?

Just as with drugs, the player (sportsman) has to train to a standard first, as will all of his/her opponents and it could be the drug/kit they use which gives them the edge.

I'm not suggesting that I agree with drug use, but I do think that the commentator has a point.

hence saying what I though was black and white suddenly turned grey - I follow the point too

and it scared me a bit - I mean how do we define what is fair and not, because if a "poor" team can't aford the best boots, they are disadvantaged.

my mind is also wondering to the rules in F1 racing...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: performance enhancing

Don't get me started...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: performance enhancing

10 pints of boddingtons and they will THINK ...they can drive better.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: performance enhancing
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Don't get me started...

:D

start by all means - I'm off home in a minute

Am i right in thinking that since certain things are no longer alowed the competition has been a lot fairer?
  • Options
    F1 racing, think the rules have changed but I don't follow the "sport".

They should have to race round in Vauxhall Novas, that'll make it fair!