Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Are gay people discriminated against ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone feel that gay people are discriminated as far as job careers go ? Do you think gay people can make it in the business they are good at or do you think maybe because of the fact they are gay they dont have as much chance as someone who is not gay.
Do you think on a whole society now accept people who are gay or is there still a big stigma attached ? If you were an employer and you had two candiates who were equally suitable for the job, but one was gay and the other was straight would it affect your decision in any way ?

I personally would not let someones sexuality affect me in anyway. I know many gay people and they are just like my straight friends. I think in some ways my gay friends are nicer, I dont know why but they just seem a lot more easier to talk about things and they give me honest opinions, so it could be that they are gay or the fact that they are genuinely nice people.

What are your opinions ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree that if i had the choice between one straight and one gay candidate i wouldn't have a predjudice against either of them on the grounds of sexuality. I wouldn't be surprised if i hired the gay one though because in my experience of the friends i have and people i've met, gays are almost always much more pleasant and relaxed. Of course that's just a general observation of what might happen. i wouldn't hire someone jsut because they were gay.

I don't feel there's that much gay discrimination in businesses, but i think there's still a lot of it in general society, which is a shame. but i'm pretty sure that it will gradually get less and less, just like everything else does. people just lose interest
    Depends where you work, but im sure it is an issue in some places. Individual interviewers will have their own prejudices.
    Where I work, 2 out of 4 of the managers are openly gay, and I think a couple of my other colleagues are (or swing both ways) I think I can safely say that gay people are not discriminated against at Gala clubs .:)
    if i was interviewing someone for a job i wouldn't ask them about their sex lives. if they insisted on telling me about it ...i wouldn't employ either of them.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if they insisted on telling me about it ...i wouldn't employ either of them.

Can I ask why ?

Also if you were an employer and you had two juniors, then one of them was facing promotion, one was gay and one was straight (but you would probably know about their sexuality by this time because they would have been working for you) would that affect your choice ?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Can I ask why ?

cos i believe your sex life is your private life. why would i want to know who your shagging and how your shagging them when i want someone to shovel coal or work the till?
    i wouldn't want to know your politics or your fave drink either. i'd want to know if you'd be any good at the job. reliable. trustworthy etc. if you sat in the interview and suddenly started telling me all about your personal life, without me asking it would be a case of ...next please!
    if they had the same qualifications then id go for the one i got on with best, regardless of sexuality. In all probability i think id choose the gay one as im such a fag hag. Unless they were old gross gay. I prefer them to be young gorgeous `camper than a row of tents` type gay.
    I personally would not let someones sexuality affect me in anyway. I know many gay people and they are just like my straight friends. I think in some ways my gay friends are nicer, I dont know why but they just seem a lot more easier to talk about things and they give me honest opinions, so it could be that they are gay or the fact that they are genuinely nice people.

I know lots of gay people, but gay blokes... well a lot of the ones I know are really two faced and bitchy, although not all are. My lesbian friends are very cool though, but camp lads... well I'll be honest and say that they sometimes annoy me, I mean the whole camp act can only go so far and I'm a butch so it doesn't appeal to me.
    cos i believe your sex life is your private life. why would i want to know who your shagging and how your shagging them when i want someone to shovel coal or work the till?

I actually agree... in fact I don't like people telling me about their sex lives, period. Especially not ones who shout it around.

I don't discriminate because I don't see them as different, honestly. My brother's gay and I can usually tell if a person is gay or les but it's like... Well whatever. If I worked in an office I'd pick whoever was the most charismatic.
    Sometimes you can tell just by looking they are gay so they may not have to shout their sexuality.

Edited to add that was for Mr Rolls benefit :)
    i wouldn't want to know your politics or your fave drink either. i'd want to know if you'd be any good at the job. reliable. trustworthy etc. if you sat in the interview and suddenly started telling me all about your personal life, without me asking it would be a case of ...next please!

Here Here!

When it comes down to it, I really don't care if someone is bi/straight or gay, at the end of the day I don't care what you do when you go home at night, sorry.

