Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fred Phelps

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to post another gay rights-style thread. When I was looking up some info on gay bishops to reply to MoonRat (see Politics and Debate > Are gay people discriminated against), I came across the following:
Pastor glories in death of gay student
I can't believe anyone could be so utterly disgusting. Matthew Shepard's sexual preference is not the issue here, for me. What is the issue is that anyone would go out of their way to hurt the family of a mudder victim in such a way.

OK, so I'm not too hot on the "God hates fags" doctrine either. But that aside this is still sick and wrong.

Picc.
xxx

Comments

• Options
    Should be shot on sight, and any descendants of him sterelised to ensure his evil genes are removed for ever from the human gene pool.

Freedom of expression ends at scum like him.
  • Options
    Re: Fred Phelps

Hey Picc!

This guy is an extremist. You get extremists in every religon and their beliefs are a perversion of what the faith actually practices.

Nowhere in the Bible does God say he hates fags. Some may understand him to hate the "act" of homosexuality but it's just that - the act and NOT the individual.

The Christian doctrine is that God loves everyone - regardless.

This guy is not a Christian in the true sense of the word just as Osama Bin Laden is not a true Muslim.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Fred Phelps
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Nowhere in the Bible does God say he hates fags. Some may understand him to hate the "act" of homosexuality but it's just that - the act and NOT the individual.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, thanks in part to people like him, many people go through life believing that they 'can't' be gay or they will be rejected by God. I really, really hope he is stopped from putting up his hateful monument.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Fred Phelps
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Hey Picc!

This guy is an extremist. You get extremists in every religon and their beliefs are a perversion of what the faith actually practices.

This guy is not a Christian in the true sense of the word just as Osama Bin Laden is not a true Muslim.

"Man shall not lie next to man, nor woman beside woman"

Oooh shit and I shared a tent with two girls in cubscouts :p

One thing I find funny about Christians is that they're forever sinning. "Thou shalt not judge" and if most Christians were true Christians they would live in poverty because "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven".

My opinion? That what was a very beautiful book has been bastardised by the church. Ohhohh... Did you know that women were only granted souls by the church in 1545 (and that was by the majority of three votes)? Just thought I'd add that... and it's even debateable that 'God' is male. In the Peshitta version of the Syramic Ariac version of the Gospels which were thought to be the absolute earliest Biblical texts (probably from around second centuary AD before Christianity was known) the first line of the Lord's Prayer, or then the equivalent goes:

Abwoon d'bwashmaya

Which roughly translates as

A Absolute force, divine, oneness
    bw Creation, birth, a blessing from the unity/oneness
    oo The breath of the spirit that carries the flow
    n a vibration that becomes form.

Does that suggest that 'God' or the creator is gendered? Nope, but then the norms and vales of that time have twisted it to fit the ideals of the ruling class. Oooh and Paul was a homophobe, a real knobshaft.

In other words, were the Biblical sciptures originally homophobic, intolerant of other religions and mysoginistic? Or is it how the church interpretted them in their favour?

(Sources taken from Shamanism - Leo Rutherford & the Bible)

On a lighter note... If I saw that bastard in the street I'd kick him 'til he bled.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Fred Phelps
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Oooh and Paul was a homophobe, a real knobshaft.

not really sure I agree with that - read what he said in from the original texts and you will discover his work has been corupted by poor and bigotted translations.

paul was against "sexual imorality" but wrote extensivley about there being niether slave nor free, male or female etc in christ - that christ died for freedom

on your point about other scriptures that have not made it into the bible luke 1:1 is interesting

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

this is not to say that other text not in the Bible are invalid, although some may think this. but if the bible is a divine inspired book, then one has to have faith that the book they have is complete and accurate.
  • Options
    Thought I'd share this humourous jibe I received via email from a friend. It is aimed at all such bigotted and hate-filled extremists.

Enjoy! :)

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that she holds homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.

Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree.

Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.

Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.
  • Options
    LOL. Brilliant one Clan! I shall save this for the next time I encounter a god-botherer. :D
  • Options
    not really sure I agree with that - read what he said in from the original texts and you will discover his work has been corupted by poor and bigotted translations.

Actually yeah I'll agree with you, but then the amount of translations it has had, I doubt it'd be all that accurate. I'd imagine it would benefit the upper classes to translate it in to something that would benefit their values. But by reading the original texts... do you have a copy?

Most of my Bibles are fairly recent.

Still, if 'Christians' live by the book as they say... then why do they point the finger at homosexuals when only God is allowed to judge? Does that not make them sinners too?
  • Options
    Still, if 'Christians' live by the book as they say... then why do they point the finger at homosexuals when only God is allowed to judge? Does that not make them sinners too?
    Well yes. But we are all sinners. We can't jusge them for judging others... How confusing!
  • Options
    Actually yeah I'll agree with you, but then the amount of translations it has had, I doubt it'd be all that accurate. I'd imagine it would benefit the upper classes to translate it in to something that would benefit their values. But by reading the original texts... do you have a copy?

Most of my Bibles are fairly recent.

The answer is yes. Its a pity that some Christians forget this. Jesus spoke out often against so-called religious leaders and those who distorted the Word for there own means.

He also made a point of showing compassion for those on the outskirts of society or who had been ostracized as he said it was for God to judge.