Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A woman to play for an Italian Serie A team??? Is this allowed?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Italian club Perugia have set their sights on signing Sweden's leading female footballer, Hanna Ljungberg to play in Italy's top-flight. Full story here

Apparently they claim there is no specific law in Italy to ban women from playing for professional football teams, even Serie A clubs.

Is this actually allowed by UEFA or FIFA?

If it is I wasn't aware (as I reckon most people weren't either) that our beloved football clubs are open to both male and female players.

I don't have anything against on principle if she's at the level of her male counterparts. But I smell a politically-correct rat here...

Perhaps clubs will introduce female strikers in the hope that their opposition's defenders will be gentlemen and refrain from tackling them :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the banter the first female footballer would get from fans though? :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously Italy is different but in England it is not allowed to the best of my knowledge. I remember when I was younger and a lass used to play for my junior football club, she wasn't allowed to play with men (no pun intended) after a certain age group although I can't remember exactly what age group.
  • Options
    I hope not, this will only ruin the atmosphere even further.
  • Options
    Perugia have a history of signing players for publicity reasons. They were the team that brough Hedetoshi Nakata to Europe (he went on to play for Roma and Parma). After he left, they signed the South Korean Ahn Jung-Hwan in order to further their fanbase in the Far East. As it happened, he was the scorer of the goal that put Italy out of last year's World Cup. Following this the Chairman (can't remember his name, but he's a pretty volatile character) sacked Ahn, before reversing the decision, presumably due to the bad publicity it rightfully attracted. It seems therefore that Ljungberg is being used by the club as a pawn in its neverending quest for media attention.
  • Options
    i think girls can play with the guys until theyre 11, then they have to play same sex football due to different rules, particularlt ones about them being able to use their arms to protect their chests