Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Wildcat Strikers

Apparently the Royal Mail are advising LOndoners to not send any mail for the next day or two, because staff at the London sorting offices keep walking out of their jobs on wildcat strikes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3223353.stm

I am of the belief that these people should be summarily dismissed, if they cannot do their job and obey by both the rules of their job and by trade union legislation then they do not deserve a job. I personally would then consider it to be that they voluntarily left their job, meaning that they cant get benefits.

People should nto be allowed to hold the country to ransom anymore.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At least you could have some sympathy with fightfighters, but Royal Mail? Plus these strikes aren't even official!
    If myself and my team walked out of work we would be fired, why is it any different here?

I know a postie and he is one lazy bastard, maybe he's leading it all!
    I wouldnt have such a problem with it if it was OFFICIAL, so we could at least prepare for the strike. But just to walk out of work one day because you cant be arsed- they should be fired, and they shouldnt be allowed to claim unemployment benefit afterwards.

Its not exactly a death-defying job, or a job where you hold responsibility for others lives. Its delivering a few letters.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I wouldnt have such a problem with it if it was OFFICIAL, so we could at least prepare for the strike. But just to walk out of work one day because you cant be arsed- they should be fired, and they shouldnt be allowed to claim unemployment benefit afterwards.

Its not exactly a death-defying job, or a job where you hold responsibility for others lives. Its delivering a few letters.

Yes.
    or a job where you hold responsibility for others lives.

some might question that ;)
    after all many establishments rely on the post to inform - ie the NHS

but I know what you mean and it is out of order - leave without authorisation - and should be treated as a disciplinary.
    So if 20,000 people are dismissed, where are the Post Office going to find 20,000 more staff to replace them? They are understaffed enough in the Post Office enough without making things worse for themselves.

And where did it say that they just walked out of work one day because they couldnt be arsed?

They actually walked out because after the initial official strikes, when the workers who were on strike returned, the managers said they couldnt have any contact with the union reprasentatives for 28 days, and put a 14 day overtime ban on them.

So they walked out again.
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    So if 20,000 people are dismissed, where are the Post Office going to find 20,000 more staff to replace them? They are understaffed enough in the Post Office enough without making things worse for themselves.

Are you suggesting that there is low unemployment in London then?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Yes?

I have no idea about the current employment situation in London to be honest. And its not just within London anymore.
    But if the Post Office sack 20,000 people, then there's going to be a lot of problems with the workers who remain.
    It would become a major game of bluffing and the government would lose.

If 20,000 people were sacked (which in my opinion is a excessive measure) you can bet your bottom dollar there would be the biggest mass walk-out in the history of Britain. Every transport, public service and unionised worker in the country would walk out and tell the government "re-instate the postal workers... or sack us all if you have the balls".

The government would certainly lose, and then be promptly be kicked out at the next election.

Sadly for as long as the postal workers do this en masse and can count on the support of other workers elsewhere, they can do what they want.

And in the meantime we haven't had any post for 4 days.
    Where is my Private Eye? :mad:
    Re: Wildcat Strikers

People should nto be allowed to hold the country to ransom anymore.

So you would have it that there were no strikes ever?

because any strike could be interprweted as 'holding the country to ransom' couldn't it?

Or is it that you disagree with this particular one rather thna strikes in general?

And you also think only people with dangerous jobs should 'be allowed' to strike? :lol:

Face it if they got the sack and you supported the situation would be far worse wouldn't it?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    We have had no normal post either, but has any else had special deliveries/signed for parcels etc from Royal Mail?

We had a theory that they were still delivering these because you get a refund as it is guaranteed next day delivery......

Damn the rest of the mail, just get out the stuff that costs us money!! I am so looking forward to the 3ft pile of mail I will have to open when they finally start delivering again..... :rolleyes:
    Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    So you would have it that there were no strikes ever?

Well in an ideal world yes.

because any strike could be interprweted as 'holding the country to ransom' couldn't it?

Or is it that you disagree with this particular one rather thna strikes in general?

I disagree with nearly all strikes, as a matter of fact. the only one that I have supported is the firemens' strike, and thats because they deserved a payrise because of the nature of the work.

If these postal workers dont like the rate of pay, theres plenty of other people whod gladly work for that.

Face it if they got the sack and you supported the situation would be far worse wouldn't it?

Its not as easy as just sacking them, Im not naive, but the unions need to be put in their place. So do the wildcat strikers- I said the same thing about the whining spoilt brats at BA during August.

Its a real shame Thatcher never managed to finish what she started, it really is.
    If Thatcher "had finished what she started", as you put it, you can be sure that the average wage for workers would be about 20% lower than it currently is. You can also be sure that workers would have very little if any rights to speak of.

Britain already has, by a million miles, the weakest unions in Europe. It is shocking how easy is for bosses to kick people out, and how little compensation if any can the worker expect. I think Thatcher did enough damage as it is, thank you.

Unless you want to base the British workforce market on the American model, where the average worker is a piece of shit with fewer rights than a Guantanamo Bay inmate, and who can be given the boot at will with little or no compensation.
    Unofficial strike...........absent without leave, in my opinion.

I know it does not work like that though, but they have unoficcially walked out, let them be replaced.
    Re: Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers

Its a real shame Thatcher never managed to finish what she started, it really is.
    before the minimum wage was introduced, unskilled jobs around n.wales were advertised as low as 2.50 an hour! how the hell were family men supposed to survive on that? break your balls all week for some fat cat bastard who would sack the entire workforce just after paying himself a million pound bonus!
    you think that kind of behaviour is acceptable while the workers are ground into the dust? if thatcher had finnished the job ...men would be cutting asbestos sheeting on circular saws and finding that for the disease ridden graft they had done ...there wasn't even a hospital they'd be able to go to to treat them!
    people who bash unions in my experience, have usualy had mummy and daddy to rely on for to long.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers

what exactly are they striking for?

there seems to be some confusion over that

anyway i think it is a bit unfair that this is causing what seems to be utter chaos for the mail system in some parts of the country.
    i think our politicians should go on strike ...do us all a favour.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    people who bash unions in my experience, have usualy had mummy and daddy to rely on for to long.

Err, maybe not eh?

Unless a £20k wage makes my family a "fat cat"...

Oh, mocha, the RM workers are striking because the RM refused them a 6% pay rise...on an already comfortable wage. The poor diddumses...

My problem is not with workers rights, its with the scum that are trade unions. Nothing that the trade unions have EVER done has benefitted anyone other than the leaders of the trade unions, I wish I could get £120,000 a year (as the leader of the RMT does) for presiding over a union struggling for members. And as for the problems in the former mining communities, the blame can go no further than Arthur Scargill- demand too much money, and people will just go and buy AUSTRALIAN coal because it is cheaper, even after a decent wage.
    the unions made great strides for workers in the last century as regards decent working conditions and hours ...the fight for a reasonable wage has been a bit two edged. some workers never getting anywhere and others getting far to much.
    i know what your saying kermit about the bad side of unions ...in the late 60's through the 70's they had way to much power and behaved very iresponsibly. god i'm drunkish.
    The Unions are there to protect their members interests.

The bosses will do all they can to protect their interests, as will politicians, as will consumers, as will parents, as will everyone, as will YOU.

How can people be 'scum' for looking out for themselves when that is exactly what everyone else does. That is how the world works..........
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

I agree with Kermit, for every fat cat boss there is a fat cat union leader.
    P.S
    My family are as working class as they come & I starting working for a living at 16.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers
    Oh, mocha, the RM workers are striking because the RM refused them a 6% pay rise...on an already comfortable wage. The poor diddumses...

Thats not the only reason that the unofficial strikes took place. Part of it was about discrimination towards workers. After the official strike had taken place, upon returning to work those who had been on strike were told that they were to have no contact with the unions reprasentatives or the unions at all for 28 days, and there was a 14 day overtime ban for anyone who had been on strike. So it was partially because of discrimination, those who hadn't gone out on strike officially weren't affected by the two conditions they imposed.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers
    After the official strike had taken place, upon returning to work those who had been on strike were told that they were to have no contact with the unions reprasentatives or the unions at all for 28 days, and there was a 14 day overtime ban for anyone who had been on strike. So it was partially because of discrimination, those who hadn't gone out on strike officially weren't affected by the two conditions they imposed.

I agree wit htheir complaint about no access to their Union rep, but they really cannot complain about the loss of overtime.

The reason that overtime became necessary was becuase of the strike. Therefore they we likely to profit from their strike action and only those whi showed some sense of loyalty towards their employer should be rewarded with the extra work/pay that followed...
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildcat Strikers
    I agree wit htheir complaint about no access to their Union rep, but they really cannot complain about the loss of overtime.

The reason that overtime became necessary was becuase of the strike. Therefore they we likely to profit from their strike action and only those whi showed some sense of loyalty towards their employer should be rewarded with the extra work/pay that followed...

That isnt necessarily true. I agree that the amount of overtime available would have increased becasue of the strike, but RM nearly always have plentiful overtime for those who want to do it. My dad works for RM and does between 40 and 50 hours a week overtime at normal times of the year, not even after strikes or at christmas. I know not everyone does that much, but if people wnt to, its nearly always there. The overtime wasn't just for the clean up operation after the official strike.
    since whe was overtime a right?
    since whe was overtime a right?

It isnt. But what I was trying to say, is that the strikes were partially about workers feeling discriminated against, because overtime was only offered to those who hadn't been on the official strikes. They felt discriminated against for striking.
    It isnt. But what I was trying to say, is that the strikes were partially about workers feeling discriminated against, because overtime was only offered to those who hadn't been on the official strikes. They felt discriminated against for striking.
    well theyre bound to.
    employers generally take a dim view of people taking time off work unofficially.
    No these unofficial strikes were in protest at their treatment after official strikes, which are protected by law.......
    I just think they are shooting themselves in the foot somewhat. Everyone knows that the post office needs to be reformed because its totally ineffective, but the workers just dont seem to accept this.

I understand that probably the management are at fault too, but these strikes and any other like them will only force more business away from RM and make sackings more likely.

They NEED to be working on their level of service so they can actualy dig themselves out of the hole they have created.

I'm not sure we need another Thatcher, but if the strikes get worse, well, it will be playing into the hands of those who say we do. If it gets a lot worse I can see Howard making ground on this issue.