Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Beggers and drug addicts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I would say that alcoholism and alcohol abuse causes far more social and financial damage than drug addiction.

Actually the issues around problem alcohol use are fairly similar to the ones around problem drug use, although drugs obviously have the added complication of being illegal. But the issues that people deal with in overcoming their problems can be similar.
  • Options
    No of course they are similar in terms of the individual addiction, what I was talking about was the collective harm caused.
  • Options
    I donate to charities rather than give money to people on the streets which does more to help them i.e., if you supported a charity which gives the homeless soup and a bed for the night then it's going to make more difference that giving money to an individual homeless person who is probably going to, understandably, waste it.
    Fair play to big issue sellers though, that should be a step to getting off the streets, but it isn't, I've seen the same guy in Kingston for years.
  • Options
    page 15 of the independant today ...around 50% of rough sleepers have mental health problems ...more than a quarter have lived in care ...then chucked onto the street.

so thats 3/4 of them who can't realy be accused of being bad or useless people. they are fellow humans who need our compassion.
    i reckon theres a good bal;ance here between direct givers and charity givers. both sets are needed.
  • Options
    from
    http://www.drugs.gov.uk/ReportsandPublications/Communities/1039175501/Drug_services_homeless_people.pdf

page 15 point 2.4 drug use among homeless people is estimated at between 66 and 76 % - high, but this still means that 6-7 out of every 10 beggers you see probably uses drugs while the other 3-4 don't
  • Options
    Wouldn't you give money to this man?

beggar.jpg

:D
  • Options
    :lol:

i had that pinned on my notice board at work for a long time

it disapeared during an office move
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Wouldn't you give money to this man?

beggar.jpg

:D
    I'd have to drop a coin in ...just for brightening my day!