Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is it true?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive heard that as of tomorrow, cannabis is going to be decriminalised in the UK.. ie ok to have for personal consumption in private property and away from kids.

tell me this is nice and true :)

Comments

• Options
    No, decrimination is NOT on the cards at all. It will be moved down to class C at some point, although I dont know when but that does NOT mean it is decriminalised. If a police man/woman wants to push it you could still go to court over a small amount.
  • Options
    im dumb, class C was what i meant. not decriminalised! i wish!

but i heard it was moved down as of wednesday which will be tomorrow.
  • Options
    I would doubt it, I've been listening to Radio Four all morning and I havent heard anything about it at all.
    I'll check the home office website and see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    This leflet says july 2003, but has got some interesting info;

http://www.drugs.gov.uk/ReportsandPublications/Communications/1034866081/Cannabis_leaflet.pdf

And this is from the slighty suspect 'talktofrank' website;

"Reclassification of cannabis

The Government is looking to reclassify cannabis from a Class B to a Class C drug and if approved by Parliament, the new legislation will take effect on 29 January 2004 across the United Kingdom.

Reclassification means the Government acknowledge that cannabis is not as harmful as other Class B substances like Speed. But the supply and possession of cannabis will still be illegal. Penalties for supplying will stay the same (with a maximum of 14 years). The maximum prison sentence for possession will be reduced from five years to two. Fines and other non-custodial sentences like compulsory community service will still apply.

For those over 18, most offences of cannabis possession are likely to result in a warning and confiscation of the drug. But you could be arrested if you smoke in a public place, near a place where there are children e.g a school, or where public order is at risk. Those who repeatedly commit offences will be arrested and will be prosecuted.

If you are under 18, and it's your first offence of cannabis possession you will normally be arrested, taken to the police station and given a warning or a reprimand.

If it's not your first offence, you will be given either a final warning or you will be charged. If you have been given a warning in the past and you get caught again you'll most likely be charged. When you get a warning you are referred to the local Youth Offending team (YOT)."

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    damn.

yup that helps get my head clearer! thx
  • Options
    No problem, not that the law change will really make any serious difference to Londoners anyway, theres always smokers around where I live and the police really make no efforts to get them.
  • Options
    i just think it would be a weight off my mind.
  • Options
    downgrading to class c will we are hoping make it easier to open a private smokers club as opposed to a cafe. freinds are studying the legal implications as i type. it will still be illegal but ...a lot easier to deal with the courts and the old bill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    downgrading to class c will we are hoping make it easier to open a private smokers club as opposed to a cafe. freinds are studying the legal implications as i type. it will still be illegal but ...a lot easier to deal with the courts and the old bill.

I think fears of private smokers clubs play a big part in the government not downgrading.
  • Options
    I can see them happening in a very low key fashion, but I really think it will be a situation a bit like clubs, where its still illegal and you could get raided any day but the police choose not too. Proper cafe's are a long way off.