Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Michel Houellebecq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone heard of him? He's a French writer, lives in Ireland. Writes some quite profound novels. Recently, they've been translated into English. If you want to give his books a read, you should be able to get them in a library. so far he's written: Whatever, Atomised, Platform and I think there's a new one on the way called Lanzarote. Anybody read any of his books?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have read a few, but they were all in spanish, i'm pretty sure one was called El Mundo Como Supermercado. I wasn't aware that his books had been translated into english.
    I think Michel Houellebecq is a good writer, not the best maybe, but definately worth reading.
    What do you think of his works?
    Also, if you aren't already aware, Lanzarote has been published. It is about two german lesbians who try and seduce a copper.
    I have read Atomised and am currently reading Whatever. There's something about his novels that just makes you want to read on and on, which is always good, I think his use of language is quite effective as well. Apparently though he doesn't like secularity. If that's in the sense of not paying attention to our spiritual side, fine, but if he's saying he doesn't like non-religious people, then he'd probably hate me because I'm an atheist who believes that organised religion is the cause of more than a few problems. I guess it doesn't matter if I like his writing though? I don't think I've heard of the book you've read. Maybe it hasn't been translated into English. Is it any good?
    It was quite good, i am pretty sure it has been translated into english, tho i'm not certain. I'll check it out for you.
    I think the same about religion as you. I think it's nothing but trouble. Let me know what you think of the book your reaading;)
    I've just finished Whatever today. Have to say that some parts of it seem very true, like the theory that in a world of economic and sexual liberation some people will get on very well while others live a life of misery and failure in one or two of those fields. (Not that such liberation is a bad thing at all, it can just have its drawbacks). I'd recommend it to anybody who's sick and tired of celebrity gossip and wants to read something more interesting.

Atomised tends to be a bit all over the place, but is worth giving a go, though it will be by no means an easy read for everyone. Prudish or faint-hearted people would not get on well with it. I must admit I didn't quite get the plot of it when I read it but I think Houellebecq portrayed the characters well (they seemed very real) and wrote in quite a poignant way which appealed to me.

I haven't read Platform yet, but may give it a go sometime in the future. I think he got in trouble with the Muslims a little bit for that one (the story features a tourist whose wife is killed in an Islamic terrorist attack) but I'll have to see for myself whether the book is really that controversial. I hope it isn't because I don't want Houellebecq to get a fatwa placed against him.