Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Racism=out of control

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
in northern ireland, racist attacks have increased 769% in the past 6 years, this problem has escalated and y isn't the government doin anything to help curb racism, what do ppl think of teaching 4 yr olds that ppl of other race and culture are normal, if so will this work as most racist ppl come from rascist backgrounds

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HUh?

Sorry... I don't understand that.
    Rephrase without text language please...helps the understanding.
    He says that racism has escelated rapidly during the last years. He asks if teaching kids that racism is wrong, even though most people come from racist homes and that's where one supposedly gets most influence from, will help the problem?
    Thanks for that Jacqs ;)

I would imagine that in certain cases racist parents would confront the school or take the kid elsewhere, sadly. I used to browse this footie forum which was full of far right idiots and on occasion you would get one of them moaning about their kids being taught about multiculturalism at school. Another one was telling how he had paid a visit to his son's school after he had learnt the charity donations the school had been collecting were for poor people in Africa, and demanded his money back because he only wanted to support the English.

At the end of the day parents are going to have a bigger influence than the school on the kid. However it's good to put emphasis in anti-racist education, and one can only hope when those kids grow up some of them will be able to see through their parents prejudices.
    Most racism is caused by ignorance, so educating the kids does help. Even in the case of someone having racist parents an opposing view will get through at times.

I know someone who came from a family of NF supporters who despite being beaten up by them including having his arm broken refused to give up his anti-racist views he had developed at school.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Rephrase without text language please...helps the understanding.

And he was doing so well for a while there too.......:rolleyes: