Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Half Life 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Release date has slipped AGAIN
Not due out until 1st april 2004 now!!!
BASTARDS :mad:

Anyone else waiting for this earth shattering title to be released?

Comments

• Options
    yus although there is a copy floating aout out ther cause the source code was stolen that may have something to do with the slippage
  • Options
    i`m sure that copy will be shared on places like kazaa soon, thats if it hasnt already!
  • Options
    don't support that shit. the thiefage of that source code is one of the worst things that's happened to the gaming computer since that late 90's crash
  • Options
    Ya, the leakage of the source code has annoyed a LOT of people.
  • Options
    I'm fucked of with Valve! They have pissed everything up.. That new Steam powered it shite.
  • Options
    why does the leakage make that much difference? :confused:

it's inevitable that theres going to be some copyright theft; there always is!
  • Options
    Half life 2 expectations

Has anyone noticed how much expectation there is for graphics memory on this game?

I have a Athlon 3000+ with 512 ram and 128 megs of vid mem.

The only thing that is worrying me is i have a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 which i heard wont be to good quality for half life 2? anyone share the same problem? or can tell me if it will work ok?

Cheers, know the threads prob dead but hell.

K.
  • Options
    plenty of time to worry about it yet, expected release date is now early 2005 now i think.
  • Options
    The current rumour is that it should be going gold in around two weeks or so. I don't think they can risk delaying it again now that Doom 3 has gone gold.

ETA: Doom 3's optimum specs are beyond any current computer.
  • Options
    I only play CS so I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    Re: Half life 2 expectations
    Originally posted by shamonmofo
    The only thing that is worrying me is i have a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 which i heard wont be to good quality for half life 2? anyone share the same problem? or can tell me if it will work ok?

I've got that, it sucks ass :(. I'm looking to upgrade to a radeon 9600 though (not the cheap version mind you, cos that's as bad as the fx5200). Problem is they don't come cheap. The FX5200 cost me £50 and it is basically crap, on my brand new system it makes it slog along on games and I'm stuck on the lowest details. I came close to not being able to play Deus Ex 2!

Fortunately the Radeon 9600 is coming down in price, Im think around £90 now. If you have the money splash out on a Radeon 9800, probably the best buy graphics card at the moment. NVidia cards, on the whole, aren't as capable for the money you spend currently. But who knows what the future holds?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Half life 2 expectations
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I've got that, it sucks ass :(. I'm looking to upgrade to a radeon 9600 though (not the cheap version mind you, cos that's as bad as the fx5200). Problem is they don't come cheap. The FX5200 cost me £50 and it is basically crap, on my brand new system it makes it slog along on games and I'm stuck on the lowest details. I came close to not being able to play Deus Ex 2!

Fortunately the Radeon 9600 is coming down in price, Im think around £90 now. If you have the money splash out on a Radeon 9800, probably the best buy graphics card at the moment. NVidia cards, on the whole, aren't as capable for the money you spend currently. But who knows what the future holds?

Ive heard the Radeon is the best for this game but i think that alot of people are over hyping about it even tho valve have recommended it. Either way, im probably gona keep the 5200 cos i cant afford to spend alot at the moment on minor things such as this.
  • Options
    Well I got offered aSapphire Atlantis RADEON 9600 256MB for J £125 the other day so I might buy it, but atm I'm running a Hercules 3D Prophet 9600 PRO 128MB

Would that be powerfull enough...
  • Options
    I have pre-ordered this title and if the bastard dont work on my machine properly i will :crying:

Waited ages for it!

I like point and click adventures too, i used to be a hardcore monkey island addict since it come on the amiga completed them all i love them. Anyway been waiting for runaway road adventure to come out too but it keeps getting delayed constantly really takes the piss because its been out in america for fucking ages and ages. :mad:

Pissed off as well i bought thief the latest one and it says on the back "laptops not supported" cheers for mentioning that on the description play.com :mad: looks fucking quality as well.

PC gaming is great but its easier just playing on a console at least you dont have to worry about upgrading every 6 months because the technology is all there from day one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    don't support that shit. the thiefage of that source code is one of the worst things that's happened to the gaming computer since that late 90's crash

People have been arrested for it now i read a few days ago..

Quite a few people was involved and they will be punished to the full extent of the law probably because its caused shit loads of grief.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    PC gaming is great but its easier just playing on a console at least you dont have to worry about upgrading every 6 months because the technology is all there from day one.

All part of the Fatcat industry in which Bill gates and his possy rub their hands slyly..I would much rather play games on PS2 if mine hadnt fallen and broke :mad: The original half-life on ps2 was just as good cos as there was alot more control, plus you dont have to worry about framerates, resolution and Megabytes :confused: well just have to wait and see but my guess is that this is all a bit conspiring as ATI have been working with half-life 2 and seem to be plugging their cards frequently when i think that the game may not need such a powerful card...they just know that people so interested in the game would go and buy a top end card and be dissapointed to learn that it didnt make much difference.
  • Options
    There was a very old point a click game when I was about 8, I forgot what it was called but you was some kind of biker and your bike broke down in some kind of town, I remember you had to go to some gas tower to get petrol ect and the police tried to kill you, I cant remember much, anyone remember it?
  • Options
    Full Throttle?? guy with the black leather jacket..was it the one where u kicked the door down of a caravan and that fat bloke was in it... i remember the start, think he was in a bin or something.
  • Options
    but my guess is that this is all a bit conspiring as ATI have been working with half-life 2 and seem to be plugging their cards frequently when i think that the game may not need such a powerful card...they just know that people so interested in the game would go and buy a top end card and be dissapointed to learn that it didnt make much difference.

Yeah that wouldn`t surprise me one little bit actually.

With me im just gonna buy it and if it works it works if not i`ll have to try and play it on someone elses machine or buy a desktop PC with a shit hot graphics card later on.

One thing that bugs me with console gaming though is why dont they bring out a mouse so you can play the first person shooters with that....lot better experience and easier then a controller.

I bought medal of honor rising sun on xbox it was fuckin shite and it made it 10x worse because working off a controller is so wank for a game like that, it took 10 shots to hit anything especially when close up to the enemy.
    Fucking shite.
  • Options
    Medal of honour games are like that alot of the time :crazyeyes end up getting killed and frustrated, not playing it for weeks then going back to it and finding that somesones deleted your progress.
  • Options
    Full Throttle?? guy with the black leather jacket..was it the one where u kicked the door down of a caravan and that fat bloke was in it... i remember the start, think he was in a bin or something.

omg.. you remember.. I remember playing that.. it was so long ago it was on a BnW monitor :( *wants it*
  • Options
    Medal of honour games are like that alot of the time :crazyeyes end up getting killed and frustrated, not playing it for weeks then going back to it and finding that somesones deleted your progress.

yes... mouse/keyboard for FPS on ALL CONSOLES it would make life alot easier, thats why I love the old PC base FPS,
  • Options

Yeah, if you had a mouse though you`d have more control over your aim and your stress levels would come down as well i hate having to throw my controller on the floor then start over again lol.... my patience wants me to progress not keep going over old ground until i get pissed off and switch off.

With all these consoles online now surely that opens the market to go all pc like with accesorys i think they got keyboards available thats it...
  • Options
    Full Throttle on Amazon for £4.96! XP compatible.

If u wana relive it, buy it here haha! :D class..nostalgia runs cooly.
  • Options
    Full Throttle on Amazon for £4.96! XP compatible.

If u wana relive it, buy it here haha! :D class..nostalgia runs cooly.

A game like that would take a beast of a machine to run it though surely.... :D :chin:
  • Options
    my god.. thats it :hyper: omfg..it's so fucking cool.. don't you think :D

*looks for a download as im a cheapskate*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    *looks for a download as im a cheapskate*

I downloaded monkey island 1 and 2 and sam and max hit and run ages ago.

Cool but they never have any sound half the time probably to keep the file nice and small i suppose.

I dont download software very often because they tend to make your system run shitter afterwards i`ve noticed with some.
  • Options
    Haha Full throttle was one of those games you could probably of fit on a floppy disk..requires like 3mb harddisk space and 75 mhz for the best quality..some ppl didnt even have that back in the days! lol! :lol:
  • Options
    Another classis was "Beneath a steel sky" where u played this bloke trying to escape a city where he had crashed with a sidekick robot who helps out. Came out ages ago. Anyone remember it?
  • Options
    Another classis was "Beneath a steel sky" where u played this bloke trying to escape a city where he had crashed with a sidekick robot who helps out. Came out ages ago. Anyone remember it?

Yeah was on amiga but never managed to play it!

Best point and click out at the moment is broken sword - sleeping dragon class game completed it twice.

Out on all formats as well think i saw it on gameplay or something for £15 when they had a sale on, bargain for that price.

I preordered half life 2 on play.com for £26.99 but sometimes they have latest titles for PC for £17.99 :eek: