Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Part-time job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm a student studying HNC at college, working desperately hard to try for second year entry into Art School next September, and work part-time at a video shop.

However, due to being under-staffed I was thrown from two to five shifts a week last month which obviously distracted me from my studies. I'd enrolled in a costly portfolio building evening class, essential for Art School, and told the manager in advance I was unable to work on the Monday nights it was on until Christmas when it finished. He was happy with that, so you can imagine my horror on discovering I was penciled in on his rota on my FIRST class. There was nothing he could do apparently when I disputed it, even though they get members from other stores all the time. I was nice enough to do it though, even though it put me behind in my class directly from the start.

I have two essential Open Days on the 30th and 31st of this month, so again I told my manager WELL in advance I wanted the 30th to the 5th of November off (as it is my 19th birthday) as a holiday which, again, he agreed to. Last Thursday I received a call from him though sheepishly asking "What days do you want off again?". When I told him he, in a deliberate shocked tone, said "You can't take ALL THOSE days off! We're under-staffed!". You can imagine my anger, but being the kind person I am (;)!) I let it go and simply asked for my Open Days off which was fine, apparently.

HOWEVER, on Friday I'd found out he'd sneekily put me in on the 31st, my Edinburgh College Of Art Open Day, without even the decency to tell me. No apology, no explanation, I only heard it when a part-time member of staff mentioned it in a passing conversation. Apparently, some other employee has a concert to go to and refuses to do his shift that day, chosing to phone in sick the hour before. So, basically, I have to go to up there on the 31st and if he's bothered to show up I have to GO HOME!

I'm in serious anger here, and don't see why I should suffer when I did everything properly while he can just act like a c@nt and get away with it. I mean, this is the decider on where I'm going to study for the next 3 or 4 years, for God's sake!

This job's ruining my education, I've never had a holiday or a week off in my whole 11 months there and they couldn't just give me this 1 week. I seriously want a new job, or perhaps get a loan and focus on my lagging studies (various teachers have commented on how bad my work is this year compared to last). I'm getting depressed, the people there I don't usually get on with anyway. I just fear a new job could make matters worse. Surely everyone else can see how bad this is?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    QUIT. JOB.

Your studies should come first, is what Ive always told myself.
  • Options
    Just throw a sickie on these days he's forced you to work after telling you that you could have them off. If he can be unreasonable so the heck can you.
  • Options
    *slightly off topic, im sure there were more replies in here last time i looked... :confused: *

I would seriously consider quitting ur job, esp as at this time of year there are plenty of xmas jobs available, to tide u over till the new year. I dont think ur job is worth the amount of aggro ur getting from ur boss, who sounds like hes on some kind of power trip over u and prob other staff too. that kind of boss sucks major monkey balls!
    I can see how u'd be worried about people at a new job making things worse, but most bosses are reasonable with students and take into account that their education comes first.
  • Options
    Most places have a policy that they let student workers go and do open days and things, try being a little bit more persuasive or just throw a sickie. And next time don't ask. just throw a sickie or they will wonder why you magically phone in sick on the days you asked off. If there screwing you over don't feel guilty about screwing them over with a sickie or two or maybe take the whole weekend off!

Bopz
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    did you sign any sort of contract when you started? if you did check it out, he probably isn't allowed to mess about with the amount of hours you work.