Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First uni essay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im trying to write my first essay for uni, and I've been here for hours trying to do it but I've hardly wrote anything. Im finding it so hard not to copy what I've found from the books on the reading list, as when I've written essays before I've never really had to read stuff for it. Im worried about plagiarism.

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Don't be afriad to use books and other sources of information, but make sure you reference them. You can even copy huge chunks out of a book or off the internet. If it helps make the point you're after then it's acceptable, but make sure it's obvious that it's a quote and you reference it properly. That way it's research and quotation as opposed to plagerism
  • Options
    Bah humbug

I've just done courcework 16 of 40 for my Maths degree, stop worring start copying, aslong as you dont say its your own. And they arn't to observant, i borrow other peoples work as "study aids" all the time.... remember that "study aid" magical words

Bopz
  • Options
    perhaps its just your uni that they're not too observant, hey :eek2:
  • Options
    I'm doing my first essay tonight as well.

500 words summarising some 6 pages we download off the internet on fisheries... great fun! :crazyeyes:

I haven't written an essay since June, lol!
  • Options
    /
  • Options
    Rather than sitting down surrounded by books, wok through the question looking for the key things that theyre asking for. Then tailor your reading to those key points.

Using someone else's work to illustrate your own point is not plagiarism, but if you quote OR paraphrase you MUST cite the book, authour and PAGE NUMBER using footnotes or endnotes. University essays are more about the research than anything else, you are supposed to be reading around your subject, and using academic writing as basis for your answer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Because cheating's such a fucking good idea :rolleyes:

Bopperz clearly thinks so...they're sure to go far.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Make sure you check which reference system you need to use. My course doesn't allow footnotes. You have to cite the authors name + the date of the book whenever you use someone elses idea. Then use the Harvard system of referencing at the end. If in doubt ask the lecturers. It better to do that then get done for plagiarism, which at my uni carries heavy penalties.
  • Options
    MMM i didn't say copy somebodys work out! But everything you learn comes from one of two places.
    1) You think it up yourself, originality
    2) You read it in a book/get taught it

Assuming your not about to magicaly discover something new, everyones work in the class will revolve around what they have learnt in class or by reading the book list. Therfore everyone will, sort of, have the same knowledge and everyone essay will be similiar!
    So are you all cheating? no

One more little point, whats the differance between reading somebody elses work and then doing your own or reading a book by someone and then doing the question?

Bopz
  • Options
    Re: First uni essay