If your the best person I will employ you, if your not see ya, end of.
    Sometimes you can tell just by looking they are gay so they may not have to shout their sexuality.

Edited to add that was for Mr Rolls benefit :)

Now you mentioning diplomacy and all in the other thread; That comment above was prejudiced.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Now you mentioning diplomacy and all in the other thread; That comment above was prejudiced.
    I think she was just clarifying a point that got a bit muddled and the mr. roll picked up on. The way i understood it was that if i *assumed* someone was gay and someone not, would it affect my decision to hire them. I think Roll saw it as actually being specifically told during the decision making process.

Becky's comment was just trying to make that clearer. I don't think there was any predjudice involved.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I prefer them to be young gorgeous `camper than a row of tents` type gay.

I think thats all the evidence you need to repsond to Beckys question with a resounding yes.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

How was it prejudiced? Are you telling me that you have never seen someone and knew they were gay ?

Im sure a lot of gay people would back me up and say that you can tell if some people are gay by the way they look/dress.

I am as already stated NOT prejudiced towards gay people so please do not try to twist what I say.
    How was it prejudiced? Are you telling me that you have never seen someone and knew they were gay ?

Im sure a lot of gay people would back me up and say that you can tell if some people are gay by the way they look/dress.
    Good supporting examples:

-Richard Simmons
    -Elton John
    -George Michael
    -Boy George
    -Liberace
    -kd lang

Did anyone really need to ask?

Call me prejudiced if you wish, but if I found out my proctologist was gay, he'd be fired in a heartbeat.
    Originally posted by Hot Rob

Call me prejudiced if you wish, but if I found out my proctologist was gay, he'd be fired in a heartbeat.
    And by the same token, there are no male gynecologists?

I am as already stated NOT prejudiced towards gay people so please do not try to twist what I say.

You where the one to bring diplomacy up, not me ;)

And yes, with some people you can sense whether or not they're gay, but it would be going a bit far saying that you know if they haven't specifically told you.

I can come up with a lot of examples of people from personal life who've been thought to be gay, who turned out not to be. Or who when asked have specifically said that they weren't.
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Said to be better than woman.

Isn't that like a mechanic who has never owned his own car?:confused:
    i've been told that women prefer older men to be their gynocologist ...cos their hands shake ...
    I think generally discrimination is less of an issue these days. In most jobs it wouldn't be a problem. I am not "out" at work, but not because I think the charity would turn round and say "Right, out!", but more because I don't particularly want them to know.

But I think discrimination is an issue in schools. (Sorry if I am changing tack here). I mean this in terms of teachers, not students. One teacher of mine is gay and she faced a lot of stick when this became common knowledge. There was a lot of talk from parents of putting pressure on the school to fire her, because it's a single-sex school. (I ought to add, male teachers are not considered a problem).

So, in a round-about way I guess I'm saying that it might have a lot to do with the profession. Am I making any sense? It's late. I'm tired!

Picc.
    xxx
    Isn't that like a mechanic who has never owned his own car?:confused:
    No answer, then?

Allow me to let you in on a little secret. Your proctologist is gay. And he doesn't fancy you :D
    Allow me to let you in on a little secret. Your proctologist is gay. And he doesn't fancy you :D
    Good point. Why do straight people assume all gay people fancy them? *tut* Sorry that's not the issue at hand. Just an aside.
    piccolo your right though :D
    No answer, then?

I'm OK with that, but he's still fired.
    awwwww come on, there's no need to be like that, just take him out once or twice. buy him some flowers. i'm sure he'll grow to like you :p
    piccolo your right though :D
    I am?! Really?! :hyper: Yay! (Erm... about what?)

but on what basis?

becasue he is gay?

then you too should be fired under sex discrimination laws

edited to say that I have just realised that you are probably a client, not the employer.
    It seems to me that Hot Rob is the kind of person who will make staements that go against what other epople are saying and never back them up, waste of space..............
    i've been told that women prefer older men to be their gynocologist ...cos their hands shake ...

:lol::lol::lol:

How come they aren't allowed gay priests